cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 delivers first mobile internet connection to Staylittle!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

I have a great bit of news from rural Wales out in the small town of Staylittle, in Powys. O2 has installed the first permanent 4G mobile mast in Staylittle, bringing mobile connectivity to a rural community that was completely cut off from all communications just over 18 months ago! 

staylittle-123.jpg

In the Summer of 2015, Staylittle experienced a total communication black-out, leaving the village completely cut off from the outside world for nearly two weeks. With the nearest town located approximately eight miles away, Staylittle residents relied on one working landline in the local Post Office to keep in touch with family, friends and customers.

staylittle-113.jpg

Residents were forced to stay indoors to make and receive phone calls and had to resort to expensive, patchy satellite home internet to get online. In response, O2 installed a temporary 2G mobile mast in the village in 2015, bringing mobile connectivity which enabled voice calls and texts in Staylittle for the first time.

staylittle-18.jpg

Since then O2 has worked tirelessly, in collaboration with local authorities, to install a permanent 4G mobile mast. The new mobile mast now provides full 3G and 4G coverage to the entire village, enabling villagers to connect to the Internet and make calls from wherever they are in the area. The installation represents part of O2’s on-going commitment to providing mobile connectivity across the UK.

staylittle-60.jpg

Beyond Staylittle, almost 400 more Welsh villages are set to benefit from O2’s commitment to improving rural network coverage from now until the end of the year. O2 invests over £2 million every day to develop its network across the UK and its 4G network now covers 96.8 per cent of the UK population outdoors.

More info here

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Well done o2.
Now, about those other black spots wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

There's a lot of investment @MI5 so hopefully they wont be around for too much longer. 

Great to see these folks getting connected though. Can't imagine being without Internet for 18 months! 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 3 of 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Can we have the mast upgraded at North Manchester General Hospital where coverage is zilch? 

Message 4 of 6

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Same @Martin-O2 I struggle now with only standard broadband available where I live, couldn't imagine not having internet at all
Message 5 of 6

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@jonsie I'm sure it's on the list wink

@PhoneChanger It must have been a nightmare for them. I very lucky where I live and get superfast broadband so would really struggle with slow speeds let alone nothing! 

signature

Message 6 of 6