Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 launches Visual Voicemail on Google Pixel 3 and 3 XL

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi everyone, I hope you're having a good day so far!

Good news for those who have wished for Visual Voicemail for Android - it has officially launched today. See our press release below. thumbsup

Visual Voicemail is making its way to more phones of O2 customers today as it becomes the only UK operator to offer Visual Voicemail on Android devices.

The offer will initially launch on the Google Pixel 3 and 3 XL, with plans to roll out across other vendors, including Samsung and Sony early next year.

Available for O2 Pay Monthly customers, Visual Voicemail is the most user-friendly way to easily and quickly check and select specific voicemail messages without the need to dial 901 to retrieve. In addition, Visual Voicemail displays useful details, such as the name or number of the person leaving the voicemail, as well as the date, time and length of the message.

Currently only available in a similar format on iPhone and Windows Phones, this move from O2 showcases the network operator’s desire to offer the best experience to its customers, regardless of the phone they use.

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 10.08.14.png

Magnus McDonald, Director of Product and Category Management at O2 said:“We are constantly looking at how we can improve the customer experience when using any of our services. We were the first to offer Visual Voicemail on the iPhone and then again on Windows phones and it has always been a hugely popular offer. We know that our customers have been hoping to have Visual Voicemail on their Android devices and we’re delighted to be the first network operator to be able to offer this.”

The new Visual Voicemail upgrade can be enabled by installing a new version of the Phone app, available via the Google Play Store.

For more information on the launch of Visual Voicemail on O2, visit:http://o2.uk/VisualVoicemail

FAQs for visual voicemail on android can be found in the below spolier. 

More info

Q - How do I find out which Android devices are eligible for Visual Voicemail?

A - You can find out more information on Visual Voicemail and the supporting devices here - https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices?page=topic/voicemail/visual-voicemail/device

Q – How do I get Visual Voicemail?

A – Starting from the 2nd December, Google are releasing a new version of their Phone app with Visual Voicemail switched on for O2.  If you have a supporting device, the Phone app will update automatically if Auto-update is switched on.  If not, search for the Phone app (by Google LLC) in the Play Store and check that at least version 42 is available (Visual Voicemail will be switched on in Version 42).

Q – It’s later than the 2nd December, but I haven’t received the new version of the Phone app?

A – Google are releasing the new version of the Phone app in phases, with it only being available for a small amount of users initially from the 25thNovember, increasing to 100% of users in early December.  If you really don’t want to wait, you can force the update by going into the specific Phone app page on the Play Store.

Q - What Consumer Tariffs can I get VVM on?

A - VVM can be used on any Pay Monthly or SIM Only consumer tariffs.

Q - What Business Tariffs can I get VVM on?      

A - VVM can be used on any Pay Monthly or SIM Only business tariffs.

Q - What is a Corporate APN and why can't I get VVM when using one? 

A - A corporate APN is a type of data connection used by business customers for their employees to use on their device.  VVM can only be used when using the standard O2 mobile data connection (mobile.o2.co.uk) for Android devices.

Q – If I move a SIM from an iPhone to one of the VVM devices, will VVM work?

A – Customers will need to make sure that they have a mobile data connection for Android devices rather than for iPhones, so will need to get in touch with O2 to swap over to a data connection for Android devices.

Q - Can I use VVM over Wi-Fi?

A - No, VVM will only work over a mobile data connection.

Q - Can I get VVM on Pay As You Go?

A - No, VVM isn’t available for Pay As You Go customers.  The Phone app knows that you’re using a Pay As You Go SIM and will hide the Visual Voicemail settings, so it won’t be visible as an option.

Q – Can I get VVM on Tesco Mobile or giffgaff?

A - No, VVM isn’t available for Tesco or giffgaff customers.  The Phone app knows that you’re using one of those SIMs and will hide the Visual Voicemail settings, so it won’t be visible.

Q – I got my Android device from Carphone Warehouse/Mobile Phones Direct etc, can I use VVM?

A - Yes they can.  VVM will be available on some devices that haven’t been sold directly through O2 (e.g. Pixel 4).  Indirect customers can use VVM as long as they have a device that uses Google’s Phone app and they have a Pay Monthly or Business tariff. 

