cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 4 - MASSIVE email usage for no reason

Anonymous
Not applicable

Had Iphones, Note 3 for many years, 1gm now 2gb data and NEVER gone over my limit, since i have had the Note 4 it appears to be using stupid amount of data for email and despite my data resetting on 15th i am now back to having used 2gb and most days its on WIFI anyway.

Last 2 days it shows 650+mb for email and i have recieved about 50-100 emails and sent none.

I have it set to only download the first 2k of the email as i get a lot of junk and lots i dont actually bother reading, i have always had my emails set to download every 15 mins but now changed that to 2 hours so no idea why its using so much data.

I am using IMAP on our own server and the Note 3 is fine and uses minimal data for the same account and the Iphone using the same but my partners email address on the same domain and server is also fine on 2gb.

I have Googled it and lots of people seem to have seen a similar issue.

Spoke to O2 and firstly got told that 4gb uses more data than 3g and offered to remove the 4g, well i have 4g on both the Iphone and Note 3 so as well as being rubbish (it should use no more data to connect to a server in 3g than 4g unless 4g has some kind of bad packet problem or packet loss) i tried to query the 2 people at O2 who told me this as i have been in the comms/IT business for 30 years and this is news to me, yep it uses it quicker i,e if your watchig a film it will be streaming ahead much quicker so you might download a lot more of the film you maybe never watch than you would on 3g but a 100k webpage should be 100k (give or take) on either system unless i am missing something.

Booked an O2 Guru visit for this morning got a text reminding me of my appointment, turned up only to be told the guy had called in sick first thing but nobody bothered to let the people with appointments or indeed head office know as when i called head office they tell me the only appointment they can sort out for today is at the exact same store !.

Manager of the store was LESS than helpful and tell me that i have used the data, so basically tuff its my fault, well if this is happenign to me and i have been in the IT business for some 30 years and had just baout every smart phone from the Nokia Communicator (bet half of you dont even knwo what that is lol) to the Note 4 and it can happen to me then they have a problem, he offers me an appointment in a stoe over an hour away each way which is too far or 100mb of data which i try to explain will last about 3 hours at the current rate. VERY unhelpful O2.

Call customer services who tell me i can book online and add 1gb of data, try to book online, only one availble is same store tommorow but it wont let me book as it says i already have a booking with my email address.

Try the online chat, that answers then i type my problem and it just dies with 'System Not Initalised' and wont re-connect at all.

Now on hold yet AGAIN for customer service 17 mins so far.

Firstly O2 SORT YOUR BLEEDING SYSTEMS OUT, YOUR SYSTEM IS NOT UNUSUALLY BUSY, ITS USUALLY BUSY, LOOK UP THE DEFINITION IN THE DICTIONARY. YOU NEED MORE STAFF, THE CUSTOMERS CAN SEE IT BUT OBVIOUSLY THE MANAGEMENT ARE EITHER BLIND TO IT OR STUPID.

Secondly has anyone else had the same problem

Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Well the usual story is its an iPhone that's using too much data !

I use IMAP on my iPhone 6+ and don't use lots of data and I receive lots of e mails with attachments.

You mentioned you've used iPhones so it may be worth checking your account is not still on iData settings. Probably not the problem but worth checking as a process of elimination.

I agree you should have been advised and treated well in the store.

Keep pushing with O2 on 202 as they have been known to replace data if the fault is at their end.
Message 2 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

when you go on settings>data usage does it confirm that the emails are using all the data?

Message 3 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well finally got to speak to someone in customer services as so called techincal were useless, as i was talking to him he asked me to confirm the phone i was using and when i said Note 4 he said funny as my number was setup to be an Iphone ?.

He had changed it over and says that will almost certainly be the problem (still no idea why it would cause this but i know the Iphone has different setup).

Got to reboot the phone over next few hours until it updates then see how it goes.

Re where the data is being used, yes Android says its email and i installed a data monitor and it shows i have used over 1.1gb since yesterday of whic nearly 800mb is Email, in that time i reckon i have got about 100 emails at most and read nearly none of them so they did not download more than 2k of each one (set in the settings), the rest i expected as i downloaded some apps from Amazon that were free over Xmas (about 200mb) and used Facebook etc., Luckily i was at home so most of it was on WIFI this time but still amazingly high for Email.

See how it goes now.

Message 4 of 52

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

I think if your setting were iPhone, you have answered the question. Obviously wrong settings.

Once it has been updated then the problem should be solved...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well @Anonymous im glad I mentioned it earlier now about iData settings. 😄
Message 6 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

Band of Brothers, thanks, you typed it as i was speakig to them so would have found it if they had not so thanks.

Message 7 of 52

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Band of Brothers, thanks, you typed it as i was speakig to them so would have found it if they had not so thanks.

Well done...all sorted regardless of who you spoke to. We are all here to help wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 52

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
I hope it fixes the issue but there is no logic to you having iPhone settings as to being the cause of your problem at all.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
No worries mate.

Just glad your hopefully sorted now.

Just a shame about your appointment.
Message 10 of 52