Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email notification "Can't sign in"

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

My wife has been plagued by getting a notification from the Email app on her phone for a few years now.  It basically says "Can't sign in", when clearly it can because she is receiving emails absolutely fine and is also able to send them fine.  A bit of investigation tells me this is a known android problem where the email apps lose the permissions to access the functions on your phone it needs to to perform temporarily.

It is weird because as I say, the email is all working fine.  If you go through the notification it allows you to allow the permissions it needs again and the notification goes away.  But it soon comes back.  This is the third phone in a row my wife has had with this problem now, making me think there may be some residual issue with her Google account data from an older phone that keeps coming back.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks

Steve
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Settings >General Settings >Manage Notifications then set tone for each account listed.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Sounds more like a problem with her email account or provider in the way it saves the settings. As it's happening on a number of phones, the usual fix of deleting and reinstalling probably won't work so possibly look at a different email client or interrogate the settings closely.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Her email is just her gmail account, so the provider is google

The issue I think is with the stock email apps rather than Gmail itself.

We both have Huawei phones, and with Google removing the ability to set the notification sound for gmail notifictions now, she is using the stock email app as you can control the sounds in the app, and therefore know if it's an email or a text message alert when it comes through.

Thanks

Steve
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Probably best to use Gmail app for Gmail so expect the stock app is the issue.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

You can set the notification sound in the GMail app so it makes sense to use that. I've used it for years with no issues, having two accounts I can set a different sound for each.

Message 5 of 10

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

You can set the notification sound in the GMail app so it makes sense to use that. I've used it for years with no issues, having two accounts I can set a different sound for each.

Hi @jonsie

Where is the setting for this in Gmail?  It's not where it used to be and I can no longer find the setting.

Thanks

Steve
Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Settings >General Settings >Manage Notifications then set tone for each account listed.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Thanks @MI5 That's in a different place than before and I'm sure I checked there already and I didn't have the options now showing.  Having said that, I did have a system update yesterday so maybe that has something to do with it

Thanks

Steve
Message 8 of 10

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I received an email from the forum asking if I have received an answer to my original question.  I actually haven't as nothing I have tried has stopped this message occurring. Using an alternative email program, i.e. Gmail is not really a solution to the original question so I can't really mark that as a solution.

Searching online this appears to be a widespread issue that has been around for years, and one that no satisfactory solution has been provided.

Guess it's just one of those "features" we have to put up with from google.

Thanks

Steve
Message 9 of 10

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

I've marked this as the answer as it means my wife can use Gmail instead for now.  I doubt we'll ever find an answer to the actual issue as google themselves seem incapable of fixing it or providing a satisfactory solution.

Thanks

Steve
Message 10 of 10