Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max & iPhone XR Megathread

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

We're pleased to confirm Apple’s latest products, the iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max have now launched and are available to purchase from today, Friday 21 September. Customers will be able to pre-order the iPhone XR beginning Friday 19 October, and launching on Friday 26 October.

If you'd like to get your hands on one of these beauties, click the appropriate link below to order online, or alternatively you can call our customer services, or visiting us in-store.

Links for Pay Monthly customers
iPhone Xs
iPhone Xs Max
iPhone XR
iphone_Xs_64gb_gold_sku_header.png
iphone_xs_max_gold_sku_header.png
iphone-xr-64gb-black-sku-header.png
Links for Business customers
iPhone Xs
iPhone Xs Max
iPhone XR

Watch the new iPhone in action, with some highlight features above

Questions?

With what is undoubtedly one of the most anticipated device launches of the year, we suspect many of you will have questions. Check out our extensive Q&A section immediately under this post which we hope will answer any questions you have. We will add more Q&A's over time but if you've got a question not listed, please feel free to reply to this thread and let us know.

Related community discussions

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 461
460 REPLIES 460

Anonymous
Not applicable

All new o2 phones come unlocked now so maybe that is a way round the esim issue

Message 81 of 461

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Grandad wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Grandad wrote:

With the travelling I do mainly in Africa, I think it will (for now) be high expectations to arrive at the border and get them to provision a pre-pay day data pack on an eSIM - it will be much more predictable to use the eSIM for your home network (O2?), and the SIM tray for your overseas network. 

The benefits of an esim just became clear, right there.

Yes, very much the benefits of O2 supporting eSIM, so customers can go and play nicely with others. If you check out the providers who do support eSIM https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209096 you'll see the majority are in EU, with only USA, Canada and India as 'international' providers. We don't really need a second network to roam around EU (at least until Brexit), so getting a service from the other EU providers on your eSIM isn't highly likely unless your home network is somewhere else in the world.

Every single network provider in the world provides physical SIM cards, but only a few so far support eSIM. The approach must be to provision the eSIM for your 'main' connection wherever possible, and use physical SIM cards everywhere else.

If I had the choice of one of the China market iPhones with a dual SIM tray (2 physical SIM cards and no eSIM), I would have probably just gone for that instead. But the hardware is what it is, and Apple sell it as such because there is a provider in the market that supports the hardware. It just means O2 customers will either have to wait for O2 to support eSIM, or move to EE.

Obviously the other big draw for O2 is the ability to then offer customers in UK 2 contracts / numbers - one work and one personal. I see a huge market for that!

Which will be promptly banned by most employers under the guise of GDPR! Unless you have that separation of data (doesn't Blackberry have that option?), I can't see many corporate purchases of iPhones coming with both sim's enabled as the risk of being fined is high. Rather the opposite, esim enabled only and makes IT's life a whole lot simpler in provisioning it for users. 

Message 82 of 461

Grandad
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@sheepdog wrote:

@Grandad wrote:
Obviously the other big draw for O2 is the ability to then offer customers in UK 2 contracts / numbers - one work and one personal. I see a huge market for that!

Which will be promptly banned by most employers under the guise of GDPR! Unless you have that separation of data (doesn't Blackberry have that option?), I can't see many corporate purchases of iPhones coming with both sim's enabled as the risk of being fined is high. Rather the opposite, esim enabled only and makes IT's life a whole lot simpler in provisioning it for users.

Corporates who have a policy of playing it extreemely safely may do just that, but the question of personal / company data separation on a personal device is much deeper. To just take your work email address as an example; job_role@company.com does not fall under personal data in GDPR but firstname.lastname@company.com does. It's possible to remotely wipe a users mailbox on their phone without touching the rest of their personal content, so certain levels of granular control do exist. The more we move to mobile work force and BYOD, the more complicated the issue becomes, and I don't think we should hijack the "iPhone Megathread" with that conversation. Even if those tyrannical organisations do decide the boundry of the company / personal content is the physical device itself, which is fair enough if they are providing the device, I think the market for someone having two numbers on their phone is more than big enough. It doesn't have to be a company / personal divide, you might want two numbers for other reasons. 

Message 83 of 461

SaintRC
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 37 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

How have people been getting on with ordering?

I've seen a lot fewer people than normal both on here and on Twitter saying they've been succesful - but I've also not seen many people complaining about issues ordering. Maybe just less interest in these latest iPhones in general??

I've not been able to get past the payment stage since 7:30AM - despite my payment details being accepted each time. Having not been blown away with the increase in specs this year, I'm wondering if this is all worth the trouble...

Message 84 of 461

Jackmw14
  • 18 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I was wondering the same thing I got mine done at 7:25 but they all seem to still be in stock on the website
Message 85 of 461

Grandad
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@SaintRC wrote:

Having not been blown away with the increase in specs this year, I'm wondering if this is all worth the trouble...

I'm moving from a 2014 iPhone 6+, so while I didn't see the need to upgrade for a few years now, the combined difference over 4 years, and especially the dual SIM, tipped it for me. Other than that, and especially if you are coming from a 8 or X, I'd also need a good reason to drop >£1K on the new model.

At that price, and given the section of the launch about longevity, I expect this XS to last me the best part of 5 years - £200 per year, which is what we used to spend on annual handset refresh cycles. It's that 5 year life expectancy that made me go for the XS instead of waiting for the XR next month.

Message 86 of 461

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Make no mistake, Apple have only gone dual SIM route (both physical and esim) because of Huawei.
Just like they increased screens because of Samsung, and added the pencil because of Note.
When they see an actual shift in consumer needs, they almost double back on previous claims regarding larger screens, urgh stylus, one sim for all service.
Huawei is an actual physical threat to iPhone,
Message 87 of 461

THX91
Level 1: Joiner
  • 16 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Preordered an iPhone XS Max Space Grey 256GB at 07:28 this morning.

Was extraordinarily easy, especially after the shambles that was last year with the iPhone X preorders.

No website crashes, no no debit card rejection or hang ups and it all went through fine.

Can’t wait for that 6.5” HDR OLED screen and to play the new Elder Scrolls game on it 😍🤤🙌🏻

iPhone X 256GB
iPad Pro 10.5 256GB
50GB Data Plan
iOS, MacOS and Android user.
Message 88 of 461

Mat
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

I have an upgrade coming up for one of my lines in a couple days and I noticed that there is a price difference on iPhone;

iPhone xs max 256 gb -

- o2 price on a refresh contract is £1407 vat included

- apple store online price is £1249 vat included

I call o2 customer service and they told me “higher price since is a pre order and the price will come down after the 21st”.  To me it makes no sense upside_down - isn’t refresh contract suppose to be 0% interest on devices?

Message 89 of 461

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

@THX91 wrote:

Can’t wait for that 6.5” HDR OLED screen 

Welcome to 2017. 

Message 90 of 461