cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News about O2’s Home Broadband and Home Phone Service

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

We have reached agreement with Sky for them to acquire our consumer Home Broadband and Home Phone business.

For more information on what this means, read more here: http://o2lin.kr/Z1CRJT

If you’d like to read our press release, it’s here: http://o2lin.kr/Z1zF10

O2 Social Media Team

Message 1 of 379
378 REPLIES 378

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi ivorwallison,

My intent is to keep you as informed as I can as more details emerge.

I know that many questions and concerns can arise from news of change such as this and this community is here for you to air your views (positive or negative) and to discuss it with everyone else.

Keep posted on this thread, as it will be updated with more information.

Many thanks, Toby

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 91 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks toby, keep it going.

i would like to thank whole o2 for the good work. been a pleasure to be with you for all that time.

now getting back to topic, im on a hunt for a new provider, not much time left. i will go fibre to justify the inevitable price increase over my current one(also wanted fibre anyway for bigger uploads). which isp ill settle time will tell. currently looking for best options so ill know what im standing on when letters will pop in.
Message 92 of 379

Paultrust
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 18 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have been a customer of 02 from the days when it was cellnet I have been loyal to the brand because of the excellent service. I am mortified at the thought of being sold to Sky and the Murdoch empire. I for one am NOT FOR SALE to Sky hoping the deal is not allowed to procede. Sky is no way an ethical company 

Message 93 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

I must confess that I am not overly enthusiastic about being moved over to Sky. I too have heard quite a few horror stories about Sky and the services and the support they provide, but they must have some satisfied customers somewhere or else they surely would have gone out of business by now. So, personally, I'm happy to go along on a "wait and see what happens" basis.

The only real question I have at this moment in time is what happens if we have a reduction on our phone and broadband package by way of topping up our O2 mobile phones by at least every three months. How is this likely to continue if my mobile is with O2 but the rest of my services are provided by Sky?

I will be quite happy to receive 12 months of free broadband from Sky as an incentive to stay with what I have, as long as Sky does not have any plans or intent to nail down those of us who do choose to stay, to a contract on Sky's terms once any sweeteners that they may be offering are over and done with.

Message 94 of 379

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

The only real question I have at this moment in time is what happens if we have a reduction on our phone and broadband package by way of topping up our O2 mobile phones by at least every three months.

We don't know yet we're waiting for more answers once the deal is completed.

Right now nothing changes.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 95 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable
Quite an interesting question, Scruffbag and I'm also curious to see how that would work out for you. I'm sure everything will be fine, but let's wait for the next few updates to come through.
Message 96 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks perksie and Leonard. I've have no problem with waiting. 

Message 97 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fantastic and good to hear. We're all really curious about the next steps, to be honest slight_smile
Message 98 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

My reaction to the prospect of o2 being sold to Sky: imagine a pretty (as in attractive) large cliff with a full head of grass, a refined steep drop, and a person suddenly being flipped off it and pay particular attention to the screaming and endless 'noooo' of said unfortunate person and you've probably got some indication of my enthusiasm at the possibility of this (evil) takeover. Sinkholes in place of cliffs work just as well I find for this particular scenario.

And if I could be any clearer, I'm going to behave like a bit of a petulant child here, sulking with my arms crossed, and say I really, really, really don't want to say be with Sky! Been with them previously and no I certainly do not like them - they're horrible. What's wrong with us O2? Why do you not love us anymore? Was it something we did or well, not to be too full of myself but, something I did? Ok, ok WE did. Did we take advantage of your free-phone number and superb customer service staff? We can change. We can be better. Just don't leave us.... (mummy!)

So er, yeah I'm possibly a little cut up over the news and possibly even developing abandonment issues. I'm just not ready to move on. o2 home phone and broadband was such a huge mega (byte) er, part of my life you know? Things'll never be the same again...*hiccup* Now if you'll excuse me it's time for my hysterical bout of crying, take 200.

Message 99 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

To the staff could we please get some firm information on the following.

People who are phoning for a MAC are getting mixed message. They are being offered free broadband with no contract lock allowing us to leave the standard way when Sky take over, while others are getting told it is a locked contract with all it entails, or it is upto Sky when they time comes.

Which is it, free to leave at any time without charges or is it a contract with the usual opt out charges?

I was offered it today when I asked for my MAC and was told that I could leave through the usual route with no charges when I was informed of Sky taking over fully. However due to the mixed messages I chose not to take it up.

Message 100 of 379