Did you mean: 

Roam like at home goes live today!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

I have some fantastic news for those who are lucky enough to be off on their summer holidays soon! You can now use your phone abroad in our Europe Zone destinations as you would in the UK at no extra cost. Billed as the biggest EU regulatory change we have ever undertaken, you can travel to 47 European destinations without incurring roaming charges.

Your data, minutes and text allowances will work in O2’s Europe Zone destinations just like they do at home. If you go over your allowances you can add a data bolt on as you would in the UK and your minutes/texts will be charged at the standard domestic retail rate.

Check out the community roaming guides for contract and pay as you go

There's also some info on the O2 website here

Is anyone off on holiday soon and will be taking advantage of roaming?

What devices will you be roaming on? 

Will you be using roaming for work or a personal holiday? 

Let us know in the comments below slight_smile

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Has there been any confirmation from O2 yet if roaming has that stupid speed restriction after 50MB?

I called Vodafone to make sure my phone is set up for International Roaming as i'm off to Crete this Sunday and they said "have a good holiday.....have an extra 2GB data to use on us". Now THATS service....I didn't even have to ask!!

How is the roaming experience on Vodafone @Anonymous? It must be better than O2.... 

Good on them giving an extra 2Gb too 😉

Awesome @jonsie. Went to Turkey in September and Vodafone include them in their Euro travel bundle....PLUS no speed restrictions

Message 11 of 31

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Those budget airlines are exactly that @Wa10 but for a 4 hour flight they are just fine. I've travelled Monach and Ryan Air many times to Tenerifé with no problems. You do have to pay for food and drink but I always take my own. 

Message 12 of 31

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Anonymous I'll ask that for you. We're taking all questions and feedback and passing it on so I'll try to get an answer for you on that wink

@Wa10 That's not too bad. A couple of in-flight movies and you're there! Exploring the volcano sounds dangerous Smiley Surprised Is it still active? And more importantly will you get a good signal up there Smiley Very Happy

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 13 of 31

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

That's brilliant @Anonymous, it seems like the other main networks are doing things right for their customers. 

Message 14 of 31

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Haha, nicely brought back on topic there @Martin-O2 - I'll reserve judgement on whether I'll get a good signal until I've tried, but will report back. The volcanoes are classed as dormant/historic now, although I believe your can still feel the heat at the top of Timanfaya. Nice to bring a bit of exploration in along with the relaxation - when we went to Egypt we spent a couple of packed days doing the Pyramids and Valley of the Kings, but it was still nice to spend the rest of the time relaxing. 

Cheers @jonsie, glad they're not too awful an experience! Food and drink isn't too much of an issue  as we've got nice afternoon flight times, so can eat before we set off - may treat myself to a drink on board but that will be about it. Heading to Jamaica next year, so with such a long flight I think it will be well worth the investment in something a little bit more luxurious.

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 15 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fuerteventura ... been there twice early November ... = ... set me up for the whole of the winter at home, I suffer with lack of natural decent light in the winter months ... some black rock / sand in interior of island ... it was a trad jazz holiday, flew from Leeds / Bradford airport ... took my own food going as early flight ... coming back an afternoon flight so ate before boarding ... visit the camel park!

That day I used a plane + car + train to get home ... will do the ship another time

Can't think I'll do roaming ... but I'm interested to read about it on the O2 Community

Message 16 of 31

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Anonymous Great news! I can confirm that there will be no data speed restrictions when roaming, just like when your in the UK slight_smile

@Wa10 lol I'm a master at getting back on topic! wink You'll have to report back once you've reached the peak! 

signature

Message 17 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Martin-O2 wrote:

@Anonymous Great news! I can confirm that there will be no data speed restrictions when roaming, just like when your in the UK slight_smile

@Wa10 lol I'm a master at getting back on topic! wink You'll have to report back once you've reached the peak! 

Great to hear there are no speed restrictions

Message 18 of 31

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

Not what we are hearing from customers abroad this morning.

Is there something that O2 need to do or change on accounts that had the previously throttled O2 Travel enabled?

I ask out of interest to ensure customers get the best experience when abroad and not out of negativity.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 31

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I think people have been complaining more about data speeds before any throttling took effect? 

Message 20 of 31