cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SETTINGS & NETWORK

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone, iv only been with o2 for about a week, and since joining i have been very frustrated at the level of service i have been given and all the things that are going wrong.

i have contacted o2 support on this but as i suspected they do not seem to have a clue what is wrong nor what my issue is. and as all customer services do, just keep copy and pasting paragraphs from there computer.

i have a Samsung Galaxy Note GT N7000, its a factory unlocked model or (sim free) as some put it. when i first got it, i was using T-Mobile pay and go. everything was good, everything worked and was easy to set up, then they out of the blue started eating all my credit so i decided to leave them after 3 years and got an o2 sim. to make it easier for my mum to stay in touch as shes ill.

after popping the sim card in, and topping up, i thought all was ok, however, the first of my problems happened soon after. ill list them in order as they happened.

1, went online - loading time was seriously low, it took 7 attempts to load one page, which was the facebook mobile page. trying to browse i noticed that the signal level kept dropping then disappeared sometimes repeatidly over and over every few minutes. so i closed the browser off. at this point i thought ok check my network settings. the next issue was about to hit me.

2, after doing the following - home, settings, more settings, mobile networks, access points, i was shocked at what i saw, i have 6 access points and one that was never there before, i have,

o2 Pay & Go

o2 Pay & Go Internet

o2 Prepay GPRS

o2 UK Mobile WEB

o2 Prepay GPRS (again)

and ((tesco mobile))???

iv had my phone from new and i have never had a tesco sim card in it so im confused as to why this has appeared. i went through every access point apart from the tesco one, and none of them had completed settings. for example MMSC was blank...despite having settings sent to me by o2 the second i turned the phone on, and i saved them.

now i have gone into network mode menu, and 3G does not appear, i live in a 3G area and my last T-Mobile Sim worked great on 3G, never lost signal. the only options i do get are

GSM/WCDMA (auto mode)

GSM only

WCDMA only

on the T-Mobile sim 3G was listed below aswel, and when online a "3+" or "H+" sign would appear, now when i go online using the o2 sim a simple "H" appears and i have no signal, if i go into town, to work, i still get no internet signal at all. the only place i get signal is at home and its not 100% here either. i had a chat with an online o2 rep and they sent me settings through email, after creating a new VPN, and with the missing settings completed, its still no better. people are sending me text messages and there not even reaching me.

3, finally, i have the Outlook app, for my email, it too worked perfectly on T-Mobile, after popping this sim card in my phone, the app refuses to work. it will not sync at all. i have uninstalled it, and reinstalled it, no change, and the worst thing is, theres no menu on the app to enter server settings.....iv gone through my phone and every menu relating to sync and outlook, nothing works. when i go into the settings menu for the app (which only gives options to add accounts and choose small email options) it just says sync is disabled and it will not let me turn it on.

o2 said if it was the sim they would send a new one with no charge - id like to see them charge me the sim was free in the first place! and i got the impression they were trying to blame my device, which is rubbish, all these issues happening since inserting an o2 sim, highly unlikely.

i know being mass produced there will be faulty batches etc, and as for the 3G, o2 is a 3G network as far as im aware so my phone should use the 3G network - i stay literally 5 minutes drive from the antenna you can see it from the garden!

is there anyone else who thinks this is sim related or has anything i can try - preferrably someone that doesnt work for o2. the customers seem to know more about the network than the staff do. no offence to anyone just what iv been reading up on and experienced so far.

thanks to all for your time.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi and Welcome to the forum,

I'm assuming you have used Live Chat to get the information you state.

They are generally ok for low level general enquiries.

I would suggest you ring 02 on 4445 for PAYG Customers / 202 for Contract Customers to ensure your account is set up Ok and any data package you have chosen has been provisioned correctly. 

When you first fitted the 02 sim to the phone 02 would have sent you their settings automatically.

Did you do any prior checks to ensure the 02 Network gave you reasonable signal and data coverage where you reside, commute and work ?

Check your Service Status to ensure the 02 masts are working Ok.

http://status.o2.co.uk/

Regarding the option to choose from please choose GSM/WCDMA (auto mode)

Go into your APN settings to ensure you have the correct ones inputted.

