cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Virtual Interview- 30/04/14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Guys,

Our Network is a topic that is dear to the hearts of all of us here in O2 as well as to our customers.

We recently shared with you some of our Network stats and reinforced our overall commitment to strengthening our Network over the next few years here - and now we’re taking that a little further with you guys on the Community.

We’re having a ‘Networks’ Virtual Interview!

This is a no holds barred opportunity to ask some of our most Senior techies about our Network and our future plans. 

We have the fabulous Andy Conway and Brendan O'Reilly (and some of their teams) who look after the quality of our Network and oversee our future rollout plans. 

This is not just a 4G Virtual Interview. Our focus is just as much on our 2G and 3G networks as well, so we want to talk about all of that as well. 

We’re currently updating all of our Network throughout the UK as part of a huge modernisation programme – building a better experience for our entire customer base of 23 million.

Check out this EXCLUSIVE video with an insider view for all you guys in the Community.

The Virtual Interview will be held on the 30th of April between 12 and 1pm

To have your question answered, please make a reply post in this thread. Also, if you could write your question in bold font, it will help us to find them easily.

Remember no question is silly even if it may seem obvious so please ask away!

Thanks

Brad

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

When will 4G coverage be available in Northern ireland, please?

We’re rolling out 4G this summer in Belfast and Lisburn, more detailed plans including coverage maps will be available when we launch it and @Anonymous will post the details in the News and Announcements board.

Message 41 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice to see the opportunity for us to ask questions! My time is reqularly spent in either West Cornwall or Exeter, so I have a couple of questions about these areas. 

1) Is Leedstown / Godolphin / Townshend (TR27) an area that will benefit from improved 2G *and if we're lucky, the addition of 3G coverage*? At the moment, 'No Service' is regular sight on phone screens... Let alone any 3G. The nearest mast is 3 miles away in Hayle, maybe it's time for one to be built that serves this area closer. 

2) Have you guys had much involvement with Arqiva and the mobile infrastructure project? If so, how's the progress on rural locations - and is your figure of 200 3G locations in addition to any sites that may be launched through the M.I.P? 

3) When will Exeter benefit from 4G coverage? 

4) Finally, I think while it may be hard to do so, O2 should be more open with their network development plans? I.e. giving a rough idea of which areas are planned for upgrades and development. At least Three show which cities will get 4G by the end of the year... http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/When_will_I_get_4G

Customers have a right to know what's going on, I feel, and while any plans may not be set in stone, it would be nice to have an indication of what may be in the pipeline. 

Many thanks if you do answer my questions!

Hi tad20,

We are planning to add 3g and 4g to the area. We will be looking to optimise coverage and that along with new equipment will hopefully improve 2G.

We’ve got many ways to improve coverage in the area, including adding 3G and 4G.These are all parts of our massive investments we talked about in some of the posts above.

As for MIP we are very involved in this and we are keen to push this forward as fast as possible. We will be growing out our network over and above the MIP project.

Exeter is in our plans to be improved as part of the above.

Message 42 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

we’ll look at the specifics for you.

CV11 4FL

No data transmission (despite full signal), since October 2013.

Please fix it......

@Anonymous for postcode, @MI5.

@Could you PM your details to @Toby please and we'll get this investigated for you.

Message 43 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

Just a quick one from me...

Where is O2 with VOLTE?

We are looking very closely at this and how we best deploy this capability in the future, working with our suppliers and other operators in the Telefonica group. 

We consider new technology into account when looking to improve our network.

Our colleagues in Telefonica Germany have been trialling the technology on behalf of the Telefonica group

Message 44 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

interesting to see a few comments / questions from the southwest on here....

i personally still feel o2 has a far better offering of service than vodfone orange etc.. it is frustrating that i do have voice most of the time but data can be very sporadic at best..its a little embarressing when your work colleuges have 3g data on EE when you struggle with gprs...can you not do something with 802.11 make it more accessible when not in a 3g/h+ data area some sort of software that enables your phone to automatically pick up 802.11 when you fall below an expected speed on 3g???  i read pamplets about wifi areas (bt openzone o2 hotspots etc) have used them in the past but feel its too much of a ball ache signing onto them if you could give us a seemless switch over while your upgrades go through that would be better and im sure it is very doable.....

Thanks for your comments on the SW, we have exciting plans for the southwest as already shared but it will take some time.  O2 Wifi provides a good solution for data access - O2 already has 10,000 Wifi hotspots across the UK. We are already looking at trialling technology that will provide even better integration between our mobile network and Wifi to make it easier to seamlessly transition.
Message 45 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
sorry late to the party!
can you tell me if 3g and 4g is coming to ng32 2ef please?
thanks
Message 46 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Why is exactly why I asked about BoostBoxes in the 2nd post in this thread @jonsie

I've asked before and just been told that's how it is. Hopefully a more comprehensive explanation can be achieved in this virtual interview. slight_smile

Hey @jonsie and @Anonymous

We don’t want to charge you for a boost box we want you to be able to use TU Go so you don’t need to just have coverage in one place. We will continue to improve TU Go for the benefit of all our customers.

Message 47 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64 wrote:

@Anonymous Thanks

Timescales would be nice to know and will you be divulging the list of 200 areas to get 3g ?

Hey Adam,

As you've already seen in our press release the 200 areas will be this year, part of our biggest ever network modernisation. When we will make these changes to the network in a customers area we let them know through a variety of ways, texts, emails and many more! 

Message 48 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys

That’s it. Sooooo many great questions we hope that you like our answers. If you guys have any more questions do drop Toby or Chiara a PM and they’ll be happy to help and we’ll keep you guys in the loop with what’s going on.

Brendan, Andrew C, Andy S and Karl.

Message 49 of 49