Did you mean: 

TU Go changes its name to TU

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

Those of you who use TU Go may soon see some changes to the app's branding name and the look of some pages in the near future.

This is because the app is enjoyed around other parts the world as well as in the UK, where it has been known as simply TU for a while now in certain areas.

This wont change how the app works in terms of functionality and charges, but you may see a cosmetic change :).

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
I feel a patent dispute coming as Sainsburys already have been using TU for a long time
Message 11 of 40

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous, please see my post above slight_smile

Get involved:

Message 12 of 40

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

Hi @Bambino,

The app does work for most members though, so the team can (and should) continue to work on other aspects. Also, separate teams work on the app itself and its surrounding marketing and branding internationally.

With regards to the TU brand, the products/services are entirely separate and do not conflict in that way. This makes a difference to how names can be used.

Hi @Toby,

With all respect, the app wasn't working for many people over the weekend, hence the many threads of complaint which myself and some of the other regular contributors here had to field. Whether it was working related to other aspects is immaterial. There were quite a few people with new or upgraded phones and sims who couldn't receive texts because of the app not working properly.

With regards to the TU brand, it just seems to me that O2's marketing branch haven't done their homework. Why would they want customers confusing the branding with Sainsbury's clothing even if the service offered doesn't conflict? Can you tell me what makes 'TU' more significant than 'TuGo', because I personally don't see it as an earth shattering brand name change, and it won't surprise me in the least if Sainsbury's don't ask O2 the same question.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 13 of 40

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Bambino,

Yes, some members did see issues over the weekend, but most did not, so when you say, "but it's no good to anyone if it doesn't work" this indicated to me that you thought this affcted all members which is not the case slight_smile.

I am however going to post an update very soon regarding it and have been asking members if they are still affected. I'm also working on getting us more dynamicallt pro-active updates for the app when there are issues.

TU is simply how the brand is reflected across the globe in certain aspects. Making it more consistent across the different countries provides more consistant information, updates and communication. I cannot offer any thoughts on other companies and their brands :).

Get involved:

Message 14 of 40

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

With regards to the TU brand, it just seems to me that O2's marketing branch haven't done their homework. Why would they want customers confusing the branding with Sainsbury's clothing even if the service offered doesn't conflict? Can you tell me what makes 'TU' more significant than 'TuGo', because I personally don't see it as an earth shattering brand name change, and it won't surprise me in the least if Sainsbury's don't ask O2 the same question.

O2 has had a tradmark with the text Tu since 2012. Sainsbury's since 2005. Along with about 40 other companies dating back to the 80s. It's not unusual for companies in totally different fields to have overlaps on their trademarks. This'll cause about as much confusion as people going in to an Apple store to buy their pink ladies.

Message 15 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

What does TU stands for ?

Message 16 of 40

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

What does TU stands for ?

Tutting Useless Zipped

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 17 of 40

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@PhoneDoc wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

O2 has had a tradmark with the text Tu since 2012. Sainsbury's since 2005. Along with about 40 other companies dating back to the 80s. It's not unusual for companies in totally different fields to have overlaps on their trademarks. This'll cause about as much confusion as people going in to an Apple store to buy their pink ladies.

Why would O2 want to establish a trademark seven years after another company already had it? I'll ask you the same question then, @PhoneDoc. What's the significance of the name? To me, it means absolutely nothing. Personally, I think your Apple store analogy is completely wrong. The name TU is mainly associated with American universities. It's also a Chinese surname. What relationship it could have with the app is beyond me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TU

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 18 of 40

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

funnily enough, searching for "what does TU mean" gives on link which says ******'s up (chaos, broken).

Oops...

edit - seems I fell foul of the swearing censor.

it meant a small british bird also called blue, yellow or great (and this word)...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 19 of 40

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Its also a Spanish word guys FYI. O2 is part of the Telefonica group.

I think @PhoneDoc's analogy is valid. Its obviously personal opinion here though guys. We're al different slight_smile

Get involved:

Message 20 of 40