Here are 02's settings.

http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/chapter/595-04-how-to-set-apn-settings-for-the-02-mobile-network

Or text "ACTIVE to 2020."

Sometimes the sim card can be at fault.

Try removing your Sim Card and wiping it down to remove static build up.

Another option is to replace your current Sim Card by picking up a blank Sim Card from your local 02 shop, or ask for one to be posted to you.

Then carry out the SwapMySim procedure either in the 02 store or at home.

I have included the link to do this.

http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

Take into account it takes from approx 2 hours to 24 hours to fully activate, and by turning your phone off and on throughout this period helps to reset your services.

Ensure the 3G toggle is on in your phones settings.

This is a link from the 02 community to a similar thread which may help.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Galaxy-note-jelly-bean-problem-mobile-...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi and Welcome to the forum,

I'm assuming you have used Live Chat to get the information you state.

They are generally ok for low level general enquiries.

I would suggest you ring 02 on 4445 for PAYG Customers / 202 for Contract Customers to ensure your account is set up Ok and any data package you have chosen has been provisioned correctly. 

When you first fitted the 02 sim to the phone 02 would have sent you their settings automatically.

Did you do any prior checks to ensure the 02 Network gave you reasonable signal and data coverage where you reside, commute and work ?

Check your Service Status to ensure the 02 masts are working Ok.

http://status.o2.co.uk/

Regarding the option to choose from please choose GSM/WCDMA (auto mode)

Go into your APN settings to ensure you have the correct ones inputted.

Here are 02's settings.

http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/chapter/595-04-how-to-set-apn-settings-for-the-02-mobile-network

Or text "ACTIVE to 2020."

Sometimes the sim card can be at fault.

Try removing your Sim Card and wiping it down to remove static build up.

Another option is to replace your current Sim Card by picking up a blank Sim Card from your local 02 shop, or ask for one to be posted to you.

Then carry out the SwapMySim procedure either in the 02 store or at home.

I have included the link to do this.

http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

Take into account it takes from approx 2 hours to 24 hours to fully activate, and by turning your phone off and on throughout this period helps to reset your services.

Ensure the 3G toggle is on in your phones settings.

This is a link from the 02 community to a similar thread which may help.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Galaxy-note-jelly-bean-problem-mobile-...

Message 2 of 6

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

BTW I wouldn't worry about the Tesco APN appearing in the List. The list is usually in the phones firmware.

Tesco SIM's run on the O2 network and the SIM has the same GSM Network code embedded in it (234 10) so it is normal when inserting the SIM for the first time to presented with a menu to choose which Network the SIM belongs to.

In my Note II for instance I also have giffgaff GPRS in addition to Tesco and O2 settings as they are also using O2 network.

Bob has covered the rest of your queries I believe, but don't forget to set the APN active.

Edit: there is also an Android app Tweakker that can help set APN's

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tweakker&hl=en

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys and thanks for your comments, the tesco access point thing i didnt know used the same as o2, so thanks for clearing that up.

sadly though i have done all the checks above and done the network test, according to the test it said the 3G coverage was very good in doors and out. so based on that i can only assume its the sim card that is faulty. my device is certainly in full working order. i had to replace its battery just 3 weeks ago as the screen kept flickering then the phone would shutdown. but i dont see that affecting it - I COULD BE WRONG, im not an expert on phones.

anyway i think ill contact o2 again and get them to send a replacement sim card. thank you both again for your help, very much appreciated. and an asset to the forum if i do say so myself.

cheers guys.

Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

You are very welcome.

Lets hope when you pick up / have delivered the blank sim card and perform the Sim swap this clears your issues up.

If not and the 02 mast still shows all is ok you can still challenge that mast status by ringing 02.

Also try turning off 3G to use 2G instead as this may help but you would be then faced with slower internet speeds than 3G.

Take care.

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let us know if the sim swap works. I went into an O2 store to do it a few months ago and the sim was working before I even left the store. It improved my 3G connection a lot.

Message 6 of 6