cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S6 - First impressions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I upgraded my Sim only deal to refresh deal and got myself a non edge version of the Galaxy S6 in the process - I am still playing with it but here are my first impressions.

Build quality is excellent (even the packaging is very well made!), the phone feels very solid and very well made - I was worried that the glass back would make the phone 'slippery' in the hand, but the opposite seems to be the case - the phone fits very well in the hand and feels safe. The buttons are very well placed and the seperate volume buttons seem better than the rocker type.

The phone did get quite warm during the initial setup and update phase, I put this down to a lot of updates and wifi activity - no sign of this since.

The phone responds very quickly and is very smooth - I don't notice any lag at all. One thing I do find myself doing on this phone is catching the capactive buttons by accident, I am putting this down to me just getting used to a larger phone.

Camera - I am no photographer but the camera is excellent, taking very good pictures. I took the dog out last night and took some photos see how it worked in low light and I was very impressed. Video is equally impressive and the Ultra HD video is simply excellent quality - one issue here is while the UHD video plays ok on the phone, my laptop is having issues playing the video without it breaking up - I am assuming this is a media player issue. I will try the UHD playback on the TV later to see how this works.

Call quality seems much better than my A3 - and texts seem to send a lot quicker, I am assuming this is just because of the extra grunt of the S6. It came with Lollipop 5.0.2 and asked to do an update, which I did and it updated to 5.0.2! It appears O2 have rolled back the 5.1.1 update I was expecting it to update to, no doubt this will be addressed in time.

Lollipop - this is the first time I have used this on a phone, and it seems pretty good - I especially the quick camera or dialer launch from the lock screen - from the lock screen simply drap the camera icon and the camera launches pretty much instantly, same for the dialer. I also like the improved notifications and the ability to do a quick reply to a text directly from the notification.

It comes with a adaptive fast charger, and indeed does charge fast - while charging there is a notification of how long left - as a bit of a test today I was on about 50% and plugged it into a normal charger, it told me three and half hours to charge, when plugged into the fast charger it the notification said 48 mins! It appears you can get a full charge in about an hour and ten mins - impressive.

Screen - it has to been seen to believed - I would say this is the best screen I have ever seen on a smartphone, it will be interesting to put it side by side with my friends Note 3 for comparison.

One last thing that impressed me was the bundled earphones - they sound quite impressive!

I will do a fuller review once I've used it for a few days but my initial opinion - everything I expected it would be, and then some!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I really like your first impressions @Anonymous! Not too technical, everybody can understand it (even me!) and addressing details that are decisive for a lot of people when choosing a new mobile.

I can tell that you have put "heart" in this review/first impressions....I can imagine you having like a "little" list, in your head,of things you are curious to know about the phone and trying them one by one... well done! I find it truly useful! slight_smile

Message 2 of 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

First impressions are the most important,  sounds like you will be happy with the phone from your initial thoughts.

Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Love my s6, went all out and bought the 128gb version, only thing I'm gutted about is that i have a tiny blue stuck pixel on my screen in the middle, i have downloaded a dark theme so it's not as noticeable on theain screen of my s6 but I'm hoping it will unstuck itself eventually 😟
Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Noticeable on the home screen** sorry guys!
Message 5 of 15

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Take it back and change it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 15

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Could i get it change for only 1 dodgy pixel?
Message 8 of 15

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I always thought there was a certain point with poxels before they would replace them but I'll see how i feel about it then decibe i have 13 days left before the cooling off period has finished, my main concern was that the s6, my main worry jas been if I'm receiving updates on my s6 or not for the android os
Message 10 of 15