Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Update from O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

27th February 2017 Update

Hi Everyone. This week we will be posting letters out to any customers who have not yet made arrangements with us to return their Samsung Note7 devices. If for any reason you misplace or do not receive it for whatever reason, here's a copy:

We’ll soon block the Note7 from our network. It’s important that you get in touch today and we’ll get you back on track with a new device.

We’ll make switching to a different device simple, and give you £100 off the upfront cost. Or, if you prefer, we’ll cancel your Airtime Plan. Either way, we’ll cancel and refund your Device Plan.

Is your Samsung Note7 insured with us? We’ll also cancel your policy and refund your premium.

Simply back up your Note7, turn it off and call our hotline 0344 809 0202 or 202 free from an O2 mobile. Need a hand backing it up? Chat to an O2 Guru online.

For more details, visit http://o2.uk/Note7Update.

If you’ve already called us, please ignore this letter.

30th January 2017 Update

Hello everyone,

Samsung have notified us of their plans to release a new mandatory software update that will limit Note 7 devices to a 0% charge, effectively eliminating its ability to function as a mobile device. This software update is expected to be pushed out tomorrow, 31st January, so if you are still using this device (which we don't recommend for your safety) please take any necessary steps to back up any important data while you can.

Why are you doing this?
To be transparent and clear, this is Samsung’s decision and is European-wide. This is a further step in Samsung looking to retrieve as many devices as possible so as to ensure customer safety.

I'm still using my Note 7 - what now?
Once your device downloads the mandatory update it will cease to charge. We understand the inconvenience this may cause and we want to make transitioning to another device as easy as possible. If you are affected by this, please contact us as soon as is convenient on 0344 809 0202. We will also be in touch in the coming days by email and letter with more details, including how to change to another device and return your Note 7 to us if not yet done so.

I've already returned my Note 7 - what does this mean to me?
If you've already returned your Note 7 to us, there's nothing further you need to do. If you're in this position, we anticipate you'll already have switched to an alternative device. If this isn’t the case though, we’d recommend you speak to us as soon as you’re able to on 0344 809 0202.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 1,893
1,892 REPLIES 1,892

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well the dream is over for me. Phoned and cancelled today, I also tried to cancel my account as well considering the pathetic treatment I've had from O2 this last 2 months, and the fact that I've still had no explanation as to why my "guaranteed" delivery of 30th August never happened.

In the end they managed to work out a sim only deal for me which us much cheaper than even gifgaff. So I've bought a Oneplus 3 with the money I'll be saving over the year, not my first choice but it'll more than do until a Note 7.5/8 or the Galaxy 8 comes around.

I'm still currently out of pocket £48 upfront cost for the phone, £50 for accessories I bought in good faith once I was "guaranteed" a delivery date £28.50 they've taken this week for my "device plan" and over £100 I've lost in resale value on my current phone. So i'll still be actively pursuing my complaint.

Probably for the best, I've been obsessively checking this forum 20 times a day for the last 6/7 weeks.
Message 1341 of 1,893

TreggyIII
Level 4: Observant
  • 78 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Firstly, my apologies to anyone who I was in contact with on here for my absence recently - flu got me bad!

I hate to have been right in this, but I saw this coming 3 weeks ago - I wonder if O2 did too, hence why they've been so slow at releasing new handsets?!

@TreggyIII wrote:

What I'd really like to know, is EXACTLY what Samsung have done to make these new 'S' sticker devices safe? I've seen posts on various forums by people who have received these 'new' devices, but have wildly unlikely reported manufacturing dates (like a day or two after the initial press release by Samsung).

How on earth did they research, re-engineer, redesign and re-manufacture in such a short space of time?

Seriously, I know we're all moaning about having to wait so long for a replacement, but hasn't anyone else thought 'hold on a minute...from a technical standpoint, Samsung have fixed that issue awfully quickly!'?

@TreggyIII wrote:

I have to say, this leaves me with ZERO confidence that the new devices are any safer, I don't see how Samsung can, in light of this, have anything like 100% confidence that the issue has been resolved.

It's only going to take one new device going up in smoke to start this whole fiasco off again, and I doubt the service providers, or consumers, will be so accomodating the next time.

Message 1342 of 1,893

Gsdworld21
Level 3: Thinker
  • 103 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've personally never believed that these were safe handsets. After my firmware update said I was using exploited firmware my minds been on overdrive. And now it's gonna bite them on the back side
Message 1343 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

So latest is anyone using a Note 7, original or "fixed" needs to stop using and power down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37614770

Samsung says it will stop all sales of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphone worldwide after reports of repaired devices catching fire.
The South Korean firm also told owners to stop using the device and power it down while it investigated the fault.

Message 1344 of 1,893

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions
Message 1345 of 1,893

prototype89
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

As stated here ....

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Galaxy-Note7-important-information-fro...

Oh for god's sakes this is getting ridiculous. Twice I've spent hours customising my phone and transferring data. I'm soooo furious!!

Message 1346 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
It looks like a full "give up". Gutted. Hopefully some guidance shortly from O2 as to options for those who have the "fixed" phone. My preferred option is a full refund and a SIM only deal. I'll drop back to my Note 4 and wait to see what happens...
Message 1347 of 1,893

Gsdworld21
Level 3: Thinker
  • 103 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Just spoke to O2. A statement will be issued but they are asking everyone to power down the handset and return it. If you call returns they will arrange a return. Apparently Royal mail are accepting the returns providing the note7 is powered down. Bye bye note7 it was fun while it lasted
Message 1348 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

Doubt i'll be sticking with o2, their customer service throughout all of this saga has been god awful.

I'll be holding out for the Google Pixel and a sim only deal more than likely.

Message 1349 of 1,893

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Gsdworld21 wrote:
Just spoke to O2. A statement will be issued but they are asking everyone to power down the handset and return it. If you call returns they will arrange a return. Apparently Royal mail are accepting the returns providing the note7 is powered down. Bye bye note7 it was fun while it lasted

Hi @Gsdworld21 Thanks for this info. However I would like to know how they are 'asking everyone to power down the handset'. You phoned them...therefore you were told.

The info about Royal Mail is also interesting...(as I heard a similar restriction by another carrier)...However, an OFFICIAL statement needs to be made by O2 asap

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1350 of 1,893