cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Update???

Anonymous
Not applicable

my phone keeps telling me to do a software update to Android 6.0 Marshmallow......thing is im scared of losing anything on my phone by doing this software update. On previous phones ive had, when ive done software updates, some data has been lost i.e. music messages photo's etc......and as I have a lot of precious things on my phone from my late husband, i am so scared of doing this update and losing things, please can somebody tell me if i will still have everything as normal, after doing the update.

Thanks

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Nothing should change at all but if you have important stuff on your phone you should be backing it up to a cloud or pc.
What phone is it?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Nothing should change at all but if you have important stuff on your phone you should be backing it up to a cloud or pc.
What phone is it?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 13

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You won't lose anything but you should back up the phone first. It's always advisable to back up monthly anyway.

Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Its a Samsung S6 Edge, my phone is backed up, on the phone itself, but I think i will back it up on my pc too
Message 4 of 13

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Download Kies 3 and do a full back up.
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/

Currently using:
Message 5 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

If the things on your phone are that precious, you shouldn't be keeping them solely on your phone anyway. What would happen if you lost the phone? Back everything up, as the others have suggested.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 13

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Does kies 3 now support s6 range @MI5?
Previously it told me I could only use smartswitch
Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Kies will back it up and smartswitch is for moving data from one phone to another now I believe.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 13

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I thought it did too but I was told elsewhere that it wouldn't.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 13