Did you mean: 

Wifi and 4G Calling coming to O2

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

O2 has today switched on Wifi and 4G Calling, giving our customers yet another way to stay connected with O2.

The launch of Wifi Calling gives our customers the option of making and receiving calls over Wi-Fi even if they can’t connect to the mobile network, whilst 4G Calling provides our customers with clearer calls and better indoor coverage over our fast 4G network. Both of these work together to provide a seamless, uninterrupted experience and less dropped calls when moving between the two.

From launch, Wifi and 4G Calling will be available to eligible iPhone 7 and 7 Plus customers on any O2 consumer Pay Monthly, SIM only and business tariffs, with customers shortly receive a software update to enable Wifi and 4G Calling. More devices will be coming very soon.

Customers can use Wifi Calling wherever there’s Wi-Fi coverage, while 4G Calling will initially be available in in London, Leeds and Slough with more cities rolling out over coming months.

Wifi and 4G Calling allows customers with eligible handsets to be able to make voice calls using a Wi-Fi connection or the O2 4G network. Wifi Calling can help when you can’t get a mobile signal, while 4G Calling gives you great quality calls. In 4G Calling areas, they work together, switching automatically and seamlessly between the two without dropping.

Wifi Calling uses any available Wi-Fi connection to help you make and receive calls. It’s perfect for when customers don’t have a phone signal but do have a Wi-Fi connection e.g. O2 Wifi, home or office broadband. Although our free TU Go app offers O2 customers the ability to make calls over Wi-Fi, Wifi Calling means no app is needed – just dial a number as normal.

4G Calling means customers can make high-definition calls over the O2 4G network. This can bring benefits like better quality voice calls, a faster call set-up, better indoor coverage and longer battery life. It also means customers can make a 4G call and get online using 4G at the same time.

More info here

Edit: Adding the updated information about the inclusion of the S7 and S7 Edge wink

I have some great news! From today wifi and 4G calling is being expanded to include the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge! 

To enable Wifi Calling on the S7 you will need the following:

• A Samsung S7 or S7 Edge purchased directly from O2
  • The latest system software installed 
  • the Wifi and 4G bolt on applied 

As with the iPhone 7 or 7 Plus, some O2 services are incompatible with Wifi and 4G Calling on the Samsung device. If you're using any of the services below you'll need to make a decision on whether to carry on or switch to Wifi and 4G Calling:

• TU Go
  • O2 Just Call Me
  • Mobex
  • Mobile Recording from O2

Since 17 April, Samsung S7 and S7 edge customers have been receiving notification of a new software update. Once this update has been installed, your device will be Wifi and 4G Calling ready – but the options won’t yet appear in your Settings menu. To enable Wifi and 4G Calling, you’ll need to first set it up:

• Regular customers can go to My O2 and tap on Device Details > Wifi and 4G Calling.
  • Business customers need to call in or contact their Digital Advisor or Business Partner.

Once this is done, it may take up to 24 hours for the bolt-on to be applied but once it has, the menu options will appear in the Settings menu and can be switched on as follows:

• Settings > Connections > Wifi Calling > switcto On
  • Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > 4G Calling > switch to On

And that's it you're good to go! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well o2 you need to get your staff and systems operatin correctly then I was pointed through your app and website to check if my phone was eligible I was advised it was and would be active on 24 hours I am running a iPhone 5s I then performed a web chat as it had not activated and was advised it would be active in 24 hours sorry for the delay (still a iPhone 5s) I just called customer services and they have never even heard of this new service and started telling me about tugo a terrible system that cost me to miss hundreds of calls till I deleted the account so I think some information sharing may be required at o2
Message 11 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is wrong on so many levels can o2 answer me this why is it only available to customers who buy the new iPhone model when the iPhone 5s onwards is running the exact same software you can run it out now I am sick of being told you have to buy the latest model to get this feature when we all know you can send the carrier settings to everyone on pay monthly using a iPhone 5s or above if you can use it on the iPhone 7
Message 12 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
This isn't O2 so no one will answer you I'm afraid.
More phones will come in time though I'm sure.
Just one thing to note though is that EE wifi calling doesn't work abroad as someone said it did. I'm in France now and my EE wifi calling doesn't work.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 21

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

I have some great news! From today wifi and 4G calling is being expanded to include the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge! 

To enable Wifi Calling on the S7 you will need the following:

• A Samsung S7 or S7 Edge purchased directly from O2
  • The latest system software installed 
  • the Wifi and 4G bolt on applied 

As with the iPhone 7 or 7 Plus, some O2 services are incompatible with Wifi and 4G Calling on the Samsung device. If you're using any of the services below you'll need to make a decision on whether to carry on or switch to Wifi and 4G Calling:

• TU Go
  • O2 Just Call Me
  • Mobex
  • Mobile Recording from O2

Since 17 April, Samsung S7 and S7 edge customers have been receiving notification of a new software update. Once this update has been installed, your device will be Wifi and 4G Calling ready – but the options won’t yet appear in your Settings menu. To enable Wifi and 4G Calling, you’ll need to first set it up:

• Regular customers can go to My O2 and tap on Device Details > Wifi and 4G Calling.
  • Business customers need to call in or contact their Digital Advisor or Business Partner.

Once this is done, it may take up to 24 hours for the bolt-on to be applied but once it has, the menu options will appear in the Settings menu and can be switched on as follows:

• Settings > Connections > Wifi Calling > switcto On
  • Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > 4G Calling > switch to On

And that's it you're good to go! 

If there any any questions about wifi and 4G calling on the S7 and S7 Edge please let me know. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 14 of 21

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

My O2 has just updated and this information is available now via the app.Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 21

mavericke
  • 83 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I think O2 UK should follow other mobile providers in the UK where their wifi calling firmware is made available to more devices without requiring any extra steps to be taken.
Message 16 of 21

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
What about the oneplus3t. O2 has an exclusive with oneplus. I can use wi-fi calling in the oneplus3t using a mates ee sim. So the phone is ready
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 17 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well 4G Voice has arrived and is rolling out across the country.

So having an iPhone 5SE I thought I would try it.

My O2 Account was switch on via MyO2 on my mobile.

Then I tried to switch on 4G Voice & then WiFi. No joy.

After chatting for an hour with a GURU it appears that not only will 4G Voice not work (to be expected) in an area where it is not up and running, but in addition, you cannot even switch on the functionality on your phone.

So unlike 2G & 3G which switch on seamlessly as you move from one area to another, you have to know you are in a 4G Voice Area and then switch on the 4G & WiFi, the mobile does not do this automatically. I was also told that when you move out of a 4G Voice area your mobile will switch off the buttons in Settings, so you will need to switch it back on the next time you know you are in a 4G Voice area.

This is not the seamless experience that I was expecting in the way that my mobilw will work moving to and from 2G and 3G Voice areas.

So I have gone back to using my TUGo App.

I cannot imagine it will be any time soon that a continuous 4G Voice coverage will be available, so you will be faced with manually switching back and forth to get 4G Voice and go with out TUGo, if you wish to use 4G &WiFi.

Message 18 of 21

mtbrown26
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Come on add Samsung Galaxy S8+
Message 19 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
They need to get it working on any device first wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 21