cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The New Huawei Mate 20 Pro is now available!

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to announce that the new Huawei Mate 20 Pro is now available on O2 in Black and Twilight colours! slight_smile

This phone has got some awesome features including a triple camera and it can be easily unlocked with your fingerprint or face. You can also get a cinema discount pass when you get this phone on selected tariffs. Read more below!

Huawei Mate 20 Pro

Get more from your day

The Huawei Mate 20 Pro has a powerful Dual NPU Chipset, so you'll get a smooth and speedy performance that'll help you get more out of your day. Create a slideshow whilst listening to videos on YouTube, edit photos and videos on the go, or simply kick back and watch a movie without annoying buffering ruining the ending.

Capture pictures like a pro

The Mate 20 Pro's got an Ultra-Wide Angle Leica Triple Camera with 10x zoom, so you can capture all the smaller details. And the built-in Artificial Intelligence will help you fine tune your photos by picking the best settings for your environment, so you'll always get the perfect shot.

Keep your personal stuff personal

Whether you've got documents, photos or personal contacts on your phone, you don't want them getting into the wrong hands. The Huawei Mate 20 Pro has a fingerprint scanner built into the display, and 3D facial recognition - so you can unlock it with your fingerprint or face. That means that only you can get into your phone and access your stuff.

Take it anywhere

This phone's got an IP68 rating, which means it's resistant to dust and can even survive underwater for 30 minutes, at a depth of up to 1.5 metres. Going away for the night? No need to take your charger. The Huawei Mate 20 Pro has a battery life that lasts up to two days. So whatever you love to do, the Mate 20 Pro makes the perfect companion.

In addition to the awesome features above:

• You can get a friends and family cinema pass on selected tariffs, to get you up to 40% off cinema tickets for 24 months! Claim yours when you buy any Pay Monthly phone or tablet on a 15GB+ tariff, or any dongle on an 18GB+ tariff.
  • With Custom Plans you can be in control of your phone plan by choosing how much you pay upfront, how much data you need, and how long you want to pay off your phone for. You can flex your data allowance up and down, once a month.
  • You can receive a cash payment upon upgrading when you recycle your old device through O2 Recycle either in store or online.

We'd love to hear what you think of this device and if you're planning to get one? Let us know in the comments. smiling 

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

mikeyw64
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @Chris_K

Whats even more annoying is there is also now a .126 with Android Securioty patches for Oct ;o)

Understand it comes from Huawei but it would be nice if the carrier (regardless of who) could apply some gentle pressure based on "customer complaints aboutr not being fully functional" grin

Mind you it would be nice if Phone manufacturers (and I'm not singling out Huawei here) were obliged to make firmware & security patches avaibale for manual install should people want to do that rather than waiting fror them to come OTA.

Understand why OTA is the preferred method but shouldn't be the only method.

But I digress grin

Message 11 of 28

mikeyw64
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Chris_K
Finally managed to get he .122 firmware to download..... buy buying a £1 PAYG Vodafone SIM from Argos and popping it in without even bothering to activate it!!

Message 12 of 28

Medalat
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The phone is pretty awesome.

I am a long time ios user.  Went to store to update my iPhone x to the iPhone xsmax (more screenstate) rep suggested I take a look at the Huawei mate 20 pro and was hooked.  

Got the phone from o2 - Trf sms messages (not seamless but doable) and everything else which is important to me.  Downloaded all my trusty apps from play store (wild west compared to the istore).

Didn't realise how much I rely on imessage especially with picture messaging at .49p a pop. This eats into any savings on your device cost.   But hey ho I thought WhatsApp to the rescue.  Not ideal or seamless but it's android v apple ios. Aside from all the crud nobody cares about in phone reviews its something that they should cover but they don't and its a big tick for ios.

The major problem I have is that Huawei or more correctly O2 have not enabled wifi calling on the phone. (They should mention this in the blurb) Where I live in a town, not some farm in the middle of nowhere,  the signal inside my home is 1 bar or at best 2 bars (with a fair wind and me hanging outside my window at a 38.5 degree angle ass to south).  I rely on wifi calling which was happily running on my Iphone X.  This I can't fix (no Tu app anymore) and unless O2 confirm that wifi calling will come to the Mate 20 pro although I love the phone and would be happy to keep its a deal breaker.

Hope this helps you guys when making a decision.

Message 13 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
Every bit of info helps @Medalat .. why not come back again & give us another review when you’ve had the phone a while!
Message 14 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

It is a shame, though they are roling out to new devices all the time @Medalat

Currently on these ..... and hopefully @Chris_K could give us an update as to when it will be available on the Pro 20?

Wifi and 4G Calling is currently available on the following devices:

• iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, iPhone X, iPhone Xr, iPhone 8 Plus, 8, 7 Plus, 7, 6s Plus, 6s, 6 Plus, 6, SE
  • Samsung Galaxy S9, S9 Plus, S8, S8 Plus, Note8, S7, S7 edge and J3 2017, A8, A3 2017, A6, J6, J5 (2017), A5 (2017), Note9, A7, J6+
  • Sony Xperia XZ2, Xperia XZ3, XZ2 Compact, XZ Premium, Xperia XA2, Xperia XZ1, Xperia XZ1 Compact
  • Oneplus 5, 5T, 6
  • HTC U11
  • Doro 8035

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 28

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Thanks for your first impressions of the phone and yes, WiFi calling is a dealbreaker for all people in low network coverage areas so this is very good information.

Message 16 of 28

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

For the Mate 20 Pro, we’re working with Huawei to bring the functionality to customers soon, but don't currently have any ETA for this. We’ll share more info as and when it becomes available.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 17 of 28

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for that @Chris_K

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 28

mikeyw64
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Chris_K

Are O2 also working with Huawei to enable VoLTE as well as VoWIFI on the M20P with the O2 config?

My understanding is that a vanilla M20P supports both but that the options to enable are removed by the O2 customisation aspect.

Reason for asking is that if I pop my Sim into my Planet Computers Gemini (which is most certainly not on the O2 officially supported list) I certainly get VoLTE, really must check on VoWFI. FOrtunately I'm in a good signal area.

Message 19 of 28

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey all,

The 122 firmware has been approved by Huawei and should now be live for O2 customers. Just to reiterate, we cannot comment on why Voda may have had this update before us, but in general, within the UK, Huawei wait for all networks approvals before making it available to customers.

We're in discussion with Huawei on trying to streamline this process as much as possible, but I want to stress that we approved the 122 update on 26th Oct, the same day we received it - thus, any 'delay' in customers receiving it was not within our control.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 20 of 28