Q – Do I have to pay to use VVM?

A – No, VVM is a free service.  All text messages that are sent to the Voicemail platform to turn VVM on/off aren’t charged.

Q – When will Visual Voicemail be available on more Android devices, like Samsung?

A – We are currently working with our other Android device vendors to bring Visual Voicemail to their devices as soon as possible.    

Q - I have updated the Phone app, but can’t see Visual Voicemail in the settings – why isn’t it working?

A - On first updating to the version of the Phone app with VVM, it may be that the VVM settings don’t appear straight away.  To start using VVM straight away, powering the device off and on will display the VVM options.

You can check by opening the Phone app, selecting the 3 vertical dots in the top right corner of the screen, then choose Settings and then Voicemail.  If VVM isn't displayed, we've found that restarting your device should make the settings appear.  Otherwise we've seen the Settings appear if you wait for anything up to 24 hours.

Q - I’m in an area where I don’t have any mobile data coverage, and the Phone app is displaying an error message for Visual Voicemail - how can I get my voicemails?

A - In the case of being in poor mobile data coverage or if mobile data is disabled, you can still dial 901 to access voicemail.

Q – VVM isn’t working, what can I do?

A – You can still call 901 to access voicemail.  However, there are a few things that you can check to try to get VVM working:

– Do you have a device that can use VVM?

– Are you an O2 Pay Monthly or Business customer?

– Make sure that your tariff is set up for using an Android device (and not an iPhone)

– Check that mobile data on your device is working - can you browse the internet and use other apps?

– Can you see Visual Voicemail displayed in the Settings? If you can, try turning it on.  If not, try powering the device off and on.

– If it’s still not working, get in touch with O2.

Q – I have updated to v42 on my Sony Xperia 5 device and see the following warning, what do I do?

Sony Xperia VVM.png

A – You will not be charged. Select remember my choice and press send.  VVM will be enabled.

Q – I have updated to v42 on my Nokia/Motorola device and see the following warning, what do I do?

Nolika:MotoVVM.png

A – You will not be charged. Select remember my choice and press send.  VVM will be enabled.

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

dtanner
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi - took me a while to get back around to looking at this with the world ending and all - I can't see a number ending in 4005 on that list? 

In fact I can't see any contact numbers or anything about how to get this turned off anywhere, any help is appreciated, I just need to know what number to call. 

I'm still getting this show up on my bills despite not having any Voicemail notifications for the last 3 months?

Message 21 of 27

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@dtanner 

We were asked to remove the number ending in 4005 as it was working too well I think. Apparently it went through to the wrong dept....

All numbers are as per these guides now

Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 27

dtanner
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you! I'm trying the live chat now, lets see how that goes.

Message 23 of 27

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Best of luck @dtanner thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 27

dtanner
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK I've been chatting with the live chat team (who I will say, are always pretty good despite frustratingly not being able to help so no shade to them) and this is very frustrating but recording here for anyone else who has this issue.

Our only option is to have your voicemail turned off completely. You can either have no voice mail at all, or have to pay £4.99 per day if you are travelling outside of the EU just to have these annoying messages sent to/from your phone that you don't see, request, or need.

Bless them they have tried to give me the info about the travel bolt on not being triggered until you send a text or use data, but don't seem to understand that these messages are triggering the travel bolt on and therefore costing us money when we travel. I have my phone turned off for the most part if I am out of the EU so don't want a £5 a day charge for a service I'm not using (and can't afford!) so this is endlessly frustrating, but really when is the last time anyone left a voicemail? Never. Its 2020. 

Hope thats helpful for anyone else who is stuck with this annoying bug or whatever.

Message 25 of 27

loz123
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

has anyone managed to stop this 2 years later and it is still happening i went overseas and charged for these texts to 9017. i spoke with 02 who said thy couldnt see them and that i should text stop to 9017. I never agreed to this. also a pixel phone and have been on going since i recieved the pixel phone. 

Message 26 of 27

konrad1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

it's May 2023 and I have been charged every single day for this, even though I had my both roaming and mobile data off, just in case. 2 mobiles, 2 weeks, bad bill. also pixel phone

Message 27 of 27