cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data charges...again

Anonymous
Not applicable

So as lots of other people I am paying for data that I am not intending to use because apparently things are updating themselves at midnight on 3G even though I should be connected to my wifi. I have turned off the packet data and everything else I can find but it is still happening. I called o" about it and they gave me some ******** excuse about my wifi signal not being strong enough which is not true. any ideas?

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
This app is good if you don't already have one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.rgruet.android.g3watchdog&feature=nav_result#?t=W2...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Btw my phone is a samsung galaxy ace and although I have now bought a data bolt-on I would still ike to know what exactly i am being charged for

Message 2 of 9

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

If packet data is disabled, then you should have no data usage. If you can log into your account you may be able to see what is eating up your data.

My guess would be background apps such as the Play Store, Weather Widgets, 3rd party apps with advertisements and that sort of thing. An app like Comodo Mobile can identify Push Adverts and the firewall should identify and/or stop any data being leaked once you tell it to.

When did O2 say your data tariff would begin?

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 3 of 9

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Also there is a free App from O2 or a few other data monitors on the internet. In fact, Comodo has one as well.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

the data bundle begins today. unfortunatly the latest charge is for yesterday so it won't be covered. i will try the app you suggest as i can't find any other way of monitoring the usage.

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The phone has built in data usage in Settings >Wireless & Networks >Data Usage.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
The midnight thing is a bit of a red herring. Midnight is when your phone reports back on the amount of data used that day.
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK I understand what you are saying about midnight. I do not have a data usage option on my phone (it's ace not ace 2 if that's relevant) that I can find and I have looked in all the settings tabs! I will keep trying whatever people suggest though!

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
This app is good if you don't already have one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.rgruet.android.g3watchdog&feature=nav_result#?t=W2...

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9