cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S4 mini - stuck in a shutdown/restart loop

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had my S4 mini for about 2 years but this morning it has started getting stuck in a shutdown/restart loop but only when the wifi or mobile data is switched on. If they are off it still works as a normal phone with no problems.

I suspect an app is trying to download an update and that is causing the problem, but I've got no idea how to check or how to stop it from happening. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 27
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
OK, so no choice other than a full factory reset, however, this will delete everything from your phone, so either make a full backup with Smartswitch / Kies http://www.samsung.com/uk/smart-switch/ or copy any photos, videos etc to your PC.
After backing up boot into recovery mode again and choose the option to "wipe all user data / factory reset".
You will need to re enter your Google account details when you re start the phone.
If this fails to fix the issue it means you have a hardware fault so the phone would have to go back to Samsung for a repair under warranty if less than 2 years old.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Firstly pull the battery out for 5 mins then try again.
If that doesn't work we'll try something else.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I tried that and it was fine until I put the data on.

Message 3 of 27

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
OK.
Turn off and boot into recovery mode (Hold Vol Up + Home + Power until android robot appears on screen).
Once the menu is loaded use the volume keys to navigate to "clear cache" and press power button.
Then choose option to restart now and try it again.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried that but it didn't work...

Message 5 of 27

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
OK, so no choice other than a full factory reset, however, this will delete everything from your phone, so either make a full backup with Smartswitch / Kies http://www.samsung.com/uk/smart-switch/ or copy any photos, videos etc to your PC.
After backing up boot into recovery mode again and choose the option to "wipe all user data / factory reset".
You will need to re enter your Google account details when you re start the phone.
If this fails to fix the issue it means you have a hardware fault so the phone would have to go back to Samsung for a repair under warranty if less than 2 years old.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was afraid you would say that!

Thanks - will do when I get home.

Message 7 of 27

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Sorry 😞
Let us know how it goes later.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

My s4 mini is doing the excact same, started doing it this morning. When i hold volume up + home + power key nothing is happening. Any other way of doing it?

Message 9 of 27

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Any other way of doing it?

No, make sure phone is off - take out battery for a min and replace, then make sure you press the buttons in the order I posted and keep holding them all until you see the android robot.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 27