Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Update from O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

27th February 2017 Update

Hi Everyone. This week we will be posting letters out to any customers who have not yet made arrangements with us to return their Samsung Note7 devices. If for any reason you misplace or do not receive it for whatever reason, here's a copy:

We’ll soon block the Note7 from our network. It’s important that you get in touch today and we’ll get you back on track with a new device.

We’ll make switching to a different device simple, and give you £100 off the upfront cost. Or, if you prefer, we’ll cancel your Airtime Plan. Either way, we’ll cancel and refund your Device Plan.

Is your Samsung Note7 insured with us? We’ll also cancel your policy and refund your premium.

Simply back up your Note7, turn it off and call our hotline 0344 809 0202 or 202 free from an O2 mobile. Need a hand backing it up? Chat to an O2 Guru online.

For more details, visit http://o2.uk/Note7Update.

If you’ve already called us, please ignore this letter.

30th January 2017 Update

Hello everyone,

Samsung have notified us of their plans to release a new mandatory software update that will limit Note 7 devices to a 0% charge, effectively eliminating its ability to function as a mobile device. This software update is expected to be pushed out tomorrow, 31st January, so if you are still using this device (which we don't recommend for your safety) please take any necessary steps to back up any important data while you can.

Why are you doing this?
To be transparent and clear, this is Samsung’s decision and is European-wide. This is a further step in Samsung looking to retrieve as many devices as possible so as to ensure customer safety.

I'm still using my Note 7 - what now?
Once your device downloads the mandatory update it will cease to charge. We understand the inconvenience this may cause and we want to make transitioning to another device as easy as possible. If you are affected by this, please contact us as soon as is convenient on 0344 809 0202. We will also be in touch in the coming days by email and letter with more details, including how to change to another device and return your Note 7 to us if not yet done so.

I've already returned my Note 7 - what does this mean to me?
If you've already returned your Note 7 to us, there's nothing further you need to do. If you're in this position, we anticipate you'll already have switched to an alternative device. If this isn’t the case though, we’d recommend you speak to us as soon as you’re able to on 0344 809 0202.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 1,893
1,892 REPLIES 1,892

Cleoriff
  • 122940 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Please contact Samsung directly. According to information from @Anonymous they will supply you with a replacement phone. O2 will not. At least going through Samsung who are prepared for the recall, will ensure you have the best help available. Phone number for Samsung support is 0330 7261000

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 71 of 1,893

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93246 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
No phone call from O2 yet, despite having ordered mine on the first day of pre-order. It is an Onyx Blue, so they have had those already. Will call Samsung today and see how it goes. Like Jam0r, no sign of overheating on charging.

Ironically, the reason that I have no other phone is that just before getting my Note 7, my Note 4 got stuck in a looping reboot that seems to have been caused by overheating... It's been in for repair with the Samsung Experience store for 2 weeks now and no indication of when it will be back. Managed with just my Gear S watch for calls for a short while but can't do 2 months!

Presumably before the proverbial hit the fan you tried it with the fast changing?  Did you notice any overheating problem? 

Message 72 of 1,893

MI5
  • 144383 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
As we always advise anyway, go to Samsung directly.
O2 will deliberately try to make it difficult whereas Samsung will not.
I'm also not sure what support o2 would not offer you in the future that you couldn't get from Samsung or elsewhere anyway.
It sounds like they are trying to apply scare tactics to me.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 73 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Presumably before the proverbial hit the fan you tried it with the fast changing?  Did you notice any overheating problem? 

Have been using the fast charger...absolutely no indication of a problem.  It doesn't get as warm as my old Note 4.  No difference in warmth (or lack of) if am using or not while charging.  

I am being careful - only charging during the day when I can keep an eye on it and all data backed up, including my SD card in case that gets fried along with the phone. 

Message 74 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
Samsung support is apparently closed on Sundays...will call tomorrow and see how that goes.
Message 75 of 1,893

jonsie
  • 93246 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions
Message 76 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a quick FYI here.

From what Samsung have said in their press release, the problem is with the Anode and Cathode short circuiting and causing the battery to vent. I have had this happen to me with a few batteries in the past (In pocket with my keys). Fast charging or slow charging wont make a difference if there is a piece of conductor able to short the terminals of the battery. Also you wont notice any excess heat from the phone until seconds before the battery starts to vent.

I dont want people to be misinformed here and think that a setting on the phone will prevent this happening on a faulty device.

Here is the quote;

"Based on our investigation, we learned that there was an issue with the battery cell," a Samsung spokesperson explained in a note to Fast Company late Friday afternoon. "An overheating of the battery cell occurred when the anode-to-cathode came into contact, which is a very rare manufacturing process error." 

I spoke to Samsung on Friday, they told me that they are shipping tested replacement units to retailers UK wide. I will be able to swap my phone starting Monday.

I would advise that you charge your phone far away from you at night, or better yet, somewhere you can keep an eye on it during the day. Take the phone back to your retailer at the earliest opportunity to swap it out.

Message 77 of 1,893

jonsie
  • 93246 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Just a quick FYI here.

From what Samsung have said in their press release, the problem is with the Anode and Cathode short circuiting and causing the battery to vent. I have had this happen to me with a few batteries in the past (In pocket with my keys). Fast charging or slow charging wont make a difference if there is a piece of conductor able to short the terminals of the battery. Also you wont notice any excess heat from the phone until seconds before the battery starts to vent.

I dont want people to be misinformed here and think that a setting on the phone will prevent this happening on a faulty device.

Here is the quote;

"Based on our investigation, we learned that there was an issue with the battery cell," a Samsung spokesperson explained in a note to Fast Company late Friday afternoon. "An overheating of the battery cell occurred when the anode-to-cathode came into contact, which is a very rare manufacturing process error." 

I spoke to Samsung on Friday, they told me that they are shipping tested replacement units to retailers UK wide. I will be able to swap my phone starting Monday.

I would advise that you charge your phone far away from you at night, or better yet, somewhere you can keep an eye on it during the day. Take the phone back to your retailer at the earliest opportunity to swap it out.

A good explanation here :

Why do lithium batteries explode?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37255127

"if a lithium-ion battery cell charges too quickly or a tiny manufacturing error slips through the net it can result in a short circuit - which can lead to fire."

Message 78 of 1,893

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@prototype89 wrote:

I'm told that if I have any problems in future, given that the replacement phone will not be an O2 IMEI phone I won't be entitled to any help from O2 in future.

That's a good thing !!!......O2 contractor's reputation for phone repairs is cringeworthy,

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 79 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
Could you please keep us posted if you have any joy replacing your phone today @jonsie . Cheers muchly.
Message 80 of 1,893