Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 launches Visual Voicemail on Google Pixel 3 and 3 XL

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi everyone, I hope you're having a good day so far!

Good news for those who have wished for Visual Voicemail for Android - it has officially launched today. See our press release below. thumbsup

Visual Voicemail is making its way to more phones of O2 customers today as it becomes the only UK operator to offer Visual Voicemail on Android devices.

The offer will initially launch on the Google Pixel 3 and 3 XL, with plans to roll out across other vendors, including Samsung and Sony early next year.

Available for O2 Pay Monthly customers, Visual Voicemail is the most user-friendly way to easily and quickly check and select specific voicemail messages without the need to dial 901 to retrieve. In addition, Visual Voicemail displays useful details, such as the name or number of the person leaving the voicemail, as well as the date, time and length of the message.

Currently only available in a similar format on iPhone and Windows Phones, this move from O2 showcases the network operator’s desire to offer the best experience to its customers, regardless of the phone they use.

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 10.08.14.png

Magnus McDonald, Director of Product and Category Management at O2 said:“We are constantly looking at how we can improve the customer experience when using any of our services. We were the first to offer Visual Voicemail on the iPhone and then again on Windows phones and it has always been a hugely popular offer. We know that our customers have been hoping to have Visual Voicemail on their Android devices and we’re delighted to be the first network operator to be able to offer this.”

The new Visual Voicemail upgrade can be enabled by installing a new version of the Phone app, available via the Google Play Store.

For more information on the launch of Visual Voicemail on O2, visit:http://o2.uk/VisualVoicemail

FAQs for visual voicemail on android can be found in the below spolier. 

More info

Q - How do I find out which Android devices are eligible for Visual Voicemail?

A - You can find out more information on Visual Voicemail and the supporting devices here - https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices?page=topic/voicemail/visual-voicemail/device

Q – How do I get Visual Voicemail?

A – Starting from the 2nd December, Google are releasing a new version of their Phone app with Visual Voicemail switched on for O2.  If you have a supporting device, the Phone app will update automatically if Auto-update is switched on.  If not, search for the Phone app (by Google LLC) in the Play Store and check that at least version 42 is available (Visual Voicemail will be switched on in Version 42).

Q – It’s later than the 2nd December, but I haven’t received the new version of the Phone app?

A – Google are releasing the new version of the Phone app in phases, with it only being available for a small amount of users initially from the 25thNovember, increasing to 100% of users in early December.  If you really don’t want to wait, you can force the update by going into the specific Phone app page on the Play Store.

Q - What Consumer Tariffs can I get VVM on?

A - VVM can be used on any Pay Monthly or SIM Only consumer tariffs.

Q - What Business Tariffs can I get VVM on?      

A - VVM can be used on any Pay Monthly or SIM Only business tariffs.

Q - What is a Corporate APN and why can't I get VVM when using one? 

A - A corporate APN is a type of data connection used by business customers for their employees to use on their device.  VVM can only be used when using the standard O2 mobile data connection (mobile.o2.co.uk) for Android devices.

Q – If I move a SIM from an iPhone to one of the VVM devices, will VVM work?

A – Customers will need to make sure that they have a mobile data connection for Android devices rather than for iPhones, so will need to get in touch with O2 to swap over to a data connection for Android devices.

Q - Can I use VVM over Wi-Fi?

A - No, VVM will only work over a mobile data connection.

Q - Can I get VVM on Pay As You Go?

A - No, VVM isn’t available for Pay As You Go customers.  The Phone app knows that you’re using a Pay As You Go SIM and will hide the Visual Voicemail settings, so it won’t be visible as an option.

Q – Can I get VVM on Tesco Mobile or giffgaff?

A - No, VVM isn’t available for Tesco or giffgaff customers.  The Phone app knows that you’re using one of those SIMs and will hide the Visual Voicemail settings, so it won’t be visible.

Q – I got my Android device from Carphone Warehouse/Mobile Phones Direct etc, can I use VVM?

