O2 network coverage disruption UPDATE - 18/07/2012 14:35

Abs
O2 Social Media Team
O2 Social Media Team
  • 1014 Posts
  • 107 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Hi Everyone,

To say sorry for last week’s network issue, everyone who was directly affected will get the equivalent of 3 days back on their September bill or via their top-up.

To thank *all* our customers for supporting us through an unprecedented and difficult period, we are also giving everyone on O2 a £10 O2 voucher to spend in store.

More details on our blog post: http://blog.o2.co.uk/

Once again, apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks

Abs

Message 1 of 134
133 REPLIES 133

Anonymous
Not applicable
Abs - "we have tried our best to make it up for all our impacted customers"!!! please don't take us for fools. You have made a token gesture to people who couldn't make or receive calls of 10% of their bill - which presumably works out at £2-3. That is truly pathetic. But what makes it so much worse is that you then offer a PR bribe of £10 voucher to ALL your customers including many many people who weren't affected at all. Everyone knows thats just a way of getting more people instore where they will be able to buy grossly overpriced goods with their voucher - which they could get for 1/3 of the price online. If o2 hasnt got the decency to treat the affected customers fairly, at least dont rub salt in the wound by trying to turn the whole thing into a marketing exercise.
Message 71 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable
Jesus, listen to all this moaning! O2 are one of the best, if not THE best mobile providers in the UK. They rarely have an outage and when they do, they are straight on it. Turns out this time round, there were unforeseen circumstances that were unavoidable. Staff worked day and night to fix it, those effected are getting compensation, which is more than other networks would offer. Other providers have outage issues numerous times a month and don't offer compensation. After all, the whole network nationwide would need to be out for x amount of hours before compensation is granted but O2 pushed past that. The whole of the UK was not down, east sussex was fine, berkshire wasn't/ I live in berkshire and it was out, my son is disabled and I NEED my phone, it's not a luxury but a NEED and I am not complaining. more often or not, those moaning big time tend to be moaners in general wink O2 worked hard to sort this out, they could have said they were only compensating those that WERE ACTUALLY effected but they have gone a step further and doing an all rounder.
Message 72 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear O2 i am really unhappy with O2 because i am working at the university at davidcare building in queen's university and the signal is very very bad and this made to me many troubles for people who want to contact me and i contact you before about that and nothing happen!! secondly i have more than 4 pound in my balance i surprised today because when i check the balance it is zero now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so can you see what is the problem because i am really sad from 02 services my ####
Message 73 of 134

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@a123

You need to contact O2 direct as you won't get an answer on the forum. I have flagged your post to have your mobile number deleted as it's open to all kinds of abuse from unscrupulous people.

