Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing name on a mobile number's account

BAP33
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm having a nightmare with calling 202 and not getting anywhere!

I have paid my son's phone bill since he was 11, he is now 26!   All I want to do is change his number to his name.  He has recently managed to get a new phone and a new contract, still with O2, so they have his email address on his number, but he was told he couldn't change the payment details because I have to do that. 

I have tried, and tried.  O2 told me they could change the direct debit details for me, so I ended the call and went and got my son's bank details, but when I called back with them, the next operative wouldn't do it unless my son tells them to - we had to be on the same call!  But we live opposite ends of the country!   

They keep telling me they can only change the NAME on the account holder of his number if he gets a new contract and sim, then ports his old number over.  But he just got a new phone and contract!   

I can't change anything via MY O2, because only my own phone number account shows up on there. 

As it stands, I am no longer getting billed for his phone, but he is getting emails saying he has to pay by a certain date, yet can't pay because they won't accept a change of direct debit from me to him, because I am still the account holder! 

Can anyone help?  Or at least direct me to an English operative, in England, because even though Google tells me O2 call centres are all in England, all I seem to get is a very difficult to understand or hear Indian person and, with respect, I NEVER get an adequate resolution to a phone enquiry with these companies unless its some young Geordie lad, or similar 🙂   Failing that, if he goes into an O2 shop where he lives in London, do they have people who can help him with this? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12073 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

In the simplest terms, you can't change the name on an account unless moving to a married/maiden name.

Just to clarify a couple of points @BAP33 

You mention your son has got a new phone and contract. Do you mean separate, with a new number? Or that the "old" contract has been upgraded?

Assuming he has a new, completely separate contract with a new number - what happens to the old one? Are you just trying to close it down? If you are trying to move the number across then you do both need to be present on the call - him to request the number and you to approve the move.

If all you are trying to do is change the bank details on the account, then you just need to log into your My o2 and change the sort code and account number.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10199 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@BAP33 

Yes your son needs to be on the call with you to be able to do it other the phone, as without his say so then you could be committing fraud against him..

And they are correct if you want to change the name on the contract, he needs to sign up for his is own contract and pass all the credit and affordability checks and then once that is done you both need to be on a call to migrate the number to his new account.

I am confused as well who's name is in the new contract in, or did you do it as upgrade in which case the above the applies. 

There is no other way round it I am afraid than to both be on a call at the same time, and even if you could get an UK Call Centre, they would still tell you the same.

An o2 store wont be able to help you either...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 7

BAP33
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, thank you for replying.

My son was able to go online and order an upgrade, so he got the latest iphone and another 18 months or 2 year contract - so the same number.  He knows he has to pay his first bill by 25th but cannot add his bank details because his number is still in my name - even though they email HIM with his amounts due, and managed to send his new phone to HIS address!   It's crazy that they will do all that and then not agree to take payments from him!

I can't do anything in respect of his phone on My O2, because that only shows my phone.  I tried to get O2 to add or sync his number to my My O2 account years ago, but they never did.  Yet they managed to change the email address and home address on that numbver's account!

I just want to talk to someone at O2 but in England to complain about this.  Because every time I call I get a difficult to understand operative, possibly in Delhi, who just givers generic answers - problems and complaints are beyond their pay grade 😞

Message 4 of 7

BAP33
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you so much!

My son managed to go online and upgrade to the latest iPhone, with a new 18 month or 2 year term, and they sent the phone to HIS address!   So how crazy is it that, that they won't change the name on the account because data protection/potential fraud,  yet they will send a brand new phone to a different address to that of the account holder?  

Its fine though, I want him to have total control of his number.  They have his email, he knows he has to pay them by 25th, but he can't because the original direct debit was in my name.  

When I asked him HOW  they managed to send him this new phone and contract, if they won't accept his bank details, he just said "because they are stupid!"  lol

Message 5 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@BAP33 

Your son needs to setup his own MyO2 account which will enable him to control where payments come from.

Guide: My O2 App 

How to pay | Account and billing | Help & Support | O2

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12073 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

I'm actually surprised he managed to collect the phone in the first place - he would have been asked for photo ID confirming the name on the account - which is yours @BAP33 and suggests he shouldn't have been given the phone!!

As @MI5 points out, there should be a My o2 account he logs into (which is how he ordered the upgrade) - once there he can update the bank details.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 7 of 7