Did you mean: 

TU Go changes its name to TU

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

Those of you who use TU Go may soon see some changes to the app's branding name and the look of some pages in the near future.

This is because the app is enjoyed around other parts the world as well as in the UK, where it has been known as simply TU for a while now in certain areas.

This wont change how the app works in terms of functionality and charges, but you may see a cosmetic change :).

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
And it means "you"......I fail to see the logic there.

If it was a word that meant nothing in any European language then I could see the logic.

Car makers have latched onto this for new car model names.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 22 of 40

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

We're just having a civil (I think) discussion @Toby. I'm giving mine, and @PhoneDoc is entitled to give his. If you Google in quotes what @gmarkj has posted, maybe O2 might want to rethink the branding, unless they want the app to be associated with 'chaos' and 'broken', and what was also censored out.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 23 of 40

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Sainsbury's are also aware of the Spanish connection as that is where they get their usage.
@Bambino - I just thought it mildly amusing given the issues over the last few days. If I had thought about it much I should have guessed at that meaning. It is fairly appropriate for me given my rather hit and miss outlook!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 24 of 40

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Bambino,

Totally agree, discussion is always good. I'm still agreeing with @PhoneDoc on the analogy however haha. I'll always welcome discussion as you know, and I'll always have an opinion too, just like you wink

Get involved:

Message 25 of 40

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

Why would O2 want to establish a trademark seven years after another company already had it? I'll ask you the same question then, @PhoneDoc. What's the significance of the name? To me, it means absolutely nothing. Personally, I think your Apple store analogy is completely wrong. The name TU is mainly associated with American universities. It's also a Chinese surname. What relationship it could have with the app is beyond me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TU

As Toby said, it's a pretty relevant word in the Spanish language (about a dozen of the 15 countries Telefonica works in are Spanish speaking nations). So it'll be well recognised by about half a billion people. 

Message 26 of 40

Cleoriff
  • 122349 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

TU means You or Your in Spanish. 'Mi Casa Tu Casa'  (my home is your home). Personally I see no need for a name change. TuGo always implied To Go for me....ie anywhere you go Tugo will be there (notwithstanding whether it actually works or not)....Not sure I would be happy with it changing to Tu. I have used Sainsburys for years and use their TU brand of clothing frequently

.I have had a few issues with TuGo whilst in Spain... and will be responding to your PM about this shortly @Toby

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 40

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@PhoneDoc wrote:
As Toby said, it's a pretty relevant word in the Spanish language (about a dozen of the 15 countries Telefonica works in are Spanish speaking nations). So it'll be well recognised by about half a billion people. 

It might be me but I still fail to see what relevance "you" has to an app....whether it's in Spanish or English ?

For Sainsbury's TU as a clothing brand there is relevance.....clothing is a personal thing for example that well used phrase "Oh that does suit you"

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 28 of 40

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

You could argue that 'you' are in all of your interactions with friends and family. Your life and those around you make you who you are. I'm getting deep with the metaphors haha wink

Get involved:

Message 29 of 40

Cleoriff
  • 122349 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

You could argue that 'you' are in all of your interactions with friends and family. Your life and those around you make you who you are. I'm getting deep with the metaphors haha wink

Nope...too deep @Toby Tu Go means YOU GO...now doesn't that sound much better....? Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 40