cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S4 freezes?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello - I have just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S4 (four days ago) and in that time it has frozen five times. The phone is switched on because a small blue light flashes periodically at the top left of the phone, but it refuses to activate. On the first occasion I took the phone to the shop and the person there said that this happens 'very rarely', removed the battery, put it back in and re-started the phone and all seemed to be fine. Unfortunatley this has happened four times since and I'm quite concerned.The phone is part of a contract over 24 months. I have just moved from a much older phone and didn't expect this problem given the latest technology and the phone's price tag. Can anyone advise - is there something I should be doing to avoid this issue, or is a basic fault with this particular handset? I am well within my 14 day period and if necessary will request another handset but wondered what advice other more experienced users might have? Many thanks in advance from a frustrated new user!  slight_smile 

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23167 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

Your best choice would be to either ask for a new phone, while you're still within the cooling off period, or ask for a similarly priced different phone. There's obviously a fault with the phone. If it's happened that often in such a short period of time, it will only be asking for trouble if you hang onto it in the hope that it will right itself. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144730 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions
It's not common and it shouldn't be doing it.
There are lots of possibilities but as it's a new phone within 14 days I would take it back and not rest until the phone was replaced with a new one.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

Bambino
  • 23167 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

Your best choice would be to either ask for a new phone, while you're still within the cooling off period, or ask for a similarly priced different phone. There's obviously a fault with the phone. If it's happened that often in such a short period of time, it will only be asking for trouble if you hang onto it in the hope that it will right itself. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks for your reply - my thoughts too but wanted to make sure more experienced android users agreed! I'll contact them today slight_smile

Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks very much - I'll contact them today. Don't want to have to go through this on such a regular basis - it's not reliable!! Hope the next handset is trouble free! Thanks!

Message 5 of 11

Bambino
  • 23167 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

You're welcome. Good luck. Hope you can get it sorted quickly. As MI5 has said, do not take no for an answer. You're well within the time frame, and most definitely within your rights to ask for a new phone. Please come back and let us know how you got on. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks very much - I'll contact them today. Don't want to have to go through this on such a regular basis - it's not reliable!! Hope the next handset is trouble free! Thanks!

Good morning  @Anonymous  --  Sorry to hear the S4 is letting you down.  I have had one for 8 months now and it has been trouble free.   Just one little point to make and forgive me if I am "teaching granny to suck eggs" -  have you checked that the battery is well charged? 

Gerry

Message 7 of 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Once you get a new phone, add the apps you use one at a time just in case there was an issue with one of those. In particular don't use any battery saving apps as they aren't needed and can cause issues.

Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol! All suggestions appreciated! Yes - fully charged last night but problem still persists. I did a lot of research into handsets before selecting the S4 and am convinced it's the right one for me - obviously there's just a glitch with this particular phone. Hopefully a new phone will resolve the issue Wave

Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello and thanks for your respose. The phone came preloaded with a lot of apps - all I have added is Facebook and Facebook messenger. At the end of using the phone I always make sure to close all my apps (the lady in the shop showed me how to do this). I don't have any kind of battery saving device added (haven't had time to figure out all these options yet!! LOL!). I think the phone itself must have a problem - it's so new I really don't think I've done anything to it, particularly given that the problem started on the very first day Smiley Frustrated  Hopefully a new handset will be the answer to my problem although I do plan to stick to the S4 because from what I've reviewed I think it will best meet my needs. Many thanks slight_smile

Message 10 of 11