cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung A3 seems to be corrupting sd cards

Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP ! Please ?

About a month ago, I upgraded from my two year old Samsung A3 to the same model 2017 version. I waited a couple of weeks for a Guru person to be available at my local O2 shop, to transfer over all my data and music from the old phone to a new one.

When I did go in, the member of staff said that the Guru still wasn't available, but that he could do the changeover. My new phone was put by, so he fetched it, and simply took the sd card out of my old phone and put it in my new one. He told me that I would have to reinstall any apps that were on the old phone to the new one.

It was only when I got home, and started to look for the apps I needed to replace, that I found that ALL of my music was gone ! - About 20GB of music that had been on the sd card. I only use Samsung branded 64GB micro sd cards, as I know some generic ones have problems.

I had made back ups via Samsung Kies which I always found very good, but, now, the phone could not use Kies, and instead was telling me to use Smart Switch. I did have some older smaller back ups on an ext hard drive, so I used one to put back on the sd card, by using a reader in my laptop. However, during this process, the card got ridiculously hot, so I binned it.

I purchased another brand new Samsung 64GB micro sd card, and again loaded my music on to it. Every track played on my laptop, but when I put it into my new phone, about a quarter would not play, and had lost their artist name, and showed as 'Unknown artist'. When safely removed, those tracks would not play in the laptop either.

We made several attempts using the card in or out of the phone to transfer the music. Even when some successfully transferred at first, within a few hours, or the next day, large amounts had disappeared.

I even tried two more brand new micro sd cards, and all that happenned was that the phone stated to say that the sd card had been removed when I hadn't, and was not detecting it.

Using my laptop's Disk manager, 3  x Samsung micro sd cards, were showing as RAW system, and after using all methods advised by an IT expert, 2 of them are irrepairable. One says it is formatted correctly, but I am not sure if it will last.

The IT expert suggests that it could be the phone that is causing the problem.

Does anybody know who can help me at O2, with replacing the phone, and also making good the damaged cards ? Not to mention the hours it will take me to reassemble my music library ?

I would have liked to have emailed this to Customer Service, but there doesn't appear to be that option. I hope that you will understand from the length of this post, why I didn't see a telephone call as useful !

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If the phone is faulty O2 will repair or replace it but you'd be better off speaking to Samsung directly over this matter http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/category/mobile/mobiledevice
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If the phone is faulty O2 will repair or replace it but you'd be better off speaking to Samsung directly over this matter http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/category/mobile/mobiledevice
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

I have always warned people off Samsung MicroSD cards as they seem to always have a high failure rate, and seem to corrupt very easily not just in Android phones, but in other devices as well. 

I doubt o2 will replace the phone as it is the file system on the card that is corrupt, not the handsets file system, nor will o2 pay for any data recovery.. I would contact Samsung to resolve the issues with the cards. Where all the cards Samsung? 

I would always recommend SanDisk for Micro Sd cards. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Yes, three were Samsung micro sd cards, all were changed to RAW format after being in the phone, with only one capable of reformatting.

But the same also happenned to two Sandisk micro sd cards. I was able to reformat these from RAW too, but it seems that the actual device is the common factor in this repeated problem.

Message 4 of 4