cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD card now "not supported" but was fine up until a few days ago. Phone not too useful without it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The SD card been in there and functioning well for months. 

At first, and on a few occasions when the phone got overheated (it seems to freak out when used for navigation!), the card would be undetectable for a few minutes, but the problem somehow seemed to resolve itself. 

Then the other morning the phone was just misbehaving badly, freezing, etc.  I restarted it and from that point on the phone is unable to access the card. 

It says that the device does not support the card.  It offers the option to erase and format the card.  It tries to do so, then I get an error message very briefly on the screen (I have a screenshot but seem unable to upload it here), then it goes back to saying the card is not supported by the device. 

I don't have other phones to test the card with, I don't live near any o2 shops.  I am in the middle of nowhere really!  Buying a new card via the internet is an option, but an expensive one if the card is not the problem. 

Would really like to sort this out, but the o2 guru wasn't really able to help me (we did a factory reset, etc, and finally he just suggests that I bring it into the shop, which is not a very doable option for me).  Now there are none available to chat to. 

The phone works fine as a phone and I can have, like 2 apps on it - but in order to function in the way it was intended (photos, music, etc) I really need more space which is why I thought it a good idea to choose a phone into which I could insert a card of any capacity!

Here are the details: 

phone:Moto G 3rd generation

Android 6

SanDisk Ultra 64GB Micro SDXC1 card

error message: "attempt to invoke virtual method 'java.lang.String android.os.storage.VolumeInfo.getId()' on a null object reference"

I've never had a smart phone before this, I am very untechnical, and I am frustrated (have spent all day trying to sort this out).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It does sound like the sd card is faulty.
Can you check it in your laptop or pc?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sadly, no... there's not the right reader on my computer.  Do SD cards just die for no reason?

Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Unfortunately yes, they can.
From your description the phone sounds fine so the sd card has to be suspect.
No way to be sure without substitution in phone or checking card elsewhere though.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 11

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You can get a cheap card reader from Amazon or even from a local phone store. I wouldn't be without one and if indeed it's a card problem it is easy to drag and drop to a new card if needed.

Message 5 of 11

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous did it turn out to be an issue with your SD card? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still not sure!  I now have a new card inserted and there are some things successfully stored there - no backfiring yet.  But there are apps that I am sure should be storable on the SD card that just don't offer the option.  Google Play Music is one of them.  I follow all the correct steps (for downloading music to the SD card rather than to the very limited internal sotrage) and where the option should be - and apparently is for everyone else who has a phone like mine - there's just no option... rendering it not very useful!  Anyway, will soon see whether the card functions well (for the things I can do with it) or whether it starts to behave strangely...

Message 7 of 11

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

OK @Anonymous it sounds like your making some progress! Please do keep us updated. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

New SD card is recognized but very few of my apps will alllow me to store their data on it; "internal" is the only optin available for most of them (including ones that had previously let me store on the SD card).  This means that it's still not too useful... internal memory is almost full and I can't do things on the phone that it's supposed to be able to do!  

Message 9 of 11

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
App data is usually quite small.
Just move photos, music, videos etc.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 11