Did you mean: 

Scammed for a new phone contract

MissIpanema
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have just been scanned. 
I received a call from fraudsters but they said they were o2.  They offered me a free Apple Watch and the latest iPhone 13.  

I stupidly said yes to the watch but no to the iPhone.  I thought I was speaking to o2 but I have since been told by o2 that they never call their customers and offer them products. 

Despite refusing the iPhone 13, it arrived anyway.  I contacted them on WhatsApp and they arranged to have the phone collected by Royal Mail. 

I also got emails with my new contract for the iPhone 13.  I complained to them about this and they said it was an error.

o2 have since told me that they never communicate with their customers on WhatsApp so they were definitely not from o2

i received the watch a little later.

I still thought I had been dealing with o2.

That was back on 7 July.  It wasn’t until 21 July when I got notification of my bill that I saw the iPhone 13 had been added to my account and I was about to start being charged over £37 a month for 36 months for a phone I do not have. And never used. Then I called o2 and they said I had been a victim of fraud and referred it to their fraud investigation team. 

I have to wait up to 30 days for the fraud team to complete their investigation.  During that time the direct debit for the phone will start to come off with the first payment towards the iPhone 13 due off my bank account on 4 August.   The problem is that despite me knowing 100% I was scammed, if the o2 fraud team were to conclude that it was not fraud, I will be held liable and be expected to pay £37 a month for 36 months for a phone I do not have and never used. I have to hope that they see it as fraud. Then they would cancel the contract, remove the device plan from my account, cancel the direct debit or have me cancel it, refund me all money I paid towards the phone and put my tariff back to what it was before the fraudsters tampered with it.

The fraudsters had also offered me a good deal on my tariff.

I think what happened is they somehow gained access to my o2 account and ordered an iPhone as if they were me.. Then even though I refused the phone they had it sent to me anyway.

When I had it collected by Royal Maik I thought it was going back to o2.  But it millstone have gone back to the fraudsters.

I do not have the phone.  I never used the phone.  I refused the phone.  I never ordered the phone.  But even so I face the possibility that I could be charged over £37 a month for 36 months for it. 

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35791 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

@MissIpanema - 

They clearly have access to your MyO2 so you should change your password to secure your account in the first instance.

These are large organised crime groups so they should be reported to the police as well as O2 and your bank and/or credit card account.

Action fraud site here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice 

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/protect-yourself/mobile-phone-fraud

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35791 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

@MissIpanema - 

They clearly have access to your MyO2 so you should change your password to secure your account in the first instance.

These are large organised crime groups so they should be reported to the police as well as O2 and your bank and/or credit card account.

Action fraud site here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice 

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/protect-yourself/mobile-phone-fraud

Message 2 of 4

Disheartened
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, This has just happened to me!  In June I was offered a discounted tariff by O2 (obv not O2) but they had all my data and I got text messages from O2 after the event.  I found that I had a new phone ordered when I one went into the app. I was able to call O2 straight away and tell then what had happened. I was told the fraud team would contact me in 30 days to talk about it.  I thought that was the end. I was wrong. Yesterday I was contacted but the O2 fraud team, or so I thought. They again quoted all my details and despite me being concerned, they said all calls were monitored and that they there fraud team taking calling to discuss and remove the final charges.  This evening, I felt compelled to check my account and yep, new phone has been ordered but delivery is to somewhere 2.5 hours away from me. I have tried to intercept the phone and will call the police tomorrow.  I don't know who to trust and who is calling, whether this is internal fraud or organised crime. I feel sick at the thought of ending up with this charge and possible impact on my credit rating if it doesn't get sorted ASAP. You are not alone 

Message 3 of 4

MissIpanema
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for replying to me. 
I will report them to the police and my bank. 
Thank you for the link. 
I just hope o2 cancel the contract and put my tariff back to what it was
i

Message 4 of 4