Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Update from O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

27th February 2017 Update

Hi Everyone. This week we will be posting letters out to any customers who have not yet made arrangements with us to return their Samsung Note7 devices. If for any reason you misplace or do not receive it for whatever reason, here's a copy:

We’ll soon block the Note7 from our network. It’s important that you get in touch today and we’ll get you back on track with a new device.

We’ll make switching to a different device simple, and give you £100 off the upfront cost. Or, if you prefer, we’ll cancel your Airtime Plan. Either way, we’ll cancel and refund your Device Plan.

Is your Samsung Note7 insured with us? We’ll also cancel your policy and refund your premium.

Simply back up your Note7, turn it off and call our hotline 0344 809 0202 or 202 free from an O2 mobile. Need a hand backing it up? Chat to an O2 Guru online.

For more details, visit http://o2.uk/Note7Update.

If you’ve already called us, please ignore this letter.

30th January 2017 Update

Hello everyone,

Samsung have notified us of their plans to release a new mandatory software update that will limit Note 7 devices to a 0% charge, effectively eliminating its ability to function as a mobile device. This software update is expected to be pushed out tomorrow, 31st January, so if you are still using this device (which we don't recommend for your safety) please take any necessary steps to back up any important data while you can.

Why are you doing this?
To be transparent and clear, this is Samsung’s decision and is European-wide. This is a further step in Samsung looking to retrieve as many devices as possible so as to ensure customer safety.

I'm still using my Note 7 - what now?
Once your device downloads the mandatory update it will cease to charge. We understand the inconvenience this may cause and we want to make transitioning to another device as easy as possible. If you are affected by this, please contact us as soon as is convenient on 0344 809 0202. We will also be in touch in the coming days by email and letter with more details, including how to change to another device and return your Note 7 to us if not yet done so.

I've already returned my Note 7 - what does this mean to me?
If you've already returned your Note 7 to us, there's nothing further you need to do. If you're in this position, we anticipate you'll already have switched to an alternative device. If this isn’t the case though, we’d recommend you speak to us as soon as you’re able to on 0344 809 0202.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 1,893
1,892 REPLIES 1,892

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Could you please keep us posted if you have any joy replacing your phone today @jonsie . Cheers muchly.

@Anonymous I think you have misunderstood. @jonsie is actually in Thailand and was intending to get a Note 7 from the Samsung store there. However they had been withdrawn before he got the chance.. so he actually hasn't got the Note 7 at all?....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 81 of 1,893

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

so where does this leave people like myself who have upgraded, purchased accessories (Samsung branded so not cheap!), sold their old phone and dont have a replacement, had to take two days off work to await delivery of the phone on one day and the VR headset on another and dont want to settle for another phone as they want the Note 7?

In this circumstance we'd recommend contacting Samsung on 03307261000 who can discuss the replacement further.

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi Chris, thanks for the update but i dont fall into any other those options you stated. I have ordered it as an upgrade but have not received it. My order status is still "in progress". Can you fill me in as where i stand? And MI5 is right, CS told me the order was going ahead and to expect it within 2 weeks.

Timescales may depend on when we receive stock from Samsung but if you're unhappy with the wait, you can get in touch with our CS to cancel the order or change to a different device

@Anonymous wrote:
...and what about people who don't want another device or to cancel, but already have the Note 7? Or is it just a case of waiting for a call?

We'd recommend contacting Samsung directly who'll be able to discuss the repair/replacement of the device in further detail

@Anonymous wrote:
What's the position on the bundled Gear VR? Do we have to return that if we exchange for a S7 Edge, for example?

Typically with handsets that come with gifts or pre-order bonuses, we would ask for these to be returned alongside the device - but if you were in the fortunate position of receiving a free GearVR with your pre-order, you'll be able to keep this if you move to another Samsung device such as the S7 edge.

@Anonymous wrote:
Bit frustrating. Received my device, recycled old phone and now being told I've got to return it under the 14 day period. Can't understand why I cannot keep hold of the device, be careful and use common sense with it, then replace it like for like when 'improved' note 7's are readily available. I understand it may blow but Samsung indicate no issues with UK phones 'yet' and I'm fully aware of the risks of using it still.

In these circumstances we'd recommend contacting Samsung on 03307261000 to discuss the replacement/repair of the device directly. Looking through this thread it looks like you've already done this however slight_smile

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 82 of 1,893

prototype89
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Spoke to Samsung this morning and the wait time for a replacement is 3 weeks (Black Onyx).

There was no mention of compensation for wasted accessories such as screen protectors or a free memory card - and I really did press them about this.

Message 83 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

@prototype89 wrote:

Spoke to Samsung this morning and the wait time for a replacement is 3 weeks (Black Onyx).

I wonder if this will be the same kind of time for a pre-order, (as in my order is in the system already)

fingers crossed.

Message 84 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi any comment from them on how the replacement process will work? Are you supposed to send the old phone to Samsung directly or wait for the replacement to arrive, then send the old phone back to o2?

Message 85 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd hope the replacement proceedure might be something along the lines of either..

Courier delivers new phone and collects old one there and then

Courier delivers new phone and a date is arranged for collection of the old one a couple of days later to give the owner time to transfer things across

However those two both require some common sense so i'd personally be very surprised if they did it this way.

Message 86 of 1,893

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions
Message 87 of 1,893

prototype89
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
That would be ideal. I really hope we get new new replacement units and not units sent back and have had their batteries changed.

Message 88 of 1,893

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144355 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
They will do that and sell them off as refurbs I guess....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 89 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got this email from Samsung, not a chance will they repair mine as you'll be without an handset for 7+ days!

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your email. Your customer reference number is XXXXXX.

Samsung is conducting a thorough inspection with our partners and we will share the findings as soon as possible. We are currently working hard on finalising the Note7 replacement & repair process, at this stage we will capture your information in order to be able to contact you at the earliest opportunity to arrange your replacement or repair.

In order to proceed, please share with us the following contact details.

•        Full Name
•        Full Address
•        Contact Number / Email Address
•        IMEI / Serial Number

Alternatively you may contact the Retailer or Network Provider you purchased your Note7 from in order for them to assist you further.

Rest assured Samsung is fully committed to providing the highest quality products to our consumers.

If you require additional support please contact us on 0330 726 7864 (UK) or 0818 717 100 (EIRE), or respond to this email and I will be more than happy to help.
Alternatively you can visit our Support website where you will find FAQs, How-To-Videos and other useful information for Samsung products.

Message 90 of 1,893