cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OnePlus Two Mobile Data/Tariff change query

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi folks,

I hope you forgive my ignorance, but the bit of reading I did into the topic hasn't particularly helped. I bought a new OnePlus Two recently, and decided that I wanted to upgrade my mobile data allowance alongside my new purchase. Yesterday (pre tariff upgrade) my phone was reading "LTE" above the mobile signal, and today (post tariff upgrade) it is reading "4G". My main query is, which service is better? My reading indicates that the mobile industry claims to have 4G data when in fact it isn't "True 4G", so I am slightly concerned that I may be receiving a lesser service AFTER I have upgraded my tariff. I am unfamiliar with LTE, as none of my previous phones every indicated that I was using LTE.

I had been almost out of my mobile data so have not had much of a chance to use it on the new phone, so couldn't comment on if the speeds/coverage seemed better pre or post upgrade. I should also say that I have had no issues with O2's 4G service, I'm just looking some community feedback on what is considered the better service, and (if is the case) why my service may have been downgraded.

Thanks for any replies.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
As far as the UK is concerned, LTE and 4G are exactly the same and it's only the received frequency that will vary the display.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
As far as the UK is concerned, LTE and 4G are exactly the same and it's only the received frequency that will vary the display.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Nope, exactly the same....

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

I was certainly under the impression they're identical just two different ways of saying 4g?

If you're still unsure after all our replies a OPT dedicated website forum will also be able to answer your questions.

Edit to add link: 

https://forums.oneplus.net/

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Make sure you specifically tell them you are in the UK though or else you will get a different answer.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Lte is the UK'S generation 4 network tech.
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate all the replies. While using my phone yesterday, I have noticed that my signal alternatives between LTE and 4G. While this may not be anything to be concerned about, do you know why this is the case? Am I receiving different signals from O2, or is it more likely that it is something my phone is doing?

Message 8 of 10

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
800Mhz and 1800Mhz signals.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the clarification guys slight_smile
Message 10 of 10