cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi , 

I smashed my S8 Samsung screen accidental. I have insurance but still have to pay for £60 for excess could someone explain what the excess is for? 

Also I'm looking to back my phone up, how do I do this? 

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous The excess is what you agreed to pay before your insurance would cover the damage, which you must have agreed to when you took out the policy. No one here would know what you agreed to but you.

As far as your backup is concerned, what is it that you're looking to back up? Your contacts and photos should, in theory, be automatically backed up on Google. Check your account to see what is and isn't there.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous The excess is what you agreed to pay before your insurance would cover the damage, which you must have agreed to when you took out the policy. No one here would know what you agreed to but you.

As far as your backup is concerned, what is it that you're looking to back up? Your contacts and photos should, in theory, be automatically backed up on Google. Check your account to see what is and isn't there.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 8

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
@Anonymous if you go into Settings on your phone and then click on Cloud, Backup and Restore, then click on Backup to back up all the data on your phone: apps, music, photos etc. It will indicate under each the amount of data requiring back up.

I have a Galaxy S8+ and I do a back up roughly once a month.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you want to keep a backup on a pc or laptop you can install and use Samsung Smartswitch.
Only any use now if your phone is still usable though.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

More about O2 insurance here. If you have an excess of £60 it looks as if you have the £12.50 a month policy

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/services/mobile-insurance

So basically your insurance will pay the cost of your repairs minus the £60 which is what you signed up for

*Notice the proviso at the bottom of the policy price list. *The policy is dependent on the value of your handset*

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

An insurance excess is the amount you agree to pay when signing up for a policy. Obviously this means that the insurance company pays less in the event of a claim but that you yourself accept some responsibility for the damage. 

Usually the higher access you agree to, the lower the cost of any insurance policy. 

Whilst I use Google to back up all my photos I also normally like to back them up to my pc. This is easily done with the USB lead and I simply open the DCIM folder on the phone icon connection and then use drag and drop into the photos folder on the pc.

Most pc's these days have inbuilt tools and will automatically recognise when a phone or camera is connected and ask you if you want to import or export photos. Use import to back them up which merely copies them and leaves them on the phone or export which copies photos from your PC to the phone. 

Message 6 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Looking at the O2 insurance I linked to, I find it slightly confusing that the cheapest covers for water damage and the next two (more expensive) don't. Also the excess is less. No wonder people go for the cheaper option if they don't examine the T&C's...

o2 insurance.JPG

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Thanks for pointing that out @Cleoriff

I never knew of that anomaly having never taken out O2 insurance and so never having read the finer details of the different levels of cover. It's really important that customers check these points out rather than just listening to the silver-tongued salesman wanting you to take out the higher priced cover. 

Message 8 of 8