Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Update from O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

27th February 2017 Update

Hi Everyone. This week we will be posting letters out to any customers who have not yet made arrangements with us to return their Samsung Note7 devices. If for any reason you misplace or do not receive it for whatever reason, here's a copy:

We’ll soon block the Note7 from our network. It’s important that you get in touch today and we’ll get you back on track with a new device.

We’ll make switching to a different device simple, and give you £100 off the upfront cost. Or, if you prefer, we’ll cancel your Airtime Plan. Either way, we’ll cancel and refund your Device Plan.

Is your Samsung Note7 insured with us? We’ll also cancel your policy and refund your premium.

Simply back up your Note7, turn it off and call our hotline 0344 809 0202 or 202 free from an O2 mobile. Need a hand backing it up? Chat to an O2 Guru online.

For more details, visit http://o2.uk/Note7Update.

If you’ve already called us, please ignore this letter.

30th January 2017 Update

Hello everyone,

Samsung have notified us of their plans to release a new mandatory software update that will limit Note 7 devices to a 0% charge, effectively eliminating its ability to function as a mobile device. This software update is expected to be pushed out tomorrow, 31st January, so if you are still using this device (which we don't recommend for your safety) please take any necessary steps to back up any important data while you can.

Why are you doing this?
To be transparent and clear, this is Samsung’s decision and is European-wide. This is a further step in Samsung looking to retrieve as many devices as possible so as to ensure customer safety.

I'm still using my Note 7 - what now?
Once your device downloads the mandatory update it will cease to charge. We understand the inconvenience this may cause and we want to make transitioning to another device as easy as possible. If you are affected by this, please contact us as soon as is convenient on 0344 809 0202. We will also be in touch in the coming days by email and letter with more details, including how to change to another device and return your Note 7 to us if not yet done so.

I've already returned my Note 7 - what does this mean to me?
If you've already returned your Note 7 to us, there's nothing further you need to do. If you're in this position, we anticipate you'll already have switched to an alternative device. If this isn’t the case though, we’d recommend you speak to us as soon as you’re able to on 0344 809 0202.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 1,893
1,892 REPLIES 1,892

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous, I've answered your PM. Get back to me when you can please.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1711 of 1,893

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous,

Please send me a PM when you are back and we can sort this out for you. Or, we can try and arrange something else for you while you are away. Feel free to send me a PM any time.

Get involved:

Message 1712 of 1,893

Glassbeard
  • 72 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm now on my 3 week aniversary since CS told me to expect a phonecall shortly to arrange pickup.

I'm beginning to think they don't want it back!

In scary news, I did a check on ebay and Note 7 devices are still being sold for between 800 and 1000 and these are completed listings!

Message 1713 of 1,893

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Glassbeard, I'll ask the rest of the team to chase this up for you.

Get involved:

Message 1714 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to share my experience so far. 

I was called 3 weeks ago from O2 to recall the phone, I was told UK Mail would contact me within 2 days to arrange to pick the phone up but nothing from UK Mail, instead I was sent a blue bag to take to post office asking me to return phone with all accessories and free gift which I did and sent by special delivery so I could get a signature on delivery. It was received by O2 two weeks ago and my contract was cancelled. 

The only outstanding issue I now have is the lack of refund for the upfront payment and 1 month while I had the phone which I was promised in 5 to 10 days.

I have contacted customer services using online chat and was told that because the contract had now been cancelled they couldn't help me and advised me to call accounts. I have called accounts who said they were going to look into it and call me back, so far no call.

Thankfully O2 are not taking further payments but I would like the money I paid up front for the phone so I can buy another phone instead of using the old one I have to at the moment.

Maybe tomorrow...

Message 1715 of 1,893

TreggyIII
Level 4: Observant
  • 78 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous you were fortunate Royal Mail didn't notice what you were sending, as the Note7 is on their prohibited items list now.

As for the refund, I called the dedicated number last week (more than a week after my phone was picked up by UK Mail) and I was told that my refund had not been automatically processed as it should have been by their system apparently owing to the 'large volume of returns they're dealing with', and - get this - that the BACS refund could take up to 20 (yes, 20!) days to hit my bank. I'm wondering if I should invoice them for the interest LOL

Message 1716 of 1,893

Gsdworld21
Level 3: Thinker
  • 103 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
They are talking rubbish. If they've issued the refund using BACS it's 3 days. Mine was and according to Google 3 days is standard
Message 1717 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I will give them until tomorrow then I will call them again, this whole process has been painless apart from this last step of getting my money back. I know from experience BACS refunds are quick, the slow part is getting O2 to process the refund in the first place.

Message 1718 of 1,893

TreggyIII
  • 78 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Gsdworld21 lol, I know that, and you know that!

But I just found it to be laughable that they quoted me that time, I honestly think the CSA was making it up on the spot, according to her the BACS process goes like this...

1) We issue you a refund (two, actually, because we can't process the device plan and upfront costs together), which, by BACS, will take 10 working days to enter "your bank's holding account".

I'm sorry, did you say 10??

2) You must then phone your bank and ask them to transfer the money in to your personal account.

You're joking, yes??

3) If you fail to contact the bank, they will wait another 10 working days and then transfer it to your personal account anyway.

{speechless}

I kid you not, this was a real conversation I had!!

Message 1719 of 1,893

Gsdworld21
Level 3: Thinker
  • 103 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
We should write a book and we could call it "How my note7 changed my life" lol 😁
Message 1720 of 1,893