cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S9 texts won't pop up on screen and numbers on Google not coming up in phone app

Ladylu505
Level 1: Joiner
  • 14 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
So when I receive a text message and I'm on another app, i don't get a pop up to say I have a text. The icon appears at the top of the screen but no pop up. Why? I've already tried going onto apps>messages> notification setting and clicking on 'urgent' to make sure they pop up but it hasn't worked! It's driving me mad cos I never know when I get a message.

Also when in on Google and I Google a business and I click on the phone symbol to call it, my phone doesn't open the number in the phone up. I've had this phone less than 2 weeks
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You need to allow your text app permission to "draw over other apps" and for the phone number, just long press on it..
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

Ladylu505
  • 14 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
How do I give text app the permission? How to access it on s9? Long pressing on phone symbol on Google doesn't work...
Message 3 of 16

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I meant long press on the number, not the phone symbol.
Not sure where the setting is on S9 but I'll have a look for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 16

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Found this on Google:
Go to the Device Settings
Tap "Apps"
On the top right, tap the gear icon
Under Advanced, chose "Draw over other apps"
Find the app in the list and tap it
Toggle "Permit drawing over other apps" to ON.
*Note: For Samsung devices running Android 6, this setting has been moved to Settings > Applications > Application Manager > More > Draw over other apps

**On newer Samsung devices, such as the Galaxy S7, the "Draw over other apps" has been renamed to "Apps that can appear on top".

Currently using:
Message 5 of 16

Ladylu505
  • 14 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The number isn't visible, normally by pressing the phone symbol it brings the number up in phone app
Message 6 of 16

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I've never seen that before.....

Currently using:
Message 7 of 16

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Sorry, I'm with you now having just tried it myself. It sounds like you may have something blocking pop ups or default actions as pressing the call symbol should, as you say, open the phone app.
Do you have any antivirus or malware apps installed?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 16

Ladylu505
  • 14 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
So I've tried what you said about "apps on top" and messages is already ticked - so if it's ticked yet it's still not popping up, there must be another problem?

As for the phone thing, I've no idea about anti virus as I just use what my phone came with. How do I check if pop ups are blocked?
Message 9 of 16

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'm only guessing but it's likely an app you've added that's not part of the stock system. Has it always been like this or did it just start doing it?
Have you had any updates to the firmware and did you factory reset after the update?

Currently using:
Message 10 of 16