Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Recycle hits the big £100m!

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hi all, we've got some fantastic news to share today.

Since launching in 2009 as a way for UK consumers (not just O2 customers!) to recycle their old tech & gadgets in an environmentally friendly way, O2 Recycle as part of the O2 Think Big initiative has given over £100million back to customers in cash.

Electronics are the fastest growing waste stream in the world as devices are often discarded before they are unrepairable or technically outdated. O2 Recycle repurposes nine out of ten gadgets by extending the functional life of them to cut down their environmental impact. For every additional year of use, a phone’s carbon footprint is reduced by nearly 30%, meaning that it becomes more environmentally efficient. By avoiding the need to produce another phone, the greenhouse gas emissions associated with it are reduced.

Some of the O2 Recycle facts & figures:

• 4 million devices repurposed through O2 Recycle to date
    • If we stacked all recycled devices on top of one another, it'd be 135 miles high - the same distance to space and back!
    • 142,000kg of waste has been removed from landfil through this recycling - the equivalent of 12 London Routemaster buses
    • Apple iPhones were the most recycled gadget in 2014

Here's some regional stats showing the most environmentally friendly cities, according to number of digital devices recycled through O2 stores:

Region/City

Number of O2 customers recycling a device

Bristol

1 in every 82

Sheffield

1 in 108

Glasgow

1 in 114

Birmingham

1 in 114

Newcastle

1 in 115

Manchester

1 in 124

Leeds

1 in 125

Liverpool

1 in 135

Edinburgh

1 in 139

N. Ireland

1 in 150

London

1 in 155

There are still many more devices which could be recycled. Green Alliance currently estimates that in the UK alone there are around 76 million phones left unused around people’s homes, worth an estimated £3billion.  To encourage more people to recycle, O2 Recycle customers are currently being offered 10% more for their old and unused digital devices, through O2 Priority.

If you've got an old and unused device laying around, you're part of that 76 million figure - why not recycle it through O2 Recycle and get some cash back in return as well as being more environmentally friendly.

Ready to recycle? We accept mobiles, tablets, MP3 players, sat navs, handheld consoles, digital cameras and wearable tech.

Go recycle today > https://www.o2recycle.co.uk/

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

This is good news @Chris_K 

We had a recent thread that O2 recycle was about to be taken over by Redeem. Is that still happening?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 10

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

This is good news @Chris_K 

We had a recent thread that O2 recycle was about to be taken over by Redeem. Is that still happening?

O2 Recycle has always been powered through Redeem 🙂

If you've got any Q's about recycle, how it works or any concerns please let me know and i'll either do my best to answer and if I don't know, i'll find out for you.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 3 of 10

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
To be honest, feedback from users of the service on here puts me off ever using O2 recycle, i thought redeem was new and would hopefully bring change to the common problems which sometimes border on fraud.
Message 4 of 10

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Guess I'm one of the millionfold who have devices in a drawer doing nothing but the recycle price offered through Redeem when I have checked have been bordering on the insulting. Throw into the mix of the possibility (probability) of a lower offer once the phone is with them, it makes me very loathe to use them.

No doubt they have many very satisfied customers and who knows, one day I may be one of them.

Message 5 of 10

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
He got a point, just checked £160 for xperia z3
Obviously reduced to £25 on inspection due to water damage in a waterproof phone or the screen damage that happened magically.
Message 6 of 10

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Cex £280.
Says it all really.
Message 8 of 10

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 9 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Chris_K wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

O2 Recycle has always been powered through Redeem 🙂

It was this article I referred to.... published in October of last year wink

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/news/industry/31197/exclusive-redeem-clinches-12m-o2-recycle-contract.a...

The headline did lead people to think they were taking them over. When you read further on however, it says they have provided the service since 2009 .....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 10