cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 4G is 1!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone,

Wow, the last 12 months since we released our O2 4G have gone so fast!

It’s a year since we switched on 4G, since that day we have launched 4G in over 240 towns and cities across the UK from North of Scotland to sunny Bournemouth and then across the Irish Sea to Lisburn and Belfast!

Some of the stats for 4G are incredible, here are some of the headline figures;

- Almost a fifth of all mobile data used by O2 customers is on 4G

- The data equivalent of eight million hours’ worth of HD video has been used over O2 4G in the last twelve months

- More than double the amount of customers have taken up O2 4G in the first year on O2 compared the first year of O2 3G

- A total of 5,400 Terabytes of 4G data has been carried since launch

We know that whilst this is all fantastic, there’s a lot more that’s to come and many places that are still to come, that being said customers with a 4G ready device will be able to take advantage of O2 4G today in Uckfield and Southend for the very first time!

We are currently going through our largest ever network modernisation programme, that includes 2G, 3G and 4G.

Here’s some more information from some of our recent network launches-

http://news.o2.co.uk/2014/08/19/our-newest-4g-areas-uncovered/

Here’s what Derek McManus COO of Telefonica UK has said-

We have spent the past year rolling out our 4G network so we can connect customers to the products and services they are passionate about in today’s digital age. It’s been the fastest build of any new network in our history – just one year after launching 3G we had reached 16% of the UK population and, in the same timeframe, we already reach over 45% of the UK population with 4G.

“Our £1.5 billion investment in our network over the next three years will mean we will help the UK to become a truly connected nation. As well as continuing to bring 4G to even more places, we are upgrading our 2G and 3G services until we cover 98% of the UK population indoors by 2017.”

More details on 4G being 1 year old can be found here http://news.o2.co.uk/?press-release=o2-4g-carries-the-equivalent-of-eight-million-hours-of-hd-video-...

With all this being said, we want to know what you guys think, how have you found O2 4G so far? What devices are you using 4G on?

Let us know what you think, we’d like to hear your thoughts!

Thanks

Brad

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

Exciting times ahead I agree.

I usually get 50mbps and am fortunate to be in a city with strong overall coverage.

However some have said their initial 4G speeds have dipped.

Lots are saying that they are suffering from loss of signal which has been attributed to Mast Congestion.

This is one of the most recent answers given to people advising loss of coverage even when the masts are showing good.

To date nothing official from O2 has been released in connection to this theory.

One gripe is the lack of forthcoming lists of cities to get 4G.

Is their a reason why O2 won't give this information out ?

Edit : I use the iPhone 5s.

Can you comment ?
Message 2 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
How long before you fix all the 3G issues nationwide please?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

Hi Brad,

I live in Scotland and travel extensively. To the best of my knowledge O2 4G isn't available outside of Glasgow/Edinburgh/M8 corridor.

I've just checked the coverage checker, and it confirms that there is no 4G in Perth, Dundee, Inverness or Aberdeen, so where exactly does 4G cover in the "North of Scotland"?

Also, I note that you're now saying 2017 for completion, when previously it's been stated that the aim was to complete by the end of 2015, although admittedly the deadline is 2017.

Cheers

ewan

Message 4 of 13

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I'm seriously underwhelmed with this. Nothing in my area and masts have now been out 4 times in the last 3 months. Currently down still!

Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi @Anonymous

Exciting times ahead I agree.

I usually get 50mbps and am fortunate to be in a city with strong overall coverage.

However some have said their initial 4G speeds have dipped.

Lots are saying that they are suffering from loss of signal which has been attributed to Mast Congestion.

This is one of the most recent answers given to people advising loss of coverage even when the masts are showing good.

To date nothing official from O2 has been released in connection to this theory.

One gripe is the lack of forthcoming lists of cities to get 4G.

Is their a reason why O2 won't give this information out ?

Edit : I use the iPhone 5s.

Can you comment ?

Hey bandofbrothers,

We update all our customers when we launch 4G in their areas, although getting your point about a list, this is something that has been asked before do we'll see what we can do. 

It is coming to 98% of the UK population so that would be some list wink

Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
How long before you fix all the 3G issues nationwide please?

Hey MI5,

hope you're good. 

We're in the middle of our largest ever newtork infrastructure upgrade, so things will be improving with this. If you have any specific issues by all means let Toby know so we can have a look slight_smile

Brad

Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

I'm seriously underwhelmed with this. Nothing in my area and masts have now been out 4 times in the last 3 months. Currently down still!

Wow jonsie, very poor on our part, not knowing the specifics i can't really comment and as you know some things happen outside of our control, others can be down to making improvements, but happy to have a look, fire your details Tobys way and we'll check out what's been going on for you.

Brad

Message 8 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
by all means let Toby know so we can have a look slight_smile

Brad

I have been doing that since October 2013 for CV11 4 postcode and now CV5 9 and Le10 3 are both suffering the same congestion (full H+ signal showing and no data transfer)....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had 4g since day 1 and can say it's gone dramatically downhill much slower speeds then there was when it first started
Message 10 of 13