Did you mean: 

O2 Network Issues - 6th December 2018

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Good morning all, 

We are aware our customers are unable to use data this morning.

Our technical teams are working on the issue with high priority. We are really sorry and working as hard and as fast as we can to fix this.

Please keep an eye on our status checker: http://o2.uk/ServiceStatus 

Latest Update:

Our 3G and 4G data services are performing as normal. Our technical teams are continuing to monitor service performance closely. We will be updating our customers later today on how we will make yesterday’s data service issue up to them and we’d once again like to thank our customers for their patience. 

A small proportion of customers have reported issues sending text messages. We can see that the vast majority are being sent and received successfully and our technical teams are investigating. Our 3G and 4G data services are performing as normal.

We are finalising how we make it up to our customers and will be contacting them later today about this. 

The Facebook mention around us giving out £75 compensation isn't correct and didn't come from us.

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 715
714 REPLIES 714

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

Divide your monthly cost by 31, then 24, then multiply by 5 to work out the 50p you're due wink

Message 101 of 715

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@DoctorO wrote:

It is not just data but voice and text messages. I would like to know the level of compensation to be given. I would suggest 1 month's fees for each hour that service has not been available. So far it has been just short of 5 hours!

@DoctorO: default is zero. You can try but it will be multiple of zero. 

Message 102 of 715

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
For anyone looking for compensation:
Once this has all been fixed, contact 202 and ask to be refunded for the downtime.
As it stands, the basic monthly charge is £7 deducting the inclusive data and minutes (as these are still available in full as you didn't lose any) and by splitting that down into 31 day units gives us 22p.
However, as the network has been down for only a few hours (let's estimate at 6) I'm sure customer services will be more than happy to refund the 3.7p that is the airtime cost for this period. If you're really nice, they might just found it up to 4 or even 5 pence.
Message 103 of 715

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Or just try for a little patience. Coming on here and slagging off OTHER CUSTOMERS when they are simply trying to help does no-one any good whatsoever....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 104 of 715

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions
The issue is a global fault with Ericsson software.
Message 105 of 715

AngieStone50
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Cant check the status checker. No Internet since early hours? I cant even use my phone to contact O2? any idea when things will be sorted as this is causing problems for my day.

Message 106 of 715

DoctorO
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Wow, thanks for that. I had no intention of mathematically calculating what they might owe me. I will pursue a blanket amount for lack of service; it will be including a contractual investigation and terms of breach.

Message 107 of 715

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

@sheepdog wrote:

Indeed there is a clause in the T&C's stating coverage is not always guaranteed. The usual response of "I can't get in contact with x" or "I reckon I've lost an unquantifiable amount of money in this exact period..."  and "sort it out....or I'm off to another network unless I get compensation" is understandably annoying but it does make you think on what your backup plans are and what you need to do to mitigate it next time. 

BTW as a possible solution you can get a free SIP (VOIP) landline number and with a suitable app, just pay for outgoing calls as and when you use it (no line rental). That works over wifi or data so on one hand, if you have access to wifi, you'll be able to make contact with someone or vice versa. Same with dual sim phones, spare phones etc, the solutions are there with a little research and in all honesty, its not expensive especially as most people have old phones in drawers. 

Yes, I have data issues this morning but I have a backup SIP number, a landline number plus a PAYG sim on another network since I work from home and the nearest office is 60+ miles away. And if you think thats excessive, I also have 3x ways of accessing the internet (4G & landline). As experience has shown, being overprepared is better than being hit by that other unforseen event: a long powercut!

I totally agree with this @sheepdog ~ if difficulties arise a person should have put into place "an emergency plan"  if needed.  I can't go around expecting all to be constantly working without problems etc.  I have made contingency plans.  I live near facilities which I use should it be necessary and have contacts who will help with any problems. If I go anywhere in my car (for instance) should I break down in the country or town, I keep a note of a company who can pick me and the car up and take me home.  (Years ago got stuck and had to walk to nearest house for help ~ as no mobile phones then).  My internet went down (BT maintain the infrastructure) their connections were broken in their box somewhere, not my ISP these things happen ~ I used the

internet at the Library for the time it took to be repaired.  I also have a mobile on PAYGO with another network used by other members of family which can be shared and I also still have a land-line.  However, the more we rely on a smaller/personal contact system the more difficult individual events will become, however a little thought about safety and contact in an emergency would be a very wise thing to do.  Hope all goes well soon.  Kindest regards TallTrees

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 108 of 715

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

For everyone asking about compensation and contractual obligations, the entire T&C's are here: https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions. Select as appropriate.

From 2.2 on the pay montly one regarding faults:

2.2 The Service isn't fault-free; a range of different geographic, atmospheric or other conditions or circumstances beyond our control can impair it. For instance, coverage is affected by things like the thickness or material of the walls of the building you're in. It might also depend on how many people near you are trying to use the Service at the same time. For more information about the things that affect coverage and data speeds, please look at the dedicated Network pages of our Website at o2.co.uk/network. You're entitled to the quality of service generally given by a competent mobile telecommunications service provider, using its reasonable skill and care. We will attempt to re-perform disrupted Services when possible. We may direct and manage traffic on our Network as is required to deliver this quality of service, including in some circumstances directing traffic onto different components of our Network such as 3G, 4G and wifi. You can disable wifi in the settings on your Mobile Phone or possibly other Equipment if you do not wish to use that part of our Network. We may also carry out upgrades, repairs and maintenance works to our Network from time to time. Sometimes technical issues, impaired quality of service or outages on our Network can occur. If something goes wrong, we'll try to fix it quickly.

Message 109 of 715

morgan
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I can send a message and the other person gets it, but then i get a message saying its failed, I am on same network as daughter, same phone everything and hers is ok is this cos of problem they having, it was fine last night and nothing been done to phone 

Message 110 of 715