A - Yes they can.  VVM will be available on some devices that haven’t been sold directly through O2 (e.g. Pixel 4).  Indirect customers can use VVM as long as they have a device that uses Google’s Phone app and they have a Pay Monthly or Business tariff. 

Q – Do I have to pay to use VVM?

A – No, VVM is a free service.  All text messages that are sent to the Voicemail platform to turn VVM on/off aren’t charged.

Q – When will Visual Voicemail be available on more Android devices, like Samsung?

A – We are currently working with our other Android device vendors to bring Visual Voicemail to their devices as soon as possible.    

Q - I have updated the Phone app, but can’t see Visual Voicemail in the settings – why isn’t it working?

A - On first updating to the version of the Phone app with VVM, it may be that the VVM settings don’t appear straight away.  To start using VVM straight away, powering the device off and on will display the VVM options.

You can check by opening the Phone app, selecting the 3 vertical dots in the top right corner of the screen, then choose Settings and then Voicemail.  If VVM isn't displayed, we've found that restarting your device should make the settings appear.  Otherwise we've seen the Settings appear if you wait for anything up to 24 hours.

Q - I’m in an area where I don’t have any mobile data coverage, and the Phone app is displaying an error message for Visual Voicemail - how can I get my voicemails?

A - In the case of being in poor mobile data coverage or if mobile data is disabled, you can still dial 901 to access voicemail.

Q – VVM isn’t working, what can I do?

A – You can still call 901 to access voicemail.  However, there are a few things that you can check to try to get VVM working:

– Do you have a device that can use VVM?

– Are you an O2 Pay Monthly or Business customer?

– Make sure that your tariff is set up for using an Android device (and not an iPhone)

– Check that mobile data on your device is working - can you browse the internet and use other apps?

– Can you see Visual Voicemail displayed in the Settings? If you can, try turning it on.  If not, try powering the device off and on.

– If it’s still not working, get in touch with O2.

Q – I have updated to v42 on my Sony Xperia 5 device and see the following warning, what do I do?

Sony Xperia VVM.png

A – You will not be charged. Select remember my choice and press send.  VVM will be enabled.

Q – I have updated to v42 on my Nokia/Motorola device and see the following warning, what do I do?

Nolika:MotoVVM.png

A – You will not be charged. Select remember my choice and press send.  VVM will be enabled.

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Good news @Martin-O2  wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 27

BOSSGOGG
Level 8: Talented
  • 384 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Brilliant.
unnamed
Message 3 of 27

SamsungFanBoy
Level 13: Prompter
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
It needs to come to the Samsung Galaxy S10. Maybe it will be on the S11? slight_smile
Message 4 of 27

BOSSGOGG
Level 8: Talented
  • 384 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
@Martin-O2 any news on rolling this out to other devices?
unnamed
Message 5 of 27

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Not heard anything yet @BOSSGOGG but I'll have a chat with the team to see if there is any update on the roll out. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 6 of 27

Andrey
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It looks like the Visual Voicemail service is not free while roaming. I got charged for texts to 9017 while I was abroad (triggering O2 Travel where available, or as individual texts otherwise) even though the FAQ on this page says that it's free. Is this expected or is this an issue with the voicemail platform?

Regards,

Andrey

Message 7 of 27

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Andrey wrote:

It looks like the Visual Voicemail service is not free while roaming. I got charged for texts to 9017 while I was abroad (triggering O2 Travel where available, or as individual texts otherwise) even though the FAQ on this page says that it's free. Is this expected or is this an issue with the voicemail platform?

Regards,

Andrey

Any calls to voicemail of any kind are chargeable when abroad and outside of the EU.

Voicemail is only free in the UK. @Andrey 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 27

Andrey
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 I was not checking voicemail though or calling any voicemail numbers. I only found out about those texts when I saw my bill - my phone was sending daily texts to 9017, including when I was abroad. Are these texts supposed to be sent out all the time like that, or is that also some bug?

Message 9 of 27

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Andrey 

Your phone will text that number to register on each new network you connect to for VVM.

The texts are sent silently and are not chargeable on your home network.

Image result for o2 texts to 9017"

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 27