Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTA updates for Pixel 2 XL

hayw77
Level 3: Thinker
  • 33 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

On the Google Pixel Community Boards, it seems that UK owners of the Pixel 2 XL who use O2 are not able to receive security patch updates OTA, without removing the sim and doing a factory reset each time. Apparently no such problems with EE. Anyone here experiencing the same issue?

Message 1 of 23
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

hayw77
  • 33 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Hi Chris

Thanks for all your help with this issue which has now been resolved satisfactorily from my perspective.

Many thanks

Colin

@Chris_K wrote:

More info
More info

@ianh wrote:

Hi @Chris_K, still no update for me but a few O2 customers are reporting that they've got the update on the Google forum here that they've now received the update.

Thanks for the info/update Ian. Great to see some O2 customers see this update - it's common for vendors (Google/Samsung/HTC etc) to 'roll out' updates, sometimes maybe aiming for a 25% saturation rate the first day and then ramping up. I don't have access to this saturation/roll-out plan (that's typically decided entirely by the vendor) but generally speaking, most software roll-outs reach 100% saturation within a few days to a week.

If any O2 customer doesn't have the update yet, I suspect you should see it become available within the next few days.

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Maybe @Chris_K can comment?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 23

hayw77
  • 33 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Message 3 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@hayw77when you scroll down on that link, it does say this from one member..

"Being on O2 may be the issue. I know someone on O2 that has the same issue. She has not be able to get it to update. The current assumption is that O2 has not allowed it to officially roll out. I'm told that this is abnormal for O2. Past updates over O2 came very quickly. I can suggest a few things. 

First, submit this feedback from your phone. Got to settings > support & tips > at the bottom is "send feedback".
Second, try calling O2 and get an explanation from them or at the very least voice your concern/disappointment."

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 23

hayw77
  • 33 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Cleoriff

yes I saw that. I don't think O2 are aware that there is a problem so I wanted to highlight it on this forum to see if we can get it rsolved.

I don't believe O2 are holding up the OTA updates intentionally, I just think there is a technical issue between Google update servers and O2

Message 5 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@hayw77 wrote:

Cleoriff

yes I saw that. I don't think O2 are aware that there is a problem so I wanted to highlight it on this forum to see if we can get it rsolved.

I don't believe O2 are holding up the OTA updates intentionally, I just think there is a technical issue between Google update servers and O2

Hopefully an answer soon from Chris K then (as mentioned above by @MI5?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 23

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey guys,

Got some good news from our device team. The latest OTA update is now available for Pixel devices. See below for software info. Both include Googles November security update.

• Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL devices. Build number OPD1.170816.025
  • Pixel and Pixel XL devices. Build number OPR3.170623.013

For those having issues installing updates from us on their Pixel, or if you have issues installing this new one, please PM me the following details so I can send it to our device team to explore further with Google:

• Your O2 number
  • IMEI of your Pixel
  • Current software build on your device, and confirmation that in order to install this update, you had to perform a factory reset as previously discussed by some members on this thread.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 7 of 23

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I hope @hayw77 comes back to read this. Thanks for the update @Chris_K

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 23

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Thanks Chris.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 23