cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony Xperia Z1 Compact won't turn on - just red flashing light (still in warranty)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello All,

I had about 40% battery yesterday evening and in the morning I found phone turned off.

• Tried to turn on - no luck. 
  • Plug to the wall charger - a red light appeared and started blinking in a loop (3s red, 1s pause, 3s red etc.)
  • Tried with different charger - same as above.
  • Conected to laptop through USB - red light as normally when charging but no battery icon and scrren still black. Tried to turn on and blinking come back.
  • I left on charging for a while and tried hard reset (power button + volume up) - nothing.
  • Tried also a magic reset buttonnear the SIM card slot - also with no luck.

1. Do you have any other suggestions?
  2. Do you think O2 guru would be able to fix it?
  3. Also, is the any handling fee if I decline engineer's quote?

I'm about to visit O2 store this afternoon but would like to avoid giving my phone away for repair as going away for few days this Friday. 

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Tom

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

Sounds like you've done everything so a repair is the only option.
O2 will inspect the phone and tell you if it is covered by warranty or not and quote for repair if not covered. This is free and no obligation, however, we usually recommend that you contact Sony directly as o2 repairs don't have a good reputation.

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/hub/prd-mob

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

Sounds like you've done everything so a repair is the only option.
O2 will inspect the phone and tell you if it is covered by warranty or not and quote for repair if not covered. This is free and no obligation, however, we usually recommend that you contact Sony directly as o2 repairs don't have a good reputation.

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/hub/prd-mob

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Make sure you take plenty of pictures of the handset before sending it away for repair. If your screen "mysteriously" breaks during transit or any other damage somehow occurs, you will have photographic evidence it wasn't like that before sending it.

Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your suggestion.

Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was definately going to do that hearing these stories before 😃 Thank you.

Message 5 of 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Did you hold the reset button down for 7 seconds?
Message 6 of 12

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Other things to try.
Hold volume button down while connecting to pc via USB, does the light flash green then red immediately,? If so you may want to run pc companion and run a repair installation from update screen.
Message 7 of 12

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
If you need to send it off,
pay attention to taking very clear pictures of ALL the ports opened,
Make sure you specify you want a port vacuum test, this will rule out or indicate water damage with closed ports.
Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Thank you for suggestion of port vacuum test - I have never heard about this one before.

I have held reset button for numerous timings - from 10 seconds even to 2 minutes and nothing.

Connecting via USB to laptop/PC with down volume button did not bring anything else than flashing red light.

Just to be 100% sure I have downloaded developer's version of Emma (http://developer.sonymobile.com/services/flash-tool/) to check if this will make any difference. I have connected phone holding down volume button (as on http://developer.sonymobile.com/services/flash-tool/supported_phones/) but still nothing.

I have logged a repair on Sony's website and will send the phone at some point next week. 

Does SBE also do repairs for O2 so it does not matter if repair booked through store or directly via Sony?

Thanks again for all your sugestions.

Message 9 of 12

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Book through Sony, always.
Honestly, some of the O2 warranty stories on here will give you nightmares.
Message 10 of 12