cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumia 520 Malfunctioning

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

My 520 Lumia keeps freezing and typing on its own. It's been getting steadily worse of late. Is this a common fault, and is it a fault in the software or hardware.

Any help would be appreciated, as I can't even type a message without it freezing and glitching.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Try turning it off and back on.

Is your firmware up to date

If you've recently performed a software update then it's suggested a hard reset is sometimes requird to stop glitches.

Make a back up first to save your data in the phones memory and move what you can to any sd memory card.

https://www.hard-reset.in/nokia-lumia-520-hard-reset.html
Message 2 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If you can't fix it by the usual methods either O2 or Microsoft can take it in for repairs.
We usually recommend the manufacturer over O2 but it's your choice.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Typing on it's own sounds odd. May be a stupid question, but the screen is clean and dry isn't it? Trying to unlock my phone whilst doing the washing up is nearly impossible as the slightest amount of liquid on the screen sends it haywire!

Message 4 of 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Sounds like a digitizer fault to me.
Would explain all of those fault symptoms.
If a reset doesn't work, it needs repairing.
The freezing is the digitizer cutting out
The glitching is the digitizer going haywire on reconnect
The typing on its own is the same as above.
Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
My Z1 is waterproof but trying to use it with rain hitting the screen is impossible wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Rain makes a connection on the digitizer grid, each drop registers as a active switch.
If the rain drop connects more than 2 individual localised digitizer gridpoints, it will register as a solid press.
You can see this by holding your z1 at an angle under a slow running tap, as the water runs over the screen, it will connect all the grids in its path and register as a swipe.
If a dry screen acts like that, I would put money on either digitizer software corruption (reset will fix) or faulty digitizer (hardware fix)
Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yep, spot on slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Yep, spot on slight_smile

Chimpanzees.jpg

Message 9 of 9