Safer Internet Day. Tuesday 6th Feb.

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions
SID.png
"Create, Connect and Share Respect: a better internet starts with you."

Safer Internet Day 2018 will be celebrated globally tomorrow, Tuesday 6th February.

Coordinated in the UK by the UK Safer Internet Centre, the celebration sees hundreds of organisations get involved to help promote the safe, responsible and positive use of digital technology for children and young people.

The day offers the opportunity to highlight positive uses of technology and to explore the role we all play in helping to create a better and safer online community. It calls upon young people, parents, carers, teachers, social workers, law enforcement, companies, policymakers, and wider, to join together in helping to create a better internet.

As leader in the online safety space, O2 are again in full support of Safer Internet Day this year. On Tuesday 6th February, we’ll be doing some live tweeting on the @O2 Twitter account with one of the NSPCC experts, sharing tips and advice, and answering any questions you may have.

And we’re not forgetting the O2 Community. If you have any questions about our partnership with the NSPCC, or more specific questions about keeping your children safe online, then let us know in the comments below and we’ll respond to them on the day, with help from our NSPCC team.

PS. If you think of any questions after Safer Internet Day, don't worry - get in touch here or on our Social Media accounts and we'll always offer help & advice.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Honestly @Cleoriff what was the friend's mother thinking? Forget that clearly she wasn't thinking and didn't care what the second phone would be used for.

I love my god children but there is no way I would buy them a second phone their parents knew nothing about. I wouldn't buy them anything that their parents were unaware of, before I actually bought it.

Unbelievable and truly frightening.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 11 of 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Of course I am simply pointing out what happened at one school in my region.

They got caught because they were using the phones in lessons and they were confiscated. If it happens in one school, I can only presume it's quite common in other areas. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 15

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Today was school pick up day for our grand kids 9 and 7, boy and girl.  Over a drink they both started to talk about keeping safe online, so we guessed it had been a special day to day. Theyd picked up a fair bit of info. I hope it sticks. One of them will need reiteration as that child might be vulnerable.

Withus they dont view the tele or use the internet we tend to cook,play  or  use the garden. 

We'll check out the info on line to day to back up what theyve learnt. Thanks 02

Message 13 of 15

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

This is a toughie, M15.

I wrote a short piece about  gkids telling us what they'd learnt today. I wondered in the world of needing ''FRIENDS' and being 'popular' how easy it is with that little screen in your hand to be trusting. As a car is your womb ; the screen is your WORLD.

wrote:
How does a parent draw the line between privacy for the child and protection for the parents with regard to monitoring the child’s online activities?

Message 14 of 15

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

wrote:
How does a parent draw the line between privacy for the child and protection for the parents with regard to monitoring the child’s online activities?

Thanks for the questions @MI5 - I sent it to our O2-NSPCC team and they've got the below for you - hope it's what you were after.

@O2-NSPCC wrote:
Good question! It can be a bit of balancing act. We often try to encourage open and honest conversations between parent and child. It’s important the child feels able to approach the parent in the event of seeing something they don’t like. Combine that with using suitable parental controls and restrictions and that should help too

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 15 of 15