Did you mean: 

TU Go is closing 30th November

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey all,

We see some of you have already spotted this but we wanted to confirm that the TU Go app & service will be ending on 30th November. We’ll be notifying all customers that have the TU Go app about this from today, Tuesday 17th October, through to Friday 20th October.

While TU Go is ending, we’re continuing to offer alternative calling options for our customers. More information can be found here. As VoWifi (Voice over Wifi, part of our Wifi and 4G calling capabilities) continues to develop, we’re working with our vendors to expand the selection of handsets that we offer with Wifi and 4G calling capabilities. A full list of currently supported devices can be found here, where we will also add future devices when they’re available.

If the device you’re currently using doesn’t support Wifi and 4G calling, you can check the My O2 app or get in touch with our customer service team (202 from an O2 Pay Monthly mobile, 8002 from O2 Business mobile) to see what upgrade options are available to you.

We recommend that all TU Go users make copies of any stored messages or images that they have saved on the TU Go app, as the app won’t be accessible from 1 December.

A thank you
We know that some of our O2 Community members helped test the TU Go app during beta trials and provided varied and fantastic feedback which helped our team shape the app, add new features and fix any bugs. We hope you’ve enjoyed using TU Go, and again want to thank anyone from the O2 Community that helped us.

More information on the closure of TU Go can be found here: https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 4 of 1,062
1,061 REPLIES 1,061

Anonymous
Not applicable

My contract finishedwith O2 in August and I have been holding of. But the fact that after more than 15 years an O2 client that my area (Tiptree & great Totham Essex) has not even got 3G (yes seriously) and that I relied solely on TU go wifi for support in great Totham (no phone signal and no 3G....yes seriously) then this news is the final nail in the coffin. 

Will be be moving to EE who offer all the above services in Tiptree AND wifi calls in great Totham.

Not quite sure where you are going O2...."Shooting yourself in both feet" comes to mind.

Seems to me you are just as arrogant as those men in suits I Brussels, so.....

Au Revoir

Message 201 of 1,062

Anonymous
Not applicable

Like many other O2 customers, I’m extremely disappointed with the announcement from O2 regarding the decision to close the TU app. As an O2 customer (for more than 15 years), living in an area with extremely poor 2G coverage, TU is the only means of making and receiving texts and mobile calls whilst at home. 

Losing TU will be socially very inconvenient; professionally it will be intolerable. For example, as a VAT registered sole trader, working from home, I can only make online HMRC tax inputs and returns using security protocols that exclusively consist of receiving security codes via immediate text message from HMRC. Similarly, banking procedures with a number of business accounts routinely involve receiving security codes via text message. Sending and receiving these texts without a mobile signal will no longer be possible once TU is withdrawn. And in spite of my iphone being less than two years old, I will not be able to make calls via VoWiFi as the device is not supported. 

For social convenience, and business-led necessity, I will be forced to change mobile provider as from December 1st, once TU is withdrawn. Fortunately, as my contract is due for renewal in January, I’ll only lose a couple of months unused contract time. I’m fortunate; other customers are facing significantly greater losses.  

However, the way in which the closure of the TU service was announced, with such unprofessionally short notice, and patronising text narrative (‘But you can keep using it right up until then', I was informed - no sh!t Sherlock!) means I am now (genuinely) looking forward to leaving O2. After receiving fifteen years of trouble free, satisfactory service, don’t you think O2 have scored such a fantastically spectacular own goal. And all with just one, ill-considered decision and the subsequent blunt , patronising text message. The pure irony is that if it wasn’t for the TU app, I wouldn’t have received that text from O2 for several days at least!

Message 202 of 1,062

Anonymous
Not applicable

Somebody in O2, did not rtealise the advantage this app gave them.

What you have written is bang on the money and should have been written also to the Chief Exec.

Please do that.

This is really going to hurt the plan for O2 to have an IPO, so stupid is it I do wonder if whoever approved it is covertly working for a business competitor.

I am now talking to a journalist who might cover it.

Message 203 of 1,062

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yep, limited to 3gb.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 204 of 1,062

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you checked how much data you use? You might find that you could get a tariff for a similar price that is 4G.

It is a shame that the app is going but EE has had WiFi calling built in for a long time and I'm told it's very good. You don't have to worry about an app like TU, it just works like a normal phone.

I bought the HTC U11 through O2 a couple of months ago and that device isn't currently supported for WiFi calling. I'm in a 2 year contract so I'm not sure where that leaves me.
Message 205 of 1,062

Aircub
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I agree with all the complaints being made. A stupid short sighted decision by o2.

I could make and receive calls from my ipad and have a record of calls made and received together with text messages using tu go.

This feature kept me as a customer.

O2 please keep tu go in parallel with your new wifi service!

Why stop a great feature liked by so many customers? Not a good business decision!

Message 206 of 1,062

Fellwalker
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@scooby71 wrote:

The 6 odd months free use was to build up a customer base who would become reliant on it and therefore would take any necessary steps to stay with any replacement service.

6 months? I've been using TuGo since I joined O2 which is over 10 years ago. 

Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 207 of 1,062

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes, it's always been free @Fellwalker. Not sure why @scooby71 thought it was for 6 months? Obviously doesn't use Tu...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 208 of 1,062

Fellwalker
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I've sent a complaint email using Resolva (one of O2 suggestions and it gives money saving expert an overview of the issue). It raises some other issues unmentioned so far. Being locked into a new expensive phone that must use O2 firmware and won't be compatible with their opponents is an issue I'd  not considered till I started my complaint. It also allows down security updates. All networks are guilty of that (unless they use Android native WiFi calling) and perhaps O2 saw others successfully locking in new customers? 

I am writing to you to raise an issue about Mobile (Pay Monthly) at O2 on October 19th, 2017. All I got was a text message.

O2 is withdrawing TuGo which is the alternative way of making calls and texts in bad signal areas, using WiFi. It also allows sending and receiving such calls and texts using tablet or PC.
Your suggested options include buying a new compatible (expensive) phone to allow WiFi calling (but not texts and not working on tablet or PC). Such a phone would be locked to O2, using O2 firmware and thus no longer getting direct manufacturer updates. It would require a device contract and would prevent me from moving to an alternate supplier that used a different method of Wi-Fi and 4G calling.
You suggest alternatives such as WhatsApp even though those only work when both ends of the message are registered users.
This means my phone (less than a year old) is no longer effective as a mobile phone unless there is a good signal, and there are many places in the UK with poor O2 coverage.
Many other users are also affected including some for whom it is a lifeline.

I do appreciate that on seeking out your terms and conditions they give you the right to remove this service at any time. However, you have used it in adverts, on your Web site and in messages to your customers about overcoming poor signal quality. Unless at those times you specifically drew the attention of everyone to these terms, you have been at the least misleading, and may have overwritten those terms.

Please Continue TuGo.

I look forward to a prompt response.

Please reply to my Resolver email account as I would like to keep all of my communications in my personalised complaints case file.

Yours faithfully

Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 209 of 1,062

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was very dissapointed to receive a text from O2 yesterday saying that they are discontinuing TU from 30th November when all data will be deleted and the app will stop working. O2 are giving the reason for this because calls can be made via wifi and 4G on certain top end phones. I have a 3 month old phone but it does not come on this list.

Am I in the minority that uses this app on a regular basis? The O2 signal is very weak where I live so I use TU for text messaging and there is no 4G signal within 20 miles. I stayed with O2 when I renewed my contract because it's somewhat reliable but I wish now I had changed to EE and been able to get a sure signal box at home.

Are there any other users annoyed about this change?

Message 210 of 1,062