cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debrand Galaxy s3...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is their any (easy) way to debrand the s3, ie remove the splash screen and start to receive OTA updates in the unbranded batch rather than the o2 batch?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions
Hi LogicCS.

You can de-brand the device but in doing so will void your warranty - make a backup of your current ROM and / or read up on how to reset your ROM counter and reflash the stock O2 ROM.

There are lots of great sites out there on how to achieve this, start at xda developers.

OTA updates are set by your phones serial number if I recall correctly, meaning no matter how good
you are at making your phone a similar to the standard S3 it is still logged as an O2 branded one, therefore you may find yourself not getting updates at all.

Hope this helps.
Message 2 of 10

MI5
  • 144984 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
That's the Official O2 response slight_smile

O2 won't touch you if you attempt a warranty claim but Samsung won't bother as long as you flash the generic BTU firmware from www.sammobile.com Flash counter will not increase either as only custom ROMS effect this. You need to download the firmware from Sammobile and Odin and read the guides. Its easy once you've done it once. Sammobile will always list the firmware updates first so you'll never have to wait again.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 10

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
That's the Official O2 response slight_smile

O2 won't touch you if you attempt a warranty claim but Samsung won't bother as long as you flash the generic BTU firmware from www.sammobile.com Flash counter will not increase either as only custom ROMS effect this. You need to download the firmware from Sammobile and Odin and read the guides. Its easy once you've done it once. Sammobile will always list the firmware updates first so you'll never have to wait again.

Lol, yeah you caught me there.

There are some great support tools<<<<triangle.away>>>>>available on the android app market and for a small amount of cash you can reverse the process, or so ive heared.

tongue

Message 4 of 10

macblank
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 520 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 23 Solutions

hmmmmmm

it was only a few months ago, O2, unlocked my SGS3 to use on any network?

Old Phone Geek!!! A Mobile User Since 1993
Samsung Galaxy S3

Feel Free to Add Kudos, If I Have Helped slight_smile
Message 5 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144984 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
O2 will still unlock your S3 but unlocking is not the same as debranding....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

think i might just wait till this contract us up then move over to nexus... I just love dem updates wink 

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144984 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
Just flash it with Odin (but get unlock code first). It won't effect anything and no one will ever know as you will still be on stock Sammy firmware.... 4.2.1 has just been leaked for the S3 too wink

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

stop tempting me m15, I am trying so hard to resist!

If the 4.2.1 firmware has been leaked, does that mean it will eventually reach the s3 by official means anyway?

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 144984 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
It will be but not until the S4 is released.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10