Safer Internet Day. Tuesday 6th Feb.

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions
SID.png
"Create, Connect and Share Respect: a better internet starts with you."

Safer Internet Day 2018 will be celebrated globally tomorrow, Tuesday 6th February.

Coordinated in the UK by the UK Safer Internet Centre, the celebration sees hundreds of organisations get involved to help promote the safe, responsible and positive use of digital technology for children and young people.

The day offers the opportunity to highlight positive uses of technology and to explore the role we all play in helping to create a better and safer online community. It calls upon young people, parents, carers, teachers, social workers, law enforcement, companies, policymakers, and wider, to join together in helping to create a better internet.

As leader in the online safety space, O2 are again in full support of Safer Internet Day this year. On Tuesday 6th February, we’ll be doing some live tweeting on the @O2 Twitter account with one of the NSPCC experts, sharing tips and advice, and answering any questions you may have.

And we’re not forgetting the O2 Community. If you have any questions about our partnership with the NSPCC, or more specific questions about keeping your children safe online, then let us know in the comments below and we’ll respond to them on the day, with help from our NSPCC team.

PS. If you think of any questions after Safer Internet Day, don't worry - get in touch here or on our Social Media accounts and we'll always offer help & advice.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Find out more about the O2-NSPCC online safety workshops in the video below 🙂

Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers for the heads up, will check out the O2 twitter 

Message 3 of 15

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Today's the day. Today is Safer Internet Day.

Ask below or send @O2 a tweet with any questions you may have about keeping your children safe online before 2pm today and our trained O2-NSPCC helpline staff will be here with answers, tips & advice. thumbsup

Message 4 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
How does a parent draw the line between privacy for the child and protection for the parents with regard to monitoring the child’s online activities?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 15

Bill1945
Level 3: Thinker
  • 32 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thank you for the PM received earlier today

This is a topic of indefinable importance to all of us and our future generations.

As we all know these days many parents and guardians (responsible adults) abrogate their responsibility with regard to protecting and showing love to the child in their care because they are too busy with their own lives.

They leave the policing and disciplining of their child to the teacher, social worker and the authorities etc.

To be  in loco parentis is a very responsible and thankless task but can be easier with the active participation of the parent, guardian etc

Any means of protecting any child from the undesireable information available on the internet must and should be applauded/supported no matter how stringent. 

Bill1945

Give the People a Voice
Message 6 of 15

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I am not a parent nor a grandparent but I do have young godchildren who are fascinated with my phone. With their parents' permission, I tell them about the bad things that can happen on line and what to look out for, in a language they can understand. For some reason they think I'm cool and liaten to me in a way they don't listen to their parents.

I'm no expert, obviously, but I think that's the most important thing you can do is make children aware of the dangers that lurk online and what to look out for, like not giving out personal info or posting pics. And regularly checking what your kids are doing online without being invasive.

It's becoming more and more essential as children younger and younger are given mobile phones.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 7 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think the safety of our children is paramount.

It's a great move by O2 to team up with the NSPCC. We always monitored our grandsons activity on PC when he was here, as did his parents. My grandaughters mother works in IT and uses a lot of parental controls on devices they use.

Sadly in this day and age, this is becoming more and more difficult with unlimited access to social media.

Remember, our children and grandchildren have friends whose parents may not be as vigilant, so they will have access to restricted content via that route.

My daughter in law told me a story of two girls (under 11) who are at the school she teaches. They both had second phones unknown to their parents.

So whilst we all do what we can, I fear it just might not be enough....:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 15

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
How on earth did children that age get second phones? What sort of pocket money are they getting that they can afford to buy a second phone that the parents are unaware of?

That's a frightening tale. And I agree @Cleoriff no matter how much we do we can't make children 100% safe online.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 9 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

wrote:
How on earth did children that age get second phones? What sort of pocket money are they getting that they can afford to buy a second phone that the parents are unaware of?

That's a frightening tale. And I agree @Cleoriff no matter how much we do we can't make children 100% safe online.

You can get very cheap PAYG phones anywhere nowadays Glory. Tesco being one place. I don't know the full story as my daughter in law kept names out of it. I think one was bought by her sister and the other by her friends mother.

I think that's the tip of the iceberg if honest.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 15