"Smart Ambulance" trial using 5G

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Image of a fast ambulance driving in front of Big Ben

Hi guys, 

We've got some really interesting news for all of you, around a project O2 is now working on. If you're interested in 5G, the different uses it can have, or the future of health tech, keep reading! nerd

O2 will provide connectivity for a new “Smart Ambulance” at Millbrook Proving Ground this month, as part of a trial that has the potential to revolutionise patient diagnosis, transport and treatment.

The project will involve equipping a standard ambulance with state-of-the-art devices and connectivity to create a “Smart Ambulance” that will simulate 5G connectivity, transforming the vehicle into a unique remote consultation room.

The trial is being developed at Millbrook’s Proving Ground – a vehicle testing facility in Bedford that will help O2 develop and safely test the new system before it is deployed on the public network, replicating real world 5G capabilities.

O2 is partnering with Samsung for the devices, Visionable for the video collaboration software and Launchcloud for the asset tracking and compliance check elements. The combined expertise will equip the vehicle with a range of cutting-edge technology, including ⬇️

More info
  • Unlimited participants and data feeds for live conferencing
  • Visionable’s video and voice collaboration platform
  • Visionable’s patented pixel-for-pixel picture quality (allowing for clearer and more accurate use in medical scenarios i.e. scans)
  • Launchcloud’s versatile data collection app with automation, reporting and communication tools
  • Launchcloud’s API Integration with many applications including Salesforce, OneDrive and Microsoft Dynamics
  • Dynamic forms on tablets
  • Samsung’s fastest S-series device to date – the Galaxy S10 5G – offering users a powerful feature set along with the capability to connect to the next-generation 5G network

The group will work together to trial the latest monitoring and remote consultation technology to enable paramedics to conduct on-board treatments through mobile expert consultation. It is hoped the trial will demonstrate how “Smart Ambulances” can empower paramedics to treat more people with more ailments than currently possible and ease the strain on hospital resources by reducing the number of patients taken to hospital.

The trial itself will simulate an emergency call out, allowing paramedics to conduct checks, collect data and communicate with consultants remotely using on-board equipment. The paramedics will then be able to diagnose patients and recommend the appropriate treatment and next actions.

O2 is currently providing the devices and connectivity for a similar trial involving six ambulances at the East of England Ambulance Trust, led by Visionable, and funded by the UK’s innovation agency Innovate UK.

Being able to take advantage of 5G connectivity will enable super-fast upload and download speeds, reliable connectivity and low latency (delay in the transfer of data). This will provide smooth communication between paramedics and remote consultants via HD video. If successful, the trial may pave the way for the future of intelligent medical transport systems.

O2 research last year found that 5G video conferencing alone will free-up 1.1 million hours per year for the NHS, as well as saving cities £463 million per year and decreasing overall bed occupancy rates by 6% through the adoption of wearing monitoring devices.

What do you guys think of this potential use of 5G? Have you read of any other great 5G-related trials or uses that you're looking forward to?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@EmilieT 

I think  this Smart Ambulance trial sounds brilliantly innovative, though I have one big but....

The Ambulance involved in the trial will be stationary at a dedicated testing centre, where there will be 5G available.

So what happens if the test is successful and I presume it will be, when that same ambulance goes out on the road and they get variable signals (with limited or no 5G) throughout the trip, where they are hoping to save lives?

Not being negative, just trying to make a valid point? innocent

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10665 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Excellent trial for this application ~ something to benefit everyone.

Well done and hope this goes on to be very successful

when 5G is fully up and running @EmilieT 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 9

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

A brilliant idea but as @Cleoriff points out, it does rely on good connectivity being widely available but I hope the trial is a big success.

Message 4 of 9

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff A very good point, I don't have an answer but I would assume that'll be looked at in later stages of the trial slight_smile Based on your experience in the medical field, are there any other similar applications of technology that you'd like to see more developed? 

@TallTrees @jonsie Glad to hear you're interested! We'll let you know if we get more info on how the trial is going, and if you spot any other innovative uses of 5G being tried out let us know!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

To be honest @EmilieT things in medicine are moving so fast I can't keep up.

However, I really would like to see chemotherapy patients receiving complementary therapy whilst they spend the day having chemo.

I have a friend who does complementary therapy at a hospice. Gentle head, foot and hand massages. Really relaxing and I'm sure chemo patients would find this so beneficial.

However, it's all down to cost as usual. Added to the fact, many medical staff fail to see the benefit of Complementary medicine....:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 9

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

To be honest @EmilieT things in medicine are moving so fast I can't keep up.

However, I really would like to see chemotherapy patients receiving complementary therapy whilst they spend the day having chemo.

I have a friend who does complementary therapy at a hospice. Gentle head, foot and hand massages. Really relaxing and I'm sure chemo patients would find this so beneficial.

However, it's all down to cost as usual. Added to the fact, many medical staff fail to see the benefit of Complementary medicine....:smileysad:

A brilliant suggestion @Cleoriff  which would benefit so many patients. I truly hope that medical staff will see and understand the benefits of complimentary medicine and that the funding will be made available. Thank you again for your post Thanks!

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 7 of 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Sounds like a great test and well done to o2 for being part of it.
My OCD has to point out the proving ground is in Bedfordshire and not actually in the town @EmilieT ...

Sorry! Whistle

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 8 of 9

Mojo65
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sounds like a solution looking for a problem. 

Great in theory, anything that reduces the number of vehicles transporting paitients to hospital is a good thing, but turing the back of an AUE into a video consulting room is just going to tie up precious ambulances. Video and/or voice conferencing can all be done now with 4G if required. 

I could see the benefit of this out in the wilds of Scotland for example, where it's a long journy to hospital for the paitient, but there isn't going to be 5G in these locations; probably isn't any mobile signal in these locations and this isn't really the role of an emergency ambulance.

I'd be interested to know which ambulance trusts are participating or even interested in this and what they think.

Message 9 of 9