Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot afford bill

Soph96
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I took out a contract last year however it is in  my Grandmothers name due to the fact that I do not have a credit score because of my age and I haven't been able to build one just yet. Anyway, I was working and it was all fine, I was living in a place where I couldn't have wifi so I made the mistake of getting one of the highest data allowances in my contract. That is where my problem now starts. I moved out of that area and am now able to get stable wifi which is considerably cheaper. However, this now means that I am paying £51.30 a month for something I essentially do not need and due to my health becoming very poor, I have had to quit my job resulting to the fact that I can no longer afford the bill. Now I dont wish to end my contract but simply reduce the data allowance that I have to save a bit of money. I would cancel the entire thing but it will affect my Grandmothers credit score and I couldn't bring myself to do it. Plus is doesn't make sense as you are going to pay the same money if not more so you might aswell use it. What can I do? Would 02 help me in anyway?

Thanks for any feedback slight_smile

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123367 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

Hi @Soph96

Sorry to hear of your change in circumstances. You need to ring customer services and explain all this to them.

They may offer you some sort of payment plan if you do https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

You are right to not cancel.....not only will it affect your grandmothers credit rating...She would be faced with debt collectors. Speak to CS. They open at 8am this morning. Best of luck...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
  • 123367 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

Hi @Soph96

Sorry to hear of your change in circumstances. You need to ring customer services and explain all this to them.

They may offer you some sort of payment plan if you do https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

You are right to not cancel.....not only will it affect your grandmothers credit rating...She would be faced with debt collectors. Speak to CS. They open at 8am this morning. Best of luck...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 144990 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
If on a refresh contract you can pay off the device plan first then reduce the airtime portion down to something with less data but that is the only way to reduce your monthly outgoings.
If not on refresh the only option is to fully pay the contract and then start a new one at a lower cost.
Some help on refresh here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-does-O2-Refresh-work/ba-p/1014093
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

A sad set of circumstances. One option is to sell the phone and put it to the cost of paying off the handset and then giving 30 days notice to end the airtime and then start again.

Good luck ☺️

Message 4 of 8

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

A sad set of circumstances. One option is to sell the phone and put it to the cost of paying off the handset and then giving 30 days notice to end the airtime and then start again.

Good luck ☺️

@Soph96 .........in your circumstances, this is probably the best option.....you can start afresh, perhaps on PAYG and have no contractual restrictions and knowing that you don't have to find that elusive £x per month

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I cannnot afford to pay off  device plan or aittime bill is it possible to cancel contract once and for all and get  final bill as getting told need to pay huge amount to cancel contract.

Due to unforseen circumstances need to cancel contract like yesterday but keep getting told  I cant cancel contract till pay  device plan which I have explained  its not possible.

Can anyone tell me if its possible to cancel contract asap as need to sort finances out and cant whilst contract is still up and running

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Message 6 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 123367 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

@Anonymousyou can't just cancel. You are liable for the contract and to pay off what you owe, If you can't pay the full amount now then you have to discuss this with customer services. They may be able to arrange a payment plan for you https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

You could also think about selling your phone and using that against what you owe...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 144990 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
A contract is a legally binding agreement that you signed for so both parties have to honour it.
You pay the bill for the services provided by o2.
The only way to break it is to pay the full amount of contract, or the device plan if on refresh.
Your phone can be sold to raise funds or you can borrow the money but whichever way you do it the contract needs to honoured.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 8