Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Update from O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

27th February 2017 Update

Hi Everyone. This week we will be posting letters out to any customers who have not yet made arrangements with us to return their Samsung Note7 devices. If for any reason you misplace or do not receive it for whatever reason, here's a copy:

We’ll soon block the Note7 from our network. It’s important that you get in touch today and we’ll get you back on track with a new device.

We’ll make switching to a different device simple, and give you £100 off the upfront cost. Or, if you prefer, we’ll cancel your Airtime Plan. Either way, we’ll cancel and refund your Device Plan.

Is your Samsung Note7 insured with us? We’ll also cancel your policy and refund your premium.

Simply back up your Note7, turn it off and call our hotline 0344 809 0202 or 202 free from an O2 mobile. Need a hand backing it up? Chat to an O2 Guru online.

For more details, visit http://o2.uk/Note7Update.

If you’ve already called us, please ignore this letter.

30th January 2017 Update

Hello everyone,

Samsung have notified us of their plans to release a new mandatory software update that will limit Note 7 devices to a 0% charge, effectively eliminating its ability to function as a mobile device. This software update is expected to be pushed out tomorrow, 31st January, so if you are still using this device (which we don't recommend for your safety) please take any necessary steps to back up any important data while you can.

Why are you doing this?
To be transparent and clear, this is Samsung’s decision and is European-wide. This is a further step in Samsung looking to retrieve as many devices as possible so as to ensure customer safety.

I'm still using my Note 7 - what now?
Once your device downloads the mandatory update it will cease to charge. We understand the inconvenience this may cause and we want to make transitioning to another device as easy as possible. If you are affected by this, please contact us as soon as is convenient on 0344 809 0202. We will also be in touch in the coming days by email and letter with more details, including how to change to another device and return your Note 7 to us if not yet done so.

I've already returned my Note 7 - what does this mean to me?
If you've already returned your Note 7 to us, there's nothing further you need to do. If you're in this position, we anticipate you'll already have switched to an alternative device. If this isn’t the case though, we’d recommend you speak to us as soon as you’re able to on 0344 809 0202.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 1,893
1,892 REPLIES 1,892

Anonymous
Not applicable

Following the link to the Samsung US support page, I've noticed the following

5. When can I buy a new Note7?

Our first priority will be to provide exchange program participants with a new Note7 as approved by the CPSC. New Note7s will be available at your carrier and retail outlets no later than September 21, 2016.

Why haven't the UK been given at least a date yet that we can work to?

Message 531 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

Feeling a little dejected here. I really want to get this sorted out before I go on holiday next month as quite like using my phone on aeroplanes... 

I have been a customer of O2 for a very long time (over a Decade). Have to admit that I am a little incy wincy bit disappointed at the level of contact from O2 (or should I say lack of any contact - at all) since this debacle started. Like many here, I am not convinced that O2 really have me "on the list" (if there is a list). I have spoken to them on more than one occasion - calls initiated by me. The message has not been consistent. It really doesn't feel as though anyone at O2 is actually "managing" this situation which, in itself, is shocking. O2 has all of our contact details. A simple email every few days to say "hey, we still know you are there waiting for us to swap your phone. We will update you at regular intervals" would go a hell of a long way and it is such a simple thing to do/execute. It just needs someone to manage it and if there isn't someone to manage it, it needs their Customer Services Director (or someone with equivalent seniority) to recognise that, as the point of sale of these defective and dangerous handsets, O2 has both an ethical and legal duty to "do something" rather than just sit back leaving loyal contract paying customers in the dark as to whether anything is ever going to happen. In these days of social networks, it is not difficult to identify who these senior players are within O2. Perhaps we need to start directly canvassing them to get the company to do the right thing by its customers in terms of managing communication, ensuring CS are properly briefed, etc.. They are, after all, the point of sale. With that comes significant legal accountability. I would like to see some action pretty soon.

Message 532 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Toby is there any way to find out even if I am going to be called about my note 7 I ordered on the 17th of August and received it on the 30th but still not heard a thing and as I use my phone for business in have had to go out and spend £150 on a sim free phone to see me through......very disappointed after being with O2 for 10 years
Message 533 of 1,893

saraD
  • 14 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

ordered mine on 17th august recieved it august 30th still no contact from 02 phoned them so many times and no one knows any thing need to get there finger out and get this sorted 

Message 534 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Toby no call very disappointing!
Message 535 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Toby no call from outbounds. No call from manager. 😢
Message 536 of 1,893

Gsdworld21
Level 3: Thinker
  • 103 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I originally ordered with carphone warehouse but cancelled and went directly with O2 but they still text me with note7 updates. Here's the text I just received from CPW

Samsung has announced a global replacement program for the Galaxy Note7 as a precautionary measure for a battery cell issue, and is asking you to exchange your Galaxy Note7 for a replacement. The exchange program begins in the UK next week. Until then, the advice from Samsung is to power down your handset and take it into your nearest Carphone Warehouse store. We'll also lend you a handset while we wait for the replacement Note7 handsets to arrive from Samsung. If you have already exchanged your Note7 please ignore this message.
Message 537 of 1,893

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

Sorry to hear some of you are still waiting! If you're after a call-back and it has not occurred, please give us a call and our team can look into your individual cases. I don't have updates to everyone affected at this moment and cannot provide individual customer updates as the community cannot access customer's personal info.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 538 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Toby we call customer services and they say we need to be patient and wait and don't bother calling
Message 539 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Toby
Advice followed and no answers! Told to wait . Team are working through the list blah blah blah....
Maybe I'll get it for Christmas!
Message 540 of 1,893