cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News about O2’s Home Broadband and Home Phone Service

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

We have reached agreement with Sky for them to acquire our consumer Home Broadband and Home Phone business.

For more information on what this means, read more here: http://o2lin.kr/Z1CRJT

If you’d like to read our press release, it’s here: http://o2lin.kr/Z1zF10

O2 Social Media Team

Message 1 of 379
378 REPLIES 378

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
However, we'll be on the same network, contract and customer service for a few weeks or even months so best not to do anything hasty.

I agree, let's see the lie of the land first. slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 51 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am somewhat perturbed at o2's decision to sell off what, in my opinion, is a superior broadband and home telephone service. I have enjoyed the service for quite some time and because I have my mobile contract with o2 as well I receive a very welcome discount, making it, compared with many others, considerably less expensive and in todays financial climate very appealing. As others have asked will the discount be affected?

"Once the proposed deal completes, there will be no material change to a customer’s broadband service and no fundamental contract change."

What exactly or a best guess is meant by fundemental?

"Demand for high quality internet access is increasing all the time."

Does this mean that o2 don't already supply a high quality service and/or Sky can do better?

The huge reduction in o2 mail space will affect many many users and for some be unacceptable. If Sky have to honour peoples existing contracts/pricing etc. this may be their solution to increase their revenue by charging customers for additional mail space. 

Message 52 of 379

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
The huge reduction in o2 mail space will affect many many users and for some be unacceptable. If Sky have to honour peoples existing contracts/pricing etc. this may be their solution to increase their revenue by charging customers for additional mail space. 

I would use Gmail, 20Gb of space and it's secure.

And free.:smileyhappy:

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 53 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do people still use ISP provided email addresses? It makes switching broadband provider a much harder decision.

Message 54 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would have thought the cut of the email to 20mb could be classed a fundamental change in the contract I.e. reason to leave
Message 55 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I would use Gmail, 20Gb of space and it's secure.

And free.:smileyhappy:

As I said before, I (and many others probably) use their o2 email address as their primary email.

This means it is the one registered to all their contacts, forums, all their online accounts for billing purposes etc, ebay & similar & god knows what else. Therefore you can imagine what a task it will be notifying all these people of an email change. You are bound to forget someone. I say this because 20meg will not get you far.   

Message 56 of 379

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi goatty2uk,

Your mobile discount should be unaffected by this change but as ever, I am asking for clarification on everything in order to update you as quickly and concisely as I can.

I shall also get clarification on the specific issue of not having an attached land-line to convert over.

Hi marles7,

There are lot of variables to think about with this news and I'll try my very best this weekend to make sure you're in-the-know about the move.

Thanks very much for your constructive discussion points. Its so helpful to hear so i can ask for the info. Keep posting your thoughts on this.

Toby

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 57 of 379

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

As I said before, I (and many others probably) use their o2 email address as their primary email.

This means it is the one registered to all their contacts, forums, all their online accounts for billing purposes etc, ebay & similar & god knows what else. Therefore you can imagine what a task it will be notifying all these people of an email change. You are bound to forget someone. I say this because 20meg will not get you far.   

You're going to be busy then, no doubt you'll have enough time.Smiley Very Happy

Message 58 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi marles7,

There are lot of variables to think about with this news and I'll try my very best this weekend to make sure you're in-the-know about the move.

Thanks very much for your constructive discussion points. Its so helpful to hear so i can ask for the info. Keep posting your thoughts on this.

Toby

Thanks for the feedback. Whilst I realise this is in the early stages any additional reliable information is very welcome. 

Message 59 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm one of the many wanting out. I renewed may o2 contract, would you believe 16 days ago!! That means 12 months of something I don't want. I didn't enter into a contract with Sky and would never do so. I manage a website for my local camera club and therefore deal with a lot of large images which are submitted to me via email. I see the massive reduction in email space a material and significant change in my contract making it totally unsuitable for my needs. Indeed the service is not "fit for purpose". I do not see why I should have to pay to get out of a contract which is not for "not fit for purpose" service. I can't see how a contract can be enforced in these circumstances. I need clarity quickly as I would need to change providers quickly to ensure I can maintain the website. Any information would be welcome.

Message 60 of 379