Did you mean: 

O2 tests LiFi in new network trial

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

LiFi is a new technology that uses light instead of radio signals to transmit data wirelessly. In a new cutting edge trial partnership with pureLiFi O2 have installed pureLiFi’s LiFi-XC system in their Slough HQ in the ‘Explore Room’. The system contains 9 Li-Fi enabled LED lights that enables data to be transmitted from a LED light bulb and back at high speeds through adjustments in the bulb’s brightness. This provides high-speed, bi-directional and fully networked wireless communication of data! 

The potential applications of this technology include providing wireless connectivity in places where traditional wireless networks cause problems such as hospitals or on board aircraft and can provide higher data speeds whilst reducing infrastructure costs and energy consumption. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.23.10.png

Derek McManus, O2’s Chief Operations Officer, said: “At O2 we’re committed to building the best network possible for our customers, and a huge part of that is making sure we’re ahead of the pack in testing the latest technology."

Our LiFi trial shows how you can deliver high-speed connectivity to customers in new ways and is another example of how we’re future-proofing our network as we pave the way for 5G in the UK.

Alistair Banham, CEO of pureLiFi, said: “With the proliferation of internet-of-things devices and continued growth in mobile users, the demand for spectrum is under increasing pressure. LiFi is capable of unlocking unprecedented and much-needed data and bandwidth, and we are delighted that O2 has chosen to partner with pureLiFi to explore this tremendous potential. O2 is at the forefront of championing technologies to provide real solutions for 5G and beyond, and we look forward to working with them towards our common goal.

So, what do you think of the potential of LiFi technology? Is this something you would be interested in having at your home or business and can you see any potential issues with how it works? 

For further information on LiFi technology, please visit: https://purelifi.com/technology/

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 2 of 14

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Oh right. So basically a glorified version of your tv remote controller.

Lets see a few issues: grease, dust, smoke will certainly play a part in signal strength. And a power cut clown 

But the main problem I see it as an obstacle is the actual dongle you need which as we all know is prone to accidents so unless you get devices with inbuilt sensors with wide coverage pickup, its a relatively interesting but small market.

It will take some forward thinking for anyone to build this into their houses and businesses as the maintenance costs will be a factor in its uptake.  Not sure if I would put this in my house given that most rooms in my house have a single light bulb that doesn't get used during the day highlighting a small but significant flaw.....

Message 3 of 14

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Isn't this gonna cause epileptic fits?
Message 4 of 14

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Isn't this gonna cause epileptic fits?

Unless the light flickers at certain frequencies, then its the same risk as normal lighting (LED or other). If an LED is flickering then its another issue with power in most cases.

I'll add, I'm not a medical expert but there might be a study out there on the impact of LED lighting to epilepsy.

Message 6 of 14

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 7 of 14

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

My understanding is that the changes in brightness are so small the LED would just look like it's on to the human eye. I'm not sure if this would be an issue for those with epilepsy or not?

What do you guys think about the potential use in hospitals or other places where EM interference can be an issue?  

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 8 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

What do you guys think about the potential use in hospitals or other places where EM interference can be an issue?  

According to the article LiFi does NOT emit electromagnetic interference and therefore does not interfere with medical instrumentation or MRI scanners.

I can't see it happening though, as yet again you would need to review the cost and the disruprtion during installation.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 14

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Cleoriff Yes sorry that's what I meant. slight_smile This could be used in places where normal wifi systems cause problems or are not practical. 

signature

Message 10 of 14