cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto G 3rd generation - overheats, can't rely on it for navigation... is this common?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!

I have a moto G 3rd generation and I have not ever had a smart phone before.

One of the reasons I wanted to have a phone like this was so that I can use it to navigate - using Google Maps/ Drive or whatever. 

However, if I do use it for anything more than just a short journey, it starts to malfunction.  It gets pretty hot, am assuming it's overheating.  So, just when I need ot most, it's not functional.

It's impossible to use it to play music and naviagate at the same time. 

Is this a faulty phone, or a common thing with smartphones, or this particular phone? Are there any solutions to this problem?

Thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145010 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions
They do get quite warm when used heavily but it shouldn't get to the point where it overheats so much it plays up.
I'm actually wondering if this overheating has damaged your sd card too. I didn't realise it was so bad from your other post.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Overheating so much points to a rogue app or a battery issue. Have you downloaded anything recently that coincides with the problem you are having?

Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahhhh... I sort of saw them as separate issues (only because the overheating makes everything go bonkers, not just the SD card thing - and doesn't always do the SD card thing either).  Maybe you are right!  Having said that, I've just stopped trying to use the phone the way it was described above and so it hasn't happened for a while - certainly did not happen just prior to the SD card issue I described elsewhere.  Thanks so much for your help!

Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, as I wrote just now in response to the other suggestion above, it hasn't happened for a while - and the SD card issue just happened a few days back.  But since I discovered I could use this forum I thought I'd ask this too, since it would be nice to have a fully-functional phone! slight_smile   Thank you for your help!

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 145010 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions
Although inconvenient it would be worth doing a factory reset and if it still persists contact Motorola for them to look at it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have done the factory reset, to no avail.  Sadly will have to send it to them I guess... and can't really do very easily wihout phone in the meantime... urrrgh!

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 145010 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions
Unfortunately it seems that's the only choice right now.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8