cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 9 bricked by security update

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

I have a Nexus 9. Like a fool I was seduced by the pure Android experience and ordered this laggy crasshy monster.

I downloaded and attempted to install the latest security update over the weekend. The wallpaper had gone, and would not allow me to select a new or reinstate my wallpaper. I was not allowed to access any of my downloaded files and Bluetooth was unavailable.

I bit the bullet and instgated my first factory reset. The device went into bootloop. I tried to empty the cache, even wipe the cache partition, but was unable to do so as the device is locked.

No amount of pressing volume and power key combinations is going to change it's sorry state.

The Android boot wheels are dancing happily, taunting me.

The device itself is just over a year old. However, I feel that as Goog;e and carriers are meant to work together over security updates - they did in the old days at least - that O2 should take some responsibility for this.

Ideas, anyone?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Get it to the manufacturer, I don't know why you'd prefer o2 to take responsibility, all they would do is repair it anyway.
Trust me, the lesser of two evils is to go to manufacturer.
Message 2 of 24

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous Who did you buy it from? As @viridis has suggested, contact HTC tech support. You will have a much better chance of getting it repaired by them.

http://www.htc.com/uk/support/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 24

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Contact details in this link...

https://support.google.com/nexus/?hl=en-GB#topic=3424348

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys.

I got it direct from Carphone Warehouse on an O2 contract. I'll try these before I march into an O2 sore with my angry head on this afternoon. Meanwhile the dogs have their paws crossed, so must taken them out!

Message 5 of 24

Bambino
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I don't believe that taking it to an O2 store will help much. You bought it at CPW. If you don't get any satisfaction out of the links already provided, CPW is where you'll need to take it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I would support @viridis's advice here. Contact Nexus support before you take it into an O2 store....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 24

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
If purchased from CPW, O2 won't be able to help, your contract of sale and warranty service is through cpw or Google/HTC
Message 8 of 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I assume you have tried a factory reset, as you should do after every update?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 24

Bambino
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

OP said in their post that they had tried a factory reset. Hopefully they'll come back and let us know if they had any success with either Nexus or HTC support.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 24