cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with YouTube and Google

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is anyone getting issues with the YouTube and Google app already installed on Android phones?

Almost a week ago, I came to go to the Youtube app and what I see is:

Connection Problem.
com.google.android.youtube.googlemobile.masf.
ConnectionException: 404

About the same time I went to use the default browser (Google)
where the address bar shows this: (I have added (blank) to break the address)

http://(blank)search-results.mobi/?sourceid=6&app=4jTAZJphSwrZvov%2FWPuyBwjaVvS176pQHxxuJnCXYQgdjCTwfN81xZxv16ilW3%2FTp2qbFGZzhWl%2Bh%2BW2MMCwiG9%2FZX5dmziQleVZhpjJLgngFA8UpdiEeGHWRF1TA02kY9tP%2FLQixCfqvTwbKNI%2Fx9MgtaImDihW~

It attempts to look like Google too but with a giant 'Protect your Android from virus!' with a button to turn on virus scanner (needness to say my fingers have not touched!).

and at the bottom of the screen there's © StartApp 2014

If I use the Google widget and enter a search word, the Google address bar momentarily shows http://search-results

I've sort of got around the Google problem by downloading Maxthon browser and chosing Google as my search engine. No trace of this apparently rogue address.

I know this is two questions, but both happened around the same time and are google apps.

Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This might have been overlooked, but I know the stock youtube app on Android 2.x was garbage. Have you tried installing the latest Youtube App from the Play store?

The Youtube app from Play store is not compatible with my device, unfortunately.

Have just seen this on the Google Product forums:

Hey everyone,

We're aware of playback errors when attempting to play YouTube videos via the app or m.youtube.com on Android devices running Eclair (version 2.1). We'll keep you posted with any new updates in this thread.

Thanks,
-ytDangler

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not sure what's going on there, sounds dodgy tho, I'm sure one of the more experienced members will have an idea what's going on. Do you have a anti virus app?
Message 2 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I'd back up my photos and videos and do a hard reset immediately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is that Factory Reset? If so will I lose all, addresses etc. data from apps?

@MI5 wrote:
I'd back up my photos and videos and do a hard reset immediately.

Message 4 of 19

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, factory/hard reset same thing.
You'll loose anything you don't back up - Just don't back up any system settings (in case you have an annoying airpush virus).
In fact, it's most likely an app that is pushing those redirects - My kids get them from some games they download.
An app called "Airpush Detector" usually identifies them.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Yes, factory/hard reset same thing.
You'll loose anything you don't back up - Just don't back up any system settings (in case you have an annoying airpush virus).
In fact, it's most likely an app that is pushing those redirects - My kids get them from some games they download.
An app called "Airpush Detector" usually identifies them.

OK thanks.

Tried "Airpush Detector" - didn't help.

Now done factory reset. Google problem (the one I was worried about too) is now OK, but Youtube problem remains. Just the apps to put back (in some cases re-buy). Think I'll be careful about them too - not that there's any dodgy ones! I have a feeling I may have touched an ad on one - dunno if that was the cause of one prob??

Message 6 of 19

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You don't need to re-buy anything that you've already paid for will download for free again.
You tube problem in app or browser ?

Currently using:
Message 7 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
RE your YouTube problem, may I ask what phone your using.

I've seen that certain people are having problems with Google apps and I'm wondering if you fall into that category.

Obviously I'll let you know whether you are or not after but I don't want to skew the results.

I'm in deep conversation with Google over this and they are aware.
Message 8 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
You don't need to re-buy anything that you've already paid for will download for free again.
You tube problem in app or browser ?

Yes so I found - nice surprise!

Youtube prob in app that came with phone. It has never worked in browser. In fact nothing that requires Flash player does.

Message 9 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
RE your YouTube problem, may I ask what phone your using.

I've seen that certain people are having problems with Google apps and I'm wondering if you fall into that category.

Obviously I'll let you know whether you are or not after but I don't want to skew the results.

I'm in deep conversation with Google over this and they are aware.

In my signature - but its Samsung Galaxy Apollo GT I5800, so old one with version 2.1 update 1 of Android.

Yes I have read this a problem with Youtube too on Google forums. Seems widespread.

Message 10 of 19