Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max & iPhone XR Megathread

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

We're pleased to confirm Apple’s latest products, the iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max have now launched and are available to purchase from today, Friday 21 September. Customers will be able to pre-order the iPhone XR beginning Friday 19 October, and launching on Friday 26 October.

If you'd like to get your hands on one of these beauties, click the appropriate link below to order online, or alternatively you can call our customer services, or visiting us in-store.

Links for Pay Monthly customers
iPhone Xs
iPhone Xs Max
iPhone XR
iphone_Xs_64gb_gold_sku_header.png
iphone_xs_max_gold_sku_header.png
iphone-xr-64gb-black-sku-header.png
Links for Business customers
iPhone Xs
iPhone Xs Max
iPhone XR

Watch the new iPhone in action, with some highlight features above

Questions?

With what is undoubtedly one of the most anticipated device launches of the year, we suspect many of you will have questions. Check out our extensive Q&A section immediately under this post which we hope will answer any questions you have. We will add more Q&A's over time but if you've got a question not listed, please feel free to reply to this thread and let us know.

Related community discussions

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 461
460 REPLIES 460

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thing is though, they maybe bigger but they are still the same size as the 8 & 8 Plus Just the screens are now end to end filled
Message 91 of 461

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Depends on the panel quality of the screen. Big phones are not unusual..A screen with Active HDR as well as oled on a handset would be technically tricky and costly. Perhaps they need the correct isp or a gpu with the ability built into them.

But anyway, i'm sure we mere mortals will be impressed either way.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 92 of 461

Anonymous
Not applicable

It has gpu in them as well as the cpu

Message 93 of 461

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

@anticpated wrote:
Depends on the panel quality of the screen. Big phones are not unusual..A screen with Active HDR as well as oled on a handset would be technically tricky and costly. Perhaps they need the correct isp or a gpu with the ability built into them.

But anyway, i'm sure we mere mortals will be impressed either way.

Most OLED panels are 10bit capable by default nowadays, it the GPU as you said needs to be able to push the 10bit colour to the display to enable the HDR.

Luckily the GPUs on most chipsets has been compatible with HDR since early 2017, some the full 4k HDR is possible (shameless xz premium mention) in oreo, HDR became natively built into android, and YouTube has been HDR capable in app for well over a year now.

HDR on android is pretty much standard now, with iPhones  it's a new technology that will see more adoption through the media we share, it's an unfortunate system that whilst we on android are years ahead with technology, mass market adoption only really comes when the iPhones take it on.

Message 94 of 461

SteveM3CP
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
If O2 Refresh is 0%, why are they charging £1,235.99 for the 64GB XS Max when Apple are charging £1,099.00?
Message 95 of 461

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SteveM3CP It’s likely that you take into account the device & airtime plans where as Apple sell just the handset

Message 96 of 461

Grandad
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I got an iPhone a few years ago on their refresh plan, and it was actually cheaper after all the payments were made than buying it direct from Apple. The device refresh is independant of your air time contract.

I think it comes down to the fact that O2 used to lock the handset and therefore be guaranteed of clawing some of that money back by knowing you'll be using their network. Now with unlocked devices (as others have posted to confirm), why would O2 give you 0% finance when you can take the phone and use it on another network? They are not a bank, and certainly not in the buisness of providing 0% finance without another incentive.

I'm not familiar with the range of options and prices on the O2 shop nowadays so don't pretend this to be definitive, just an aspect to consider. One thing their web shop does say is that the total device cost stays the same when adjusting the contract term and bundled data - £1,127.99 for the 64GB XS, which is £129 more expensive than buying direct from Apple, even if you take just a 3 month contract. Only O2 can explain that, but my guess is Apple distribution discounts aren't that great and O2 has to make money.

Message 97 of 461

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122124 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@Grandad. I think O2 are relying heavily on Refresh and their other discount schemes ie Open, Family plans etc, to keep their customers.

Also it's no coincidence that their decision to sell phones unlocked came pretty much at the same time as their custom plans....(allowing people to opt for 3 years if they so desire)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 98 of 461

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
The problem I can see is, too many times Apple relies on he naivity of some and the sponsorship of others.

Huawei and Nokia have proven this twice by partening up with a professional lens developers on their camera to produce hi-resolution images without interpolation.

I considered the red 8 plus from Apple although that means halving my current resolution. Given a choice now no matter what i get I rather buy direct and go simo.

There is a difference between getting justified value for your money and being shamelessly ripped off. Just like our lovely uk economy. Anyway....

My girlfriends niece is a typical teenager who must have the latest iPhone. I'm no prosumer and like high end stuff myself however there is a limit to this.

Anyway I hope the transition to the larger screen of xs max is not too traumatic for all you people with small hands and is handbag compatible for all women.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 99 of 461

Cleoriff
  • 122124 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

There will be no transition for me @anticpated. I am perfectly happy with my Note 8 which apparently is streets ahead of this new range of iPhones....wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 100 of 461