Message 74 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some observations on your comment! 1.How do you know the fault was unavoidable ?,I am awaiting Ronans findings in the weeks ahead if he indeed decides to share the details of the internal report one assumes is on the agenda big time down in Slough as to why,how,what we have learned etc with his "valued customers","the O2 way"! 2."Staff worked day and night to fix it",well yes!,with 8 million revenue streams at stake,negative publicity,Telefonicas share price down by 50% over the last 2 years,well the words vested interest come to mind! 3."Compensation",Oxford Dictionary,"something that makes up for an undesirable situation"!,please don't mention terms & conditions or comparisons to other networks,as the position is intellectually empty,"easy to do justice,very hard to do right",Winslow Boy,I highly recommend it! 4."East Sussex was fine",really,I hope I don't need to deal with that quote!?,you may not care or indeed have other options, ie landline phone at home,friends or family with working phones,or your plans or life during the fault were not effected or indeed its of little importance to you,all of which are fine,but don't set yourself up to be the judge and jury in some kind of kangaroo court for the other 8 million life's that you and I know nothing about! 5."Those moaning big time" and "I'm not complaining",we ALL are different people and I'm sure there are issues in life that you would deem as important that would be of little concern to me and that's applicable to everyone,what did you expect to read on a site with the heading "O2 network coverage disruption"? 6."Worked hard to sort it out",well yes!,like you and I work hard to pay for our tariffs you mean,otherwise read answer 2 again in order to clarify! 7."Step further,doing an all-rounder",Yes,lets see now,they boost turnover by millions of people buying products that they may not have thought of or were not planning to purchase, take a £10 hit in their profit margin and you not only pay for your own so called compensation but increase their profits and help them off load products before the Christmas peak period,so why don't you ask Ronan around about the end of November to share with you/us all the total spend of the vouchers in association with the price and profit margin in said product which will give you their total gross profit,deduct the cost of fixing the problem and the churn rate increase in the months ahead as peoples contracts allow them to walk!,and after its all said and done O2 could actually increase their bottom-line due to them not delivering,hey it's an upside down world we're in I think! Thanks,bye Ps I may be wrong on this point,but they have also arbitrarily restricted the voucher download period to a month,totally unnecessarily,I can only assume to have some control over when the majority of vouchers will be used!?All of which is totally avoidable if they wished it!
Message 75 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable
@gerald As a PTSD sufferer who also has a disabled son, it is vital that I have a mobile phone with sufficient coverage. I live in berkshire and went 24hrs without network coverage, at the time my home line had not been installed, I ended up having to grin and bare it. I was then enroute to east sussex for a long and over due holiday to take my son away, I was extremely worried as I still had no coverage but as soon as I hit the motor just outside of heathrow, my coverage was fine and it stayed that way in east sussex too. T&C's stat that a day's rental can be reimbursed, that is an overall thing with any contract, so in theory O2 could have just given say 50p back wink It was an unforeseen circumstance, when a piece of equipment is stolen and it effects network coverage, that is not O2's fault. You think ranting and raving is going to get you what you want? Highly doubt it. As a long standing O2 customer, I can happily say O2 is the best about and that's coming from someone who has used virgin, orange and tmobile with no happy outcome.
Message 76 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks,your personal situation and how you choose to respond or not to the fault is covered in my post! Please feel free to deal with the points raised in my post in detail,and correct me where factually incorrect! Thanks-very-much!
Message 77 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable
Such emotive words "ranting and raving",obviously we have a different understanding of their use!
Message 78 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting fed up hearing all the whingers on here. I've been with O2 since 2000 (when it was BT Cellnet). And in all that time I can count on one hand the amount of outages, the outages have been mostly hours long (apart from this latest one).

People are living with their heads in the sand if they think the same thing could not happen with other mobile providers, even landline telephones can have outages, its impossible to have any network either mobile or landline that will be 100 percent outage free 100 percent of the time.

The facts are, O2 are not obliged to offer you any compensation, but they have, yeah you've got to use the voucher in their stores and its only a few pounds off your bill in September, but if your not satisfied, stop whinging and speak with your wallets, purses and go elsewhere.

For the people who have sick relatives etc or have a business that's relient on a mobile phone network. In these cicumastances, its upto YOU to have more that one contact number, incase one network has an outage, a bit of a hassle admittedly but this would have stopped the problem of been unable to reach them with O2's outage. If their wellbeing is that important, then a bit of fore thought to ask a neighbour if its ok to use their landline number for a contact number, incase the mobile network is down, or failing that having a second pay & go mobile phone on a different mobile network.

Like I said if their wellbeing is that important and if its VITALLY important that you are able to contact them and they can contact you, then its up to people to take the responsaiblity themselves to prevent the worry. A bit of fore thought would have prevented the worry, but people would rather blame someone else, rather than accept that they should have used a bit of fore thought to arrange for additional telephone numbers to be reached on, but society as it mostly is now wants to blame someone else.

Message 79 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable
"O2 network coverage disruption"!,may I suggest a site such as "All the best points about O2",as you'll be less likely to read people making their points/expressing their views/opinions about events that they feel strongly about, or as you rather incorrectly state "whingers"! Thanks
Message 80